Uuuuggh! I Made A Collossal Mistake!

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 12 May 2011 , 3:20am by Annabakescakes

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 9

When I have a bride request a wedding cake and/ or groom's cake, I ask for 50% of the cost no later than two weeks prior to the delivery date. So in January, when Bride X contacted me, I wrote all her information in my appointment book, circling the two week deadline (May 15) in pencil and the delivery date (May 28 ) in red. Some how in my twisted brain a few weeks ago I got it in my head that May 15 was the delivery date.

Here's where the collossal mistake comes in...I didn't realize my mistake until this morning AFTER I completed the groom's cake! Even when I called the bride to tell her that the deposit was due, she didn't realize the mistake either! UUUUUUUUUUUgggggggggghhhhhhhh! So I now have an 18" long cowboy boot Reese's peanut butter cup flavor cake sitting in my refrigerator that isn't due for TWO WEEKS! Thank goodness I hadn't started the wedding cake yet...I literally had the supplies for the first layer in my arms when I realized my mistake.

So now I have two batches of Sugarshack's buttercream sitting in a bowl on my counter, and I'm wondering is there any way to keep this stuff good until I am ready to use it in two weeks? I don't have any orders between now and then, so that would be a lot of buttercream to just throw away!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 9

The bc should be fine. Throw it in the fridge. The groom's cake is probably a donation to your local firehouse or shelter.

PS, Deposits should be required when the date is booked. Final payment should be due at least 3 weeks prior, because it can take a check that long to clear.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 9

It could be worse! You caught your error and the cakes are going to be delivered on the correct date. Again, it could be a lot worse.

Sugarshack's icing can be stored in the fridge. When you are ready to use it, pull it out of the fridge, bring it to room temp, and then stick it in your KA for a couple of minutes. You'll be just fine!

Misdawn Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you sooo much! I'm glad to know I can at least save the buttercream!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 9

You can save them both. You can freeze the BC AND THE CAKE.

Box the cake, wrap the box in saran a couple of times & then in foil. Day or 2 before the cake is due, defrost the whole thing in the fridge, and then let sit at room temp, still wrapped, for several hours before unwrapping.

It'll be just fine. It will taste fresh baked & look freshly decorated.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 9

I agree w/Blakescakes. Just box the cowboy boot, put the box into a big plastic bag and into the fzr. Hopefully you do have fzr space for it icon_smile.gif Same with the icing. Both should fare just fine.

Misdawn Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:14am
post #7 of 9

Well I didn't have the freezer space for the cake, but a friend offered to buy it for cost so at least I broke even on that. Next time (hopefully there won't be one!) I will remember that I can freeze a cake! Thanks everyone!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:17am
post #8 of 9

Wow, some friend! (sarcasm!) Cost? I'd rather donate to a good cause than have a "friend" insult me with the "cost" of the cake! Cakes take FOREVER when you add cleaning up the mess you make!! She (or he) could have at least given you $20 or $30 for your time. I might offer a deal like that, but to have someone offer it to me, I would want to shake them!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #9 of 9

oh, BTW, it could have been worse. You could have forgotten to do it and have it due! THAT would be HORRIBLE!!! icon_cry.gif At least now you have had practice thumbs_up.gif She if you can shave some time off when you do it for-real. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%