What Should I Do...only Have A Few Days Left!

Decorating By nikkigonzalez Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 3:17am by JanH

nikkigonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigonzalez Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 10

So I sell goodies to a local caterer who knows I bake from home and do not have all that legal work done. This local shop owner found out I sold stuff to the caterer and now wants me to sell at her shop but I think she thinks I have all my legal paperwork taken care of. She placed an order to be ready in 3 days and I dont know if I deliver the order will she be expecting some paperwork, maybe a W2 form or something (I dont even charge taxes for this reason) I was wanting to go to get a DBA, is that good enough, oh and I would bake her orders from a commercial kitchen. What kind of paperwork will she be expecting, if any? Would a DBA name be ok to start with, what else do I need? Im so confused when it comes to all the legal paperwork of baking and selling...Please help, I dont want to show up with her delivery and look bad or unprofessional

9 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 10

You need to call your local health dept and find out what is required before you sell anything to anybody.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 10

Call her NOW and tellher you are not using a legal kitchen. Let her decide if she wants to continue with the order.
NO just getting a DBA is NOT enough. Anyone can set up a business with any name - doesn't show you are a legal business.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 10

You really should stop selling to anyone until you have all your licensing and inspections. You're opening yourself up to all kinds of trouble. Call your local health department and find out what you need to do, the laws are different everywhere, so this isn't the place to ask these kinds of specific questions.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Call her NOW and tellher you are not using a legal kitchen. Let her decide if she wants to continue with the order.
NO just getting a DBA is NOT enough. Anyone can set up a business with any name - doesn't show you are a legal business.

I agree. You are exposing yourself to a tremendous amount of risk if you proceed with this sale.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 10

If you're in TX and you aren't legal I'd pull that website that is advertising prices and items for sale.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 10

Honestly you should call her and let her know that you CAN NOT fill that order. It's one thing to take the risk for yourself not being legal but to put someone else's business in risk is a whole other thing. Selling without the proper paperwork is asking for a huge fine an a visit from the IRS. When you go through the process of becoming legal you will find the answers to all your questions. And then once you get yourself legal then contact the owner and offer your services.

nikkigonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkigonzalez Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for your advice. I will defintly get it all taken care of before I start business with her!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #9 of 10

By the way, wholesaling has even more regulations than just a licensed kitchen in most areas, so be clear with the health dept.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:17am
post #10 of 10

Moving to the Cake Decorating forum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%