Business Name Opinions Wanted

Business By kristiemarie Updated 9 May 2011 , 7:01pm by carmijok

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 26

I've started to get my things together to start my business. (shaking hands, sweaty pits...yikes!)

I've decided on a name.

love.eat.cake

What do you think? I won't have a store front, since I'm a home baker. I will just have my website. I did a search on google and it doesn't appear that there are any bakeries called that. Which I found weird but whatever.

Honest opinion....love it? hate it? take it or leave it?

What do you all think??

25 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 26

I like it but you should make sure Eat Love Pray (movie or book) doesn't have some kind of trademark or registration that would preclude you using a variation.

caferock05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caferock05 Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 26

I like it! icon_smile.gif

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 26

As the written word, i like it. But how will it sound when you answer the phone etc? Just a thought.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 26

I'm going to say I'm not a fan. You have two verbs and one noun. It seems unbalanced because of that.

kristiemarie Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

I like it but you should make sure Eat Love Pray (movie or book) doesn't have some kind of trademark or registration that would preclude you using a variation.

Is that even possible? I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 26

I don't think there would be an infringement issue with the similarity to Eat Pray Love. If you called your business "Eat Cake Love" with a similar logo there might be an issue, but you can't protect the use of three lowercase words as a business name.

There actually is a business called Eat Cake Love in Toronto (you can google it), and they even rip off the logo of the movie. That would be an example of a high risk for an infringement lawsuit.

Re your name, I agree with Emma...the name looks great in print but it sounds awkward when said aloud. Something like "cake.love" might work better.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Is that even possible? I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!!

I wouldn't think so. Plus it's different businesses. I thought (but I might be wrong) that you can't trademark words unless you created them. You can't copy them in a logo for example, but you're free to use the words of the English language as you please.

Eat Pray Love is not the same as love.eat.cake at all. You even have dots in the middle.

Long ago, the magazine I work for was sued for using a word in the name of a magazine that another magazine had in their title. All we had to do was show posters of Bride Magazine, Modern Bride, New Jersey Bride, New York Bride, etc. to prove our point. You can't trademark the word Bride for example.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 26

I was hoping Jason would chime in - he is very informed on the legal bits. Just wanted to throw that out there b/c stranger things have happened.

There is a shop called Cake Love in D.C. I believe.

But I still like it.

kristiemarie Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #10 of 26

Great input guys! Thanks!!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:26am
post #11 of 26

i'd have to be concerned about using a trendy novelty of the period between words. It feels current now, as so many people on the internet use it to place emphasis on whatever they consider the best. thing. ever. at the moment, but it is going to have relevance in 2 or 5 or 10 years? It could look incredibly dated once the trend has moved on.

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 26

Now I am debating if I want that name or not. LOL

Still thinking....

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 26

What about "Cake Fancy"?
"Imagination Cakery"?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:

What about "Cake Fancy"?

I have to admit that I am not a fan of this name. I think it sounds kinda cheesy. Sorry.

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 26

No, please, tell me! I am just rattling things out right now.

Cake Around the Corner?

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 26

Sweet Love Cakery?

I'm not a huge fan of rhyming names either (Creation Station, you know...). And don't want something cheesy, over done, etc.

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 26

Sugar on Top Cakery?

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 26

Eat Sweet Cakery?

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 26

Artistic Edibles Cakery?

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 26

Artisan Cakery?

jason_kraft Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #21 of 26

One way to approach naming a business is to examine what your competitive advantage will be -- what your business will do better than the competition and what will make customers choose your business instead of another bakery. If your name communicates your competitive advantage well, marketing will be easier, since the name itself will tell people why they should buy from you.

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #22 of 26

Is it bad that I don't really know what my competitive advantage will be? I mean, there are people better out there and there are people worse. More expensive and cheaper.

But I can't say cheaper. Or better looking. How do you phrase things to make them more appealing?

jason_kraft Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:53pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:

Is it bad that I don't really know what my competitive advantage will be?

That would probably be a higher priority than the name of the business...if you think from a customer's perspective, you should be able to name at least one reason why the customer would buy from you instead of a competitor. It could be a unique product or service you offer, your relationships with venues or wedding planners, a talent for high-quality decorations, marketing to a specific niche market, a wide product assortment, etc.

kristiemarie Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:23pm
post #24 of 26

Thanks Jason!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:58pm
post #25 of 26

What's wrong with Kristimarie Custom Cakes?
Cakes by Kristi, Kristemarie's Cakery. Having your name in your business can work to personalize it.
Soon people will just refer to you as Kristimarie's (I'm just going by your username!). No mix up with other bakers then!
Yes, you will HAVE to know your advantage in the marketing aspects of your business in order for you to succeed...and if you can work it in fine, but it doesn't always have to reflect in the name. Using cake in your name at least shows what your business is and to me, if it's personalized people can relate to it more. Our top bakeries around here are Ann's, and Merritt's. They've been around forever too.
Just a thought! Good luck.

thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:01pm
post #26 of 26

What's wrong with Kristimarie Custom Cakes?
Cakes by Kristi, Kristemarie's Cakery. Having your name in your business can work to personalize it.
Soon people will just refer to you as Kristimarie's (I'm just going by your username!). No mix up with other bakers then!
Yes, you will HAVE to know your advantage in the marketing aspects of your business in order for you to succeed...and if you can work it in fine, but it doesn't always have to reflect in the name. Using cake in your name at least shows what your business is and to me, if it's personalized people can relate to it more. Our top bakeries around here are Ann's, and Merritt's. They've been around forever too.
Just a thought! Good luck.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%