Help With Timeline

Decorating By Takeelah Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm by Takeelah

Takeelah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Takeelah Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:04am
post #1 of 10

Hi guys. I love to bake but I have never baked for an event before, and I somehow got talked into baking for a wedding. There will be about 100 people. I plan on doing a dessert table and will be making 2-3 types of filled cupcakes (150 total), a 6" cake tier for the top of the cupcake tower, 50-75 whoopie pies, & 100 cake pops.

First question, what do you think of the amounts? Too many/too few/ Just right?

Secondly, if the wedding is on Saturday, when would you start baking? I was thinking Cake pops on Tuesday, Whoopie Pies on Wednesday & Cupcakes & Cake on Thursday and Friday?

Thanks in advance, I'm sick to my stomach that I agreed to this! LoL!

9 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 10

The cake pops can be made even the week before. The cake can be baked on a wednesday for a saturday wedding or bake the week before and freeze. Cupcakes are the real problem. I never make them more than 1 day in advance, thus on friday for saturday event. I find they dry out too much.
As far as the amounts go, it really depends on what else is being served, full dinner or a cocktail party. But 1 cupcake per person is more than enough, why do 150? Not knowing the size of your cake pops, it is hard to judge serving amounts. Why whoopie pies, are they big where you are from? With all that cake (cupcakes and cake pops) I would have some cookies instead of more cake in the form of whoopie pies. JMHO

Takeelah Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:37am
post #3 of 10

The cake pops are standard size, like on Bakerella's blog. (about 50 per recipe) and the whoopie pies are because they are a trendy dessert table item for weddings for 2011. I will make them smallish, no larger than 3" each.

Thanks for the info on the cake pops. Do they need to be refrigerated if I make them the week before? I guess 150 is too many cupcakes for 100 people, especially with the other items. Maybe I can make less and do them on Friday.

Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

Thought of another question, I am making monogrammed fondant discs http://www.etsy.com/listing/59269922/food-safe-acrylic-stamp-for-fondant?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=cupcake+monogram+stamp&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade for about half of the cupcakes. How far in advance can I make them? And do I need to put them in the fridge or freezer?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 10

cake pops only need to be refrigerated if you use a binder that has to be refrigerated, like cream cheese.
put the fondant discs on a cookie sheet, wrap and freeze. they will last a long time thus can be done far in advance.

I still would try to do some cookies for people that don't like or eat cake since you are doing a dessert table not a cake table. lol

good luck

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:58am
post #5 of 10

I agree with Pattycakesnj about the amount of cupcakes. Surely, 100 is more then enough plus all the other desserts you are going to prepare.

I say prep as far in advance as you can, especially when you have so much to work on. Many cakes can be safely frozen for up to two months if wrapped correctly. I have never baked this far in advance, (I never have my act together that far in advance!) If I am working on a wedding cake, I do try to have the cake itself baked and frozen about a week earlier. I have frozen cupcakes also with no real problems. (I have hot clumsy hands, I can not ice a fresh cake with out mashing it!)
If I really have my act together, I mix my icing a day or two in advance too, but not much more ahead then that.

Hope this helps,
tokazodo

Takeelah Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:00am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I still would try to do some cookies for people that don't like or eat cake since you are doing a dessert table not a cake table. lol

good luck

LoL, good point, but I don't think I'll have time! There will be jars of candy and some chocolates at least. As long as the bride is happy (and these are the things she wants) then I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks again for your help! thumbs_up.gif

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:25am
post #7 of 10

I freeze cupcakes all the time. Freeze them right after they cool enough to handle. I have even frozen them frosted with buttercream. Defrost them in the fridge and then bring to room temp, this will cut down on any condensation. I too would skip the whoopie pies and do some cookies instead. But you need to do what the bride wants. Cake pops will last at least a week but I keep them in the fridge just to stay of the safe side, especially if I am using cream cheese frosting.

Takeelah Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #8 of 10

Maybe I should add something else. I have been dying to try these mini pie pops http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/3747939842_02ccc4280e_o.jpg and I think I can freeze them in advance! Ugh, I need to clean out my freezer...

The cupcakes are bananas foster w/ a cinnamon-rum-cream cheese frosting and ganache-topped champagne cupcakes w/ a chocolate covered strawberry, so they are very different from the whoopie pies and the cake pops.

If I use canned cream cheese frosting for the cake pops, do they still need to be refrigerated? I can always do lemon/cream cheese in white chocolate to keep the items varied. I appreciate the feedback. You guys are very helpful!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:20am
post #9 of 10

When I try to do something big like this, I try to keep it simple as possible. Some times even the simplest dessert can look wonderful.
A colorful plater of cut up fruit or fruit kabobs (remember we're trying to cut back on hand work) would look wonderful in the midst of the dessert table. Fresh bright red strawberries, liime colored kiwis, orange wedges, all look nice next to any kind of cake. White chocolate and chocolate covered Oreos or pretzels can make a statement, and can made at least a week a head of time.
You can find nice glass vases at the Dollar Store and fill them with bright colored candies like M&M's, Skittles, Rasinettes, etc...and this should impress the children.

Personally, I feel wedding cake/cupcakes should be the star of the show and I wouldn't want to up stage it with any other cake type products.

Oh well, that's my two cents worth.
Hope it helps.

Takeelah Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 10

Good information here, I wish I had asked about this before I promised all of these things to the bride. (For free, no less!) It is a wedding gift and it is my first time baking for an event, so I thought it would be good just to get the exposure.

I will be doing a theme colored table, with jars of blue candy and lindt truffles wrapped in blue foil. Hopefully, that will break it up a little. I do agree with having the cupcake tower be the center of attention though. Ooh, chocolate dipped oreos & pretzels will be easy enough to do, thanks for the idea!

I have a feeling I'll be learning some lessons the hard way. Thanks for your input everyone. The wedding isn't until June, but I'll post some pictures when it happens. Were you guys nervous your first time? I'm a nervous wreck already!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%