How Do I Clean My Brushes?

Decorating By lollyponpon Updated 5 Jul 2017 , 1:35am by bubs1stbirthday

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #1 of 10

I have recently used some dark coloured chalks/petal dusts.
I thought i just used vodka to soak my brushes--that was apparently a tip on cleaning brushes when you use something else, because the brushes are still dark@@@

what do i do to get the brushes clean?? i think i may have ruined my favourite brush icon_sad.gif

thanks for any tips and advice,
lolly

9 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:37am
post #2 of 10

If you can't get it clean then keep it for dark/bright colours and get another one just for light colours.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:52am
post #3 of 10

i don't know about vodka to clean them, but I have heard of dusting them in cornstarch/cornflour.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:21am
post #4 of 10

Shake off any remaining dusts or chalks. Then gently wash thremain in the ferrulee bristles with soap and water. Rinse them really well with warm water (hot water will cause ferrule and wooden handles to expand). Shake off excess water, and squeeze out excess from ferrule (metal part) down. Blot dry with paper towel. Reshape bristles using your fingers. Then let your brushes airdry. I usually stick them in a piece of foam-bristles up.
Another tip- buy the best brushes you can afford. If you take care of them they will last alot longer and you won't have bristles falling out on your cake.
Hope this helps
Nancy icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:42am
post #5 of 10

For removing petal dusts from brushes, you can simply use cornstarch. Dab your brush in cornstarch and then dab it all off on a paper towel. Repeat a couple more times as needed. Quick and easy!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 10

I'm going to give my vote to the cornstarch method as well.

karencuppycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karencuppycake Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 10

Yep cornstarch works best!

TDT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TDT Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 10

I always soak my brushes in soap and baking soda. It works wonders!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 10

As an artist, I learned to clean my oil paint brushes with turpentine, then wash thoroughly with soap and hot water.  Obviously, turpentine is not required to clean brushes of petal dusts and gel colors, so I rinse them thoroughly in water, then wash them with dish detergent, several times if necessary, until all color has been removed.  Rinse to remove soap residue.  My brushes last for years and years.

Dark colors can stain light colored bristles, but once thoroughly cleaned they can be used for any color without contamination.  

Note:  Even my red sable brushes shed the occasional hair.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 5 Jul 2017 , 1:35am
post #10 of 10

I wash mine with a drop of dish washing liquid and water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%