Review - Babycakes Cake Pop Maker

Baking By FromScratchSF Updated 13 May 2012 , 1:40am by unctoothlady

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 5:38am
post #211 of 241

Has anyone tried chocolate cake balls yet? I have tried a couple different recipes and haven't been satisfied with the results, one of them my fav choc cake recipe! They were from scratch. They just turned out a bit dryer than I would like and I don't think I over cooked them...I baked them all diff temps to see what I would like best. I would really appreciate it if someone could share a choc recipe that was yummy and successful??? Thanks for your help!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #212 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Has anyone tried chocolate cake balls yet? I have tried a couple different recipes and haven't been satisfied with the results, one of them my fav choc cake recipe! They were from scratch. They just turned out a bit dryer than I would like and I don't think I over cooked them...I baked them all diff temps to see what I would like best. I would really appreciate it if someone could share a choc recipe that was yummy and successful??? Thanks for your help!

Sorry I didn't mean temps i meant times!

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:00am
post #213 of 241

Anyone in Australia found a decent priced sipping for one or a site in Oz selling it?

Thanks for the review icon_smile.gif looks great!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:08pm
post #214 of 241
Quote:

Have you tried any of the recipes that came with it? I made the white recipe, with high quality vanilla, and it was awsome. Next time I'm going to use vanilla bean paste and add sprinkles.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:59am
post #215 of 241

Re: sticky chocolate on cake balls. If you are using pure chocolate, you need to temper it so it becomes thin, very shiny and cracks when tiy bit into it. Othewise use compound chocolate. And you can add Copha if you are in Australia to make the choc set harder and be a thinner consistency when working with it. HTH!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:39pm
post #216 of 241

Ladies, has anyone come up with decent packaging yet? I'm drawing a blank just short of individually wrapping each pop in a cello bag, which I don't want to do! I just want to put them in a box of some sort and call it a day. Does any such box exist?

Jen

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:55pm
post #217 of 241

There's a box. Maybe you can get something made like this.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=BX1502&sid=CHAMP

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #218 of 241

It only holds 8? That's dumb, who sells baked goods in 8s? If it held 12 it would be perfect. icon_sad.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:10am
post #219 of 241
Quote:

Has anyone tried chocolate cake balls yet? Thanks for your help!

I used the box mix with pudding etc added in (basically the WASC in chocolate. the balls weren't as dry but still lacked something so I injected each ball with a bit of chocolate ganache before dipping in coating chocolate. As I'm not fond of all those sticks (and frankly find they are more trouble than they are worth except to attract kids then I worry about them running around with a stick in their mouths...but I digress) so I put each ball in a mini cupcake liner and put them on trays. If I'm packaging for gifts then I use those cupcake boxes with the cellophane on top.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:13am
post #220 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

It only holds 8? That's dumb, who sells baked goods in 8s? If it held 12 it would be perfect. icon_sad.gif

I saw that. I am going to order one one of these days and see how it's set up. I don't know why 8! I know, very dumb.

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:47am
post #221 of 241

Ok, so I read about the first 5 posts about this baby cakes pop maker then looked them up online @ Kohls, called the store 30 min before closing time & they said they had the display & 1 in back. Was at the store & back home in about 20 min flat. Love that my Kohls is 2 exits down. Can't wait to try this....love new toys icon_biggrin.gif

minivanmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minivanmom Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:54pm
post #222 of 241

[quote="Charmed"][quote="FromScratchSF"]So I read on another thread that someone picked up one of these little machines at Kohles on sale this weekend for $20. So I jumped in my car, drove 3 cities over to the closest Kohles and picked up 2 of them for myself. This machine is out of stock lots of places and I had to have them look "in the back" to see if they had one, it was not on the floor nor in their computer (or online).

Overview: The Babycakes Cake Pop maker looks like a small waffle iron but has 12 round cavities for your cake batter and bakes balls for making cake pops.

The Appeal: I don't like the texture of cake balls, it reminds me of chewed-up cake on a stick. I also was not interested in the bake cake>moosh cake with icing>roll into ball>freeze>put on stick>freeze>dip>rinse>repeat. Too much work. But if a machine baked cake into a ball, that would be something else entirely.

In the box: Pretty cool actually, besides the machine, it comes with sticks, a little fork for "flipping"(which looks like a fork you would use for dribbling chocolate), a plunger for adding fillings to your cake balls, and a plastic tray to set your balls in to cool that doubles as a stand for the finished balls on a stick to dry and set up.

Machine heats up super fast. I want to say 2-3 minutes.

I used my regular scratch yellow buttermilk cake, it's more dense and holds flavoring really well.

Each cavity takes about .8 oz (purple NSF scoop), or about 1 tbsp. of batter. My 1st batch I underfilled and it didn't work out. My 2nd batch I added more batter. Your overflow seeps out of the cavities but the result is a perfectly round ball of cake. It does have a little seam but after dipping I couldn't see it.

Cooking time: 5 minutes, but after removing the balls and checking the cooked balls later in the day I think I am going to bump down to 4 minutes as I thought they were slightly overcooked for my batter. Your results may vary.

Finished ball size: 1.5" ball, which is about the size of the Starbucks cake pop. Weight: varies on your batter, but my finished balls consistently weighs .45 oz, or about the same amount of cake as in my mini cupcakes.

