For All Those Who Use The Viva Method

Decorating By MGCmom Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 12:43am by MGCmom

MGCmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGCmom Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I am in Canada and Viva towel doesn't exist here or anymore, so I'm wondering what about Viva makes it good for smoothing buttercream? Are there any Canadian ladies that know of a good alternative that I can buy here? Thanks!

6 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

There is no pattern on the towel that is why it works.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #3 of 7

We have viva here, but it's patterned. I just use whatever paper towel I have handy, patterned or not. Then use some regular paper (the kind you'd get in a photocopier or a printer) afterwards to smooth out the pattern.

Apparently you can also use baking/parchment paper.

Or try the Melvira technique icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:19am
post #4 of 7

Viva has more of a cloth texture where other paper towels have pattern impressions in them. Even my plain cheap paper towels have little dots all over them that don't give me a smooth finish.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

I feel your pain. I'm in Canada too and have yet to find a good substitute. Since I live close to the border I have a good friend who regularly crosses to shop. SHe is my Viva towel and strawberry cake mix mule icon_smile.gif (I should get my passport so I can go myself really!)

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:36am
post #6 of 7

I use regular or gloss copy paper. I found that the Viva towel always made my BC look "fuzzy" to me, the use of paper just looks more clean and smooth.

Good luck!

MGCmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGCmom Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the ideas! I just really want to have perfectly smooth buttercream or as close as I can, but so far I am not that talented with the spatula. icon_sad.gif

B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%