How Bad Is This? Am I Being Retentive?

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 20 May 2011 , 4:36pm by sillywabbitz

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:53am
post #1 of 7

Could use some honest, constructive feedback if anyone is available to help. No daggers or flames thrown here, just need opinions.

OK, so normally my cakes need some leveling, and by the time the leveling is done the top "crust" just barely comes off. Which makes for a "pretty" cake with no crust touching the filling in the middle of the two layers.

This time, my batter amount was just a little bit too low. I have a large 14" square cake that I have just leveled. If I take it down any more with the leveler, it won't be the appropriate height once frosted. The trouble is, each layer has the brown "crust" (except for a 2" section all the way around the outside, from where the edges were leveled).

I know it probably tastes the same, but I normally try to make the cakes "pretty on the inside". This one is just not up to my normal par, and I am out of time to bake additional layers.

Am I being retentive here? Do others leave that top crust on instead of "leveling" it off, even when filling is going between the two layers? Am I making mountains out of molehills? Many thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:09am
post #2 of 7

I prefer my cakes not have that brown stuff in the middle either. I also like the look of a pretty cake on the inside. So I'm with ya! thumbs_up.gif

One option is to bake a third layer then use 3 small layers (each less than 2" tall) to create the 4" tier. I've had to do this a time or two and it really makes for a pretty cake on the inside!

the other thing to factor is that we are more picky on our cakes than the average consumer. Odds are VERY good that while you and I would notice the brown "skin" in the middle, no one else would even see it, let alone form an opinion about it. thumbs_up.gif

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much for replying! Normally I might bake a third layer, but am out of time for this wedding. Also, this is the base tier, and the top 10" and 7" tiers are already filled & crumb coated. This is a bride that would notice if one cake had three shorter layers of cake and the others had two thick layers. We are definitely our own worst critics! Appreciate your feedback icon_smile.gif

LayerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LayerCakes Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 7

looks wise, not much you can do about the brown, might want to use a simple syrup as those areas tend to be a bit dry tasting.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

I've kept the crust on cakes before and while it's not as pretty, I thought it tasted just fine.

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 7

That's my hubby's favorite part - I have to save it for him whenever I level a cake!
I'm with everyone else, as long as it isn't dry I don't think anyone but you would know the difference icon_biggrin.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7

I don't really see an issue here. The edges and the bottom are slightly golden so having that crust isn't a huge issue to me. I think the average consumer wouldn't even notice. If this were a bride you thought was already high maintence could you cut the layer to remove the brown and then torte and fill with a little extra filling to increase the height?

I don't think it would be a big deal to a customer though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%