Red Icing

Decorating By PattyCakes12 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 3:28am by Bluehue

PattyCakes12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyCakes12 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:26am
post #1 of 12

I have a cake to make this weekend and I'm having trouble with making the buttercream red...I use all of the wilton red colors and the icing is coming out like a red orange. I've looked online to a couple of websites & tried everything. I've tried using black as well to make it darker but it gives me a light purple color. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Please help thanks!

11 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:51am
post #2 of 12

If you are using Wilton colors you will have a problem. Try Americolor super red will give you red right away with not a lot of gel color. I was so thrilled to find this works really well.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:51am
post #3 of 12

If you're getting orange you just need to keep adding more and more coloring. Sometimes like a whole jar or more. Americolor super red will get you there with less dye. thumbs_up.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:54am
post #4 of 12

Try using Americolor super red its way more intense & you dont need as much to get the color red.IMO wiltons red is useless I NEVER got "red" with thier gel colors...

Sometimes all you need is to give it more time to settle. I did some red icing a month ago & had some leftover icing, I poped them into the freezer & used them a week ago the color went from one shade of red to 3 shades deeper/darker. Not only red I tried a couple of other dark colors too...I dont know if its the freezer or the color itself.... but theyr go way darker. So maybe try the freezer icon_cool.gif

HTH

PattyCakes12 Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #5 of 12

Can I find Americolor at a local shop or online? Thanks again for helping me out, really appreicate it icon_lol.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:19am
post #6 of 12

Depends where you live....

I ordered mine online, ebay to be specific

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:36am
post #7 of 12

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you they now have it!

PattyCakes12 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:52am
post #8 of 12

Hey everyone I'm back again, with the same topic, I was able to get the Americolor red from a local supply store, I'm using 50/50 of gumpaste & fondant & still can't get the red I want, please help again icon_sad.gif

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:54am
post #9 of 12

it will take ALOT of red gel color to get it red. the minnie mouse cake i made took 3 total bottles to color the fondant and gum paste. just keep adding....and once you add it in, if its not red red, let it rest overnight in a sealed plastic bag. the color will intensify after a day or two.

PattyCakes12 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:01am
post #10 of 12

Oh boy! Thank god I was able to get a big bottle & doing the red fondant ahead of time, lol, thanks!!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:09am
post #11 of 12

I think that Pantry Chef is giving away 3 free Americolors...I ordered mine 2wks ago...and I did get them just paid 4.00 shipping....I ordered the 3 I use the most.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:28am
post #12 of 12

Don't forget to let your coloured fondant sit over night - as the colour will *explode* and a different shade will be seen the next day
I colour my fondant as far in advance as i can - for that very reason.
especially your bold primary colours thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%