Whats Wrong With My Cakes?

Decorating By cakeastic Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm by leah_s

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 9

Why do my cakes always have a side higher than the other? I always use a cake leveler after baking, but the sides still do not have the same height. Ive tried baking strips, heating core.. its not helping. What do you think is the problem? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 9

Do you rotate your cakes while you're baking them? You could have a hot spot in your oven or maybe your oven isn't level.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 9

It sounds like your oven isn't level. I know, because the oven I usually bake in isn't either. I've come to terms with it by just leveling my cakes off before I decorate them. Are you saying your cakes aren't level even AFTER you've passed them through your cake leveler? If that's the case, I'm stumped.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 9

Are you levelling the cakes while they are on something that is not level? I used to use a lazy susan for a turntable...then one day I took my perfectly level decorated cake OFF the lazy susan, only to find that in reality it was seriously NOT level at all - turned out the lazy susan was crooked.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9

maybe your leveler isnt level? i mean...its always a possibility if your cakes aren't level after using it. try measuring both posts from where your blade is down...

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 9

...it could also be the leveller you are using, Wilton levellers are particularly notorious for butchering cakes.

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 9

I dont think the problem is from my leveler, i try to pass the long side of the cake through the leveler because i dont like to loose alot of cake, but it doesnt help much and im terrified by using a knife to cut because any wrong move can ruin your cake.

About my oven how do i know if its level or not, its the kind thats on the wall lol

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 9

If you are using a leveler then I wouldn't think its a problem with the oven. Although hot spots can accure, a leveler should take care of it. The next time you do level a cake, take a ruler to it and see if it is indeed the leveler. Early on when I was first using a leveler, I would tilt it by accident which can cause an uneven cut. Maybe look at how you are holding the leveler when using it. Make an effort to hold it straight up and down.

Other then that, how are you filling your cakes? Sometimes if the filling is uneven the end cake will be uneven. You can also compensate for an uneven cake by using more icing on the lower side to sort of build it up.

Hope that helps.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 9

Perhaps your counter isn't level.

What brand of leveler are you using.?

Just for fun, an easy way to check your oven fr level is to sit a half cup (or any other measurement) of water on the oven rack. The level of the water should be level on the mark on the measuring cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%