Too Much Cake?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 11 May 2011 , 10:54pm by sweetnessx3

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

Last year I made a cake for a graduating class of nursing students , it needed to serve 400 . Thats what I made , enough for 400. Theyve asked me to do another cake for this year but went on to say ...I need it to feed 400 just like last year but please not as much cake we had way to much left over !

What the heck ? Do I just assume 100 guest wont eat and make it for 300 ? Confused icon_confused.gif

Thanks, Lisa

4 replies
sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:55am
post #2 of 5

I would talk to them and let them know that based on a piece of cake being x by x, you did make cake for 400 last year, if they would like you to though you could make cake for say 350, in hopes that it was enough and not too little. If you are doing half sheet cakes this may be an option. It could be that who ever cut the cake did not also cut it according to your serving size. Half sheets are usually cut into 2x2 pieces but they may not have. Or if you are doing taller cakes your serving size might 1 1/2 by 2, and they cut it more in 1 1/4 by 2. Or it could be that while they have you make cake for 400, that either they did not have 400 show up or 400 did not eat cake. I know many graduations like that offer a reception, but some don't particpate due to having just had dinner or are planning to go to dinner.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #3 of 5

Ha! Don't you just love it when people are sooo helpful icon_sad.gif How are you to understand how much cake they *really* want/need with statements like that?
I agree w/the other poster - there are many reasons why they could have lots leftover. Size of servings, # of people who actually ate cake etc, etc.
If it was me, i'd make it about 1/4 to 1/3 smaller and just pray there is enough. Don't know how much you actually gave them. Was it sheets or tiered or somewhere inbetween? How do you think you can cut down on the amount and still give them a nice design?

sweetnessx3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

OH YES I DO LOL!

It was a stacked cake

14in square on the bottom
10in square books
8 inch square carved to resemble nursing scrubs
top was a graduation cap
2/ 12 inch heart cakes
and a 12x18 sheet cake .
I hope thats right lol cant remember its been so long ....
I will upload a pic in my photos .

I knew that was a ton of cake but she made it clear she needed enough for 400 guest , I knew some wouldnt eat . Maybe I should just make enough for 300 icon_confused.gif

sweetnessx3 Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 5

Whoops it was 2 sheet cakes and 1 heart cake . I added picture to my photos .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%