The Judge On Cupcake Wars Really Needs To Fact Check...

Lounge By baking_fool Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 7:11pm by mim1106

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #1 of 31

I am watching Cupcake wars and the same judge that said that isomalt was inedible now said that red velvet cake should be a CHOCOLATE cake with some red in it!!!!!

Now I am not red velvet expert but I am pretty sure this is not true.

30 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:46am
post #2 of 31

Every red velvet recipe I have seen has cocoa in it, so I guess in that way, it is a chocolate cake. (It's usually not a lot of cocoa, though, so it's not chocolatey like a Devil's Food cake.)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:04am
post #4 of 31

Typically here in the south it is a chocolate cake. Made with a fair amount of cocoa & buttermilk. But hey, I have seen people tweak recipes in every way possible! LOL!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:26am
post #5 of 31

Originally I don't even think they used red food color, it was a chemical reaction.

baking_fool Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:31am
post #6 of 31

lol well then that explains it, I was under the impression that red velvet cake was a buttermilk cake, with only a tablespoon or so of coca to enhance the red color. icon_redface.gif

sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:36am
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

Originally I don't even think they used red food color, it was a chemical reaction.

Yeap, it was but a lot of people added beets to their cakes as well. It was to add moisture & some sweetness (I think), something to do with the war & food rationing.

sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:37am
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by baking_fool

lol well then that explains it, I was under the impression that red velvet cake was a buttermilk cake, with only a tablespoon or so of coca to enhance the red color. icon_redface.gif

Hey, we are all learning here. That is why we are here, right? thumbs_up.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:44am
post #9 of 31

It is a buttermilk cake with very little cocoa - or was icon_smile.gif I am no expert - just did a little reading a while back but would like to know more! And I was REALLY surprised that all of them used cream cheese icing and Florian (sp?) didn't say anything! A cooked flour icing is the actual "traditional" icing, though many many people have gone to and prefer cream cheese with it now. I am by no means a "red velvet snob" or anything, just learned some of this from reading.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:16am
post #10 of 31

Red Velvet was originated during WW2 when cocoa was rationed. Bakeries could no longer produce their normal chocolate cake recipes and came up with a mock-chocolate cake, using beets to up the color quotient from the reduced amount of cocoa being used. After the war ended, almost all bakers (excepting the stubborn southern ones icon_lol.gif ) quickly dropped red velvet in favor of chocolate cake and it hasen't been until the last few decades that it's made a comeback. I've never made RV using beets but I read on here once that when using grated or pureed beets in the recipe that the cake smells horrible while baking but that the odor is not left in the finished product. I have to say, personally, I'm not a huge fan of RV-just like I'm not a big fan of marble cake either- the taste is neither here nor there.....but wouldn't you know it, I had to bake marble cake and RV cake today icon_lol.gif What the customer wants, the costumer gets icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:45am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by baking_fool

You are not wrong! True red velvets call for a very small amount of cocoa...the small amount takes a bit of the 'twang' out of the buttermilk...it doesn't really add to the color. I use a recipe that only uses a tablespoon of cocoa and it tastes delicious. To me a red velvet cake is red...not brownish-red. The poster here who goes went into the history of red velvet and beets and such is most likely correct about it's history.

Red velvet is not a chocolate cake...it's a cake that has a touch of cocoa in it! (And I am a true southerner. My family is from North Carolina!)
That judge needs to be called on the carpet because if he's basing decisions on incorrect information then he needs to go. icon_mad.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:24am
post #12 of 31

OK, I am watching this episode now and I am crazy irritated too - a red velvet cake is NOT a chocolate cake. If you can taste chocolate your cake is FAIL. Chocolate adds color but also helps with the levening.

As for origin, it pre-dates food rationing of WWII, the Waldoef Astoria has been serving red velvet since the 20's.

I want to get on this show, but so help me ,if that was me and Flourian said he wanted a red chocolate cake and not a red cake with chocolate I would have argued with him and probably been super mad.
icon_mad.gif

And what's with the crumbles on top? I've been seeing this a lot lately - who wants stale cake crumbles on their cupcake???

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:26am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

Typically here in the south it is a chocolate cake. Made with a fair amount of cocoa & buttermilk. But hey, I have seen people tweak recipes in every way possible! LOL!

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! I am so over this discussion (wink)

Red Velvet is a chocolate cake for people who DON"T like chocolate - like me!

NO - it does NOT have a fair amount of chocolate (cocoa) in it. (check out really old recipes from the time of inception - hardly any cocoa at all)

And yes, I'm from Kannapolis, NC - about hillbilly country as you can get!

I started watching that same episode tonight and turned it off as soon as those chicks poured all that melted chocolate in it. Now it became a chocolate cake with red food coloring added for no apparent reason. icon_biggrin.gif

And I knew the judges would be completely clueless. I would not go to France and tell them how to properly make a crepe - and I would appreciate if people would stop telling Southerners what makes a proper Red Velvet.

And for the record - Red Velvet was created in NYC (I believe it was the mid 30s, I may be off a few years)- Southerners just took it over and it exploded in the south. Which is OK - pasta was created in China - even though we all call it Italian. And zucchini originated in Mexico - same deal. So, while it's not from the South, we hillbillies just loved it enough to make it our own.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 31

Isomalt can cause stomach problems, which is why they tell you not to eat too many sugar free candies at one time, because they are often made with isomalt. While it isn't inedible, it could give some people some icky issues to deal with.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

icon_mad.gif

And what's with the crumbles on top? I've been seeing this a lot lately - who wants stale cake crumbles on their cupcake???

People have been putting cake crumbs around the red velvet cakes for years. They don't taste stale, I