Refridgeration ?

Decorating By nikki1273 Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 7:13pm by nikki1273

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:06am
post #1 of 7

I need some help please...I am confused as to what cakes/icings need refridgerated. I made a batch of mocha cupcakes with mocha buttercream. The batter for the cupcakes has milk in it. I assume that these need refridgerated or is it only required for cakes with filling that will go bad? I believe that buttercream should be ok @ room temp because of all the sugar. TIA

6 replies
Takeelah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Takeelah Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe this chart will help? http://www.baking911.com

[edit: Not sure why link isn't working. Go to baking(911).com w/o parenthesis. Click on "Decorating" and click on "Icing and Glaze Choices". Scroll down to red & yellow chart.]

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 7

Link does't work.

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 7

Link doesn't work.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 7

I have used b'cream made with butter & Crisco for years and not refrig'ed cakes. Never had a problem - whoooopppsss - did once in 110 degree heat.
Using milk in baked goods is the same - no refrig needed for up to 3-4 days.
I have kept cake iced w/b'cream in my frig for more than 10 days (wrapped in plastic wrap) and found it to be just fine. This was cake &/or scraps leftover from orders etc that I kept for my family. We are not big cake eaters and often it would sit in the frig for days until hubby would ask 'is any of that cake still left?' icon_smile.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 7

I also you butter cream with milk and have never had a problem with refrigerating it. From what I understand the sugar and or butter balances the milk out and it does not have to be refrigerated. Have also done mouses and banana creams etc.. to fill and that is the only time I refrigerate and take tell person getting to take out about an ohour prior to seriving and than re-refigerate once they are done and I have never had any problems with any one coming back.

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 7

This is what I was thinking but was not sure, thanks all for your input!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%