Now This Is A Challenge!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 18 May 2011 , 4:47am by Buttercream_warrior

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 18 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #1 of 5

A client called me last night to discuss getting a cake for her parents 50th anniversary celebration NEXT WEEK.

Originally she wanted to feed about 15 people and have the cake represent the likes and interests of her parents.

Then today, I got an e-mail from her that she spoke with her siblings and they decided that they want to do a more romantic anniversary style cake in two tiers.

Here's where it gets tricky...
Every year one their anniversary, the husband gives his wife flowers. The bouquet of flowers contains a different flower for EVERY year they were married.

So, being that this is a 50th anniversary cake... the children want the cake to have 50 DIFFERENT flowers on it to represent the parents tradition.

Now... If I had months to work on this, I'd have collected new cutters and veiners and learned some new flowers. BUT since the order is due next Friday, I don't really have time for that. Especially with my current orders. And nobody will sell you just 1 flower.

So.. thoughts on how I can pull this off?

I did contact Creative Sugar Flowers and Virginia told me she had about 25 sets she could sell me 1 or 2 flowers from. So I'm about 1/2 way there. Still need 25 more. Will find out the exact flowers shortly as she's putting together a list to send me as I type.

I'd love to hear some suggestions! By the way, I haven't quoted the client yet. This may prove to be cost prohibitive once I research it. But I would love to be able to pull it off. And of course, the faster I get her a price, the sooner I'm able to get my order in so I have what I need in time! Or... we go with plan B.

4 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:49am
post #2 of 5

Have you considered using silk flowers that you can buy from a craft store?

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:21am
post #3 of 5

I know that there are people who do flowers without specific cutters. Some use one or two cutters to do a range of flowers. Some use pulling/stretching techniques. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I've seen some if this stuff. I'm sure a Google search will find you some info.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:37am
post #4 of 5

What a beautiful story! I can only hope to create traditions like this one. I dont make very detailed or exquisite sugar flowers...yet, but I would be willing to make and send you one. Now all you need is 24 more friends to volunteer a flower icon_smile.gif

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

A client called me last night to discuss getting a cake for her parents 50th anniversary celebration NEXT WEEK.

Originally she wanted to feed about 15 people and have the cake represent the likes and interests of her parents.

Then today, I got an e-mail from her that she spoke with her siblings and they decided that they want to do a more romantic anniversary style cake in two tiers.

Here's where it gets tricky...
Every year one their anniversary, the husband gives his wife flowers. The bouquet of flowers contains a different flower for EVERY year they were married.

So, being that this is a 50th anniversary cake... the children want the cake to have 50 DIFFERENT flowers on it to represent the parents tradition.

Now... If I had months to work on this, I'd have collected new cutters and veiners and learned some new flowers. BUT since the order is due next Friday, I don't really have time for that. Especially with my current orders. And nobody will sell you just 1 flower.

So.. thoughts on how I can pull this off?

I did contact Creative Sugar Flowers and Virginia told me she had about 25 sets she could sell me 1 or 2 flowers from. So I'm about 1/2 way there. Still need 25 more. Will find out the exact flowers shortly as she's putting together a list to send me as I type.

I'd love to hear some suggestions! By the way, I haven't quoted the client yet. This may prove to be cost prohibitive once I research it. But I would love to be able to pull it off. And of course, the faster I get her a price, the sooner I'm able to get my order in so I have what I need in time! Or... we go with plan B.

ebay sells gumpaste flowers by the singles..good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%