Fillings For Wedding Cakes No Need To Refigerate

Baking By Braaatz Updated 4 May 2011 , 1:25am by sillywabbitz

Braaatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Braaatz Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a wedding cake in August and need some filling ideas. The tiers are going to be Strawberry, Chocolate, and Fudge Marble. The cake will not be able to be refrigerated because i am a home baker just starting out and have nothing big enough to keep the cake in. What are some fillings that would be able to withstand sitting out. I was told that the fondant helps the cake and filling stay fresh also. I need a filling that will not spoil and stay fresh until cake is cut. I usually make and decorate the cakes i do about a day in advance, they stay out on my counter till delivery and are always tastey and fresh. Does anyone else do this? Thanks for your help!!!

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 8

I only ever refrigerate my cakes if I use cream cheese frosting. For the strawberry cake I like a true strawberry buttercream but fresh strawberries are very perishable so I use the following:

1 stick of butter room temp
10 oz jar of strawberry jam (seedless is preferred but not neck)
2 lbs of powdered sugar

I warm the jam in the microwave, stir until smooth. If there are seeds, I hold a hand strainer over the bowl and run the jam through. If it's hot let it cool a bit. Then mix the jam and butter together. Add powdered sugar to taste and consistency. I usually use the full bag if it's going to be warm and 3/4 of a bag if it's not too hot outside. This does not require refrigeration and you can choose any jam flavor you like.

Braaatz Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 8

That sounds great! I will have to try that when i do her tasting! Thank You So Much!!

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 8

I just make my regular buttercream and add in the preserves (raspberry is my favorite). Can't you refrigerate it unstacked?? i wait until a couple hours before and stack mine but keep them refrigerated the whole time (except while decorating)

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 8

Nutella is a yummy filling that doesn't need any refrigeration. Check out Bettercreme too if you would like a mousse-like filling. Contrary to popular belief, Bettercreme does not need refrigeration. You can add preserves to it as well.

Edit: forgot to mention my fave Bettercreme filling. Cookies and cream. Crush up Oreos and mix with whipped up Bettercreme. So yummy!!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 8

I like to utilize the non-perishable filling sleeves. There are a ton of threads already on cake central about these sleeves. Sometimes if I want to change them up a little I add them to either my regular buttercream or mix into already whipped Bettercreme. Between the two, your options are endless!

You could also do a variety of ganaches (white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate - yum!!!).

Braaatz Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:11am
post #7 of 8

Where can i get the Bettercreme at? That sounds like a very goo ida. Thanks! Cindy619 I'm not sure what a filling sleeve is. Where n i get those from and what are they, lol.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:25am
post #8 of 8

I can get both Bettercream and sleeve fillings at my local cake supply but at my shop you have to ask for both. Liquid bettercream is stored in the freezer generally so it lasts longer. Some people have Smart and Final , cash and carry or Gordon food supplies. Sadly we have none of these in Dallas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%