Excited, But Very Nervous....

Decorating By Allikat415 Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm by ChRiStY_71

Allikat415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allikat415 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 7

I just received a call from a friends cousin to do her wedding cake. This would be my first wedding cake and I'm just a bit nervous. The majority of my cakes are done for friends and family and I usually let them decide the price. My brain is all over the place! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 7

Take a deep breath icon_smile.gif You have done tiered cakes so it should be fine. Just remember a wedding cake is nothing more than a couple of 'elegant, fancy b'day' cakes stacked up together.
Of course your brain is working overtime right now icon_smile.gif Just relax. You'll do fine.
Meet with the BTB as soon as possible. Have them come with pictures of what they think they want BUT......tell them you will make YOUR version that incorporates as much as what they want.
Find out how many people they expect; what cake flavor(s) they are interested in; b'cream or fondant; location of reception (how far will you have to drive?) I'm sure youwill think of more things to ask about as the time draws near for your meeting.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

Not sure if you are in the US or not and if you are legal or not, but before you agree double check that the bride's reception allows unliscened kitchens to provide the cake (assumptions made here due to lack of experience in wedding cakes). I would hate for you to make a beautiful wedding cake, turn up at the venue and them not being allowed to use your cake (It has happened!).

Can you do a practise run? I've done a couple of practise wedding cakes so I know what to expect when the time comes.

Good luck and enjoy the experience icon_smile.gif !!

Allikat415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allikat415 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the encouragement!! I have had a few conversations with the bride. I was very up front with her about not being "legal" and to please check with her venue. I don't want to be the reason for ruining a brides dream wedding. I actually called the venue myself and spoke with the owner. They are fine with me bringing in the cake as long as I take care of everything. I've never really had a reason to worry about being legal since I do cakes for friends, but it seems if this is a path I am wanting to take then I have lots of research to do. I'm in Indiana and I know we don't have a cottage law, but can sell from a farmers market.

I sent a list of questions to the bride (she lives out of state) so I would have a better idea of what type of cake she was looking for. I know what my limits are and would never feel bad about turning down a job if I didn't think I was capable of delivering. I should have plenty of time to do a practice run or two and the gals at work always love it when I bring in treats!

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:06am
post #5 of 7

I am also making my first wedding cake for my sis-in-law. I'm a great baker, but decorator...not so much. I have absolutely no patience or artistic talent for that matter LOL

I'm finally done and I must say it looks AWESOME!!! I can't wait for her to see it!! It's also my first BC covered cake as well. And like kakeladi said "Just remember a wedding cake is nothing more than a couple of 'elegant, fancy b'day' cakes stacked up together." icon_smile.gif

So out of my experience I can tell you Don't worry!! Don't stress!! It will turn out perfect!!

To look at that finish product and say "Wow, I actually did that!??' What a feeling! thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 8:10am
post #6 of 7

You'll do great! Just make sure you allow enough time for mistakes. Noting is worse than rushing and stressing because you don't feel like you have enough time. Book the whole day for just decorating the cake.
good luck, let us know how it goes... would love to see pics! I remember my first wedding cake, I was a basket case! lol.......oh seems so long ago now icon_smile.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 7

Congratulations and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%