Anyone With Experience Of Covering A 20 Inch Round Cake?

Decorating By kdah Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm by kdah

kdah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdah Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 8

Anyone with experience of covering a 20 inch round cake? I am making a 7 stories high cake where the three bottom ones are dummies. This sizes are:

6 inch - cake
8 inch - cake
10 inch - cake
12 inch - cake
16 inch - dummie
18 inch - dummie
20 inch - dummie

Does anyone have any good tips for how to easiest cover the 20 inch cake? I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Kajsa

7 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 8

Holy cow! I hope you have a sheeter!

kdah Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah I wish icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 8

Just have a nice big work space (probably a table) and plenty of powdered sugar to roll it out on (I think shortening makes it more stretchy and easier to rip). And then just do like you would a 16"!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 8

Will there be any decorations on it that would allow you to do fondant in two sections?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 8

If your 20" cake dummy is 4" tall, you'll need at least a 28" diameter fondant circle or 30" for overhang to trim away.

If you roll it out onto a 30" diameter cake circle (dusted with powdered sugar or cornstarch), you'll know when it's big enough and to stop rolling because the circle guide is completely covered. And, you'll know that it isn't sticking because you can shake the cardboard periodically during the rolling process. When you're ready, slide the fondant off the circle directly onto your cake dummy. You won't need to worry about it ripping because you aren't stretching it, and no worries about the dusted bottom surface showing because it's touching the cake dummy instead of being flipped.

Of course, you'll have to find which workspace will accommodate the task.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:29am
post #7 of 8

Run down to your fabric store and purchase two lengths of heavy clear vinyl. They sell it on rolls to cover picnic tables. Take some Pam spray or solid shortening and lightly coat one side. Place the blob of fondant on the greased side. then take the other length and grease one side. Place the greased side on top of the blob and roll out. When you get the size needed, flop the whole thing over and remove the bottom vinyl which is now on top - exposing the underside of the fondant. Pick up the fondant still attached to the mat and flop over the dummy. Starting at one edge, peel back the last pc. of vinyl. Oh, it helps to brush water or piping gel over the dummy first.

kdah Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

Many thanks to all of you for all your great input! Thanks a million!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%