Worth it? I think so, nobody in my area except Starbucks sells cake balls so I think I'd be able to come close to mass producing to sell these using 2 or more of these machines. However I have read here that other people make much larger balls, but I've never seen dimensions/weight posted.

Now I just need to figure out a yummy gourmet coating without having to use disgusting candy melts. icon_biggrin.gif

HI Jen,
I just picked up a Baby Cakes Pop Maker Machine solely based on your review, I'm very excited to use it. I just had a quick question, there seems to be a lot of wiggle in the top of the machine that I purchased and wondered if that were the case with yours as well or if mine may have been damaged prior to my purchasing it.
Thanks!

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:23pm
post #223 of 241

I just picked one of these up at a Carson Pirie Scott on sale for $12.99 woohoo!!!! Can't wait to try it out.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:54pm
post #224 of 241

I haven't read all of this thread yet ... I'm on page 8 ... I ordered the purple machine from Taylor gifts and there was no syringe included. I haven't seen anything positive about the syringe yet and am just wondering if it would be worth returning. I have looked at our lcoal Kohl's, but they are never in stock ...

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpJane Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:01pm
post #225 of 241

Is there a syringe? I have two of those machines and I don't think they include a syringe.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:14pm
post #226 of 241

Mine came with a syringe. I haven't tried it out yet.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:56pm
post #227 of 241

The syringe is taped to the styrofoam! I almost threw mine out.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #228 of 241

I just bought one yesterday, came home, "washed" it, and went to work, testing it for my daughter's birthday party next weekend. I used my mini cupcake scooper, and it was perfect size as they came out perfectly. I LOVE this machine. I got it with a 20% off coupon from BB&B, so with tax I paid 17.00. I am going to pick up another.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:12pm
post #229 of 241

For all you Canadian bakers..Babycakes in now available in Canada at Sears.ca and Bed Bath and Beyond.ca..I just purcahsed mine yeaterday!!!Yeah.... thumbs_up.gif

cookiemama2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm
post #230 of 241

Just saw this in the Sears flyer yesterday. They also have the cupcake maker.
Home Hardware also sells a betty crocker cupcake maker about half the price of the babycakes one. Anyone have both? ...Like one over the other?...

I got my cake pop maker in the summer when my parents vacationed in the states and I begged them to bring me one home!
I like it but have noticed some of the cakepops bake up hollow in the middle.

cookiemama2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:35pm
post #231 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

The syringe is taped to the styrofoam! I almost threw mine out.

Oh! And I broke it the first time I used it!
The rubbery plunger was stuck inside of it and the "stem" popped off , so I finally got the rubbery part out and attached to the "stem " /plunger part, filled it and the handle snapped off on the first push!

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:43pm
post #232 of 241

Oh man..let's hope I don't have the same problems....

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 9:28pm
post #233 of 241

Went to my Kohl's today and they had a whole bunch of the cake pop makers.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:09am
post #234 of 241

BJ's has a whole bunch too!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 9:43pm
post #235 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

BJ's has a whole bunch too!!

Yep, got mine from BJ's, but theirs don't come with the Plunger.

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 4:45pm
post #236 of 241

Okay...so I tried my Babycakes cakepop maker today for the first time since I got it for Christmas..Here is what I found...

Bakes up really quick...Like 3-4 minutes..I did use a regular cake mix as I had leftover batter from an order..It was white cake so the cakepops got quite brown on the outside but tasted good.The only thing is I don't think they would be sturdy enough for a stick unless you use a heavier recipe (Which probably is in the book ) but a regular mix is too soft..My kids liked them for a snack.Great for a treat..Not a waste of money but I don't think I will use it for customer orders for cakepops..The old method seems to hold the stick better.JMO icon_smile.gif

lynn780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn780 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:43pm
post #237 of 241

After reading this thread I'm going to be on the search for one. Just have a couple of questions: Do you freeze the cake balls after they cool before dipping? Also, read the post about adding liquor--would that be to the chocolate (melts) or in the cake? Can't wait to find one & try it.

jaded202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaded202 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:35pm
post #238 of 241

Publix has an oven similar to this for $20 by Nostalgia Electronics. I haven't tried it out yet. But I'm excited! icon_biggrin.gif

megan_in_pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megan_in_pink Posted 9 May 2012 , 10:39am
post #239 of 241

I got mine on Saterday at M's. Loving it so far. Silly question can i use chocolate chips to coat the cake pop. Or is too much extra work?

Macapop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Macapop Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:42pm
post #240 of 241

[size=9]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita752001

I tried the machine today, I'm a little disappointed because the balls are so tiny compare to the one I usually make. I like my "Nostalgia Donut Hole Maker" better, it produce bigger cake balls, a little too big though, but I think it's better. I bought 3 babycakes machines icon_sad.gif my sister doesn't want it after she saw the result. Well since I already use it, I'll keep mine, I can use it if I want to make small balls someday, but will return the other 2 unused ones.

[/size]

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I was looking for an analysis on the machines that make cake pops, and I want to know which is better, and that you have used them; I'm between NOSTALGIA (7 balls) and the BABYCAKES (12 balls), but but say they are more small, ¿Which machine do you recommend to purchase?
Thank you everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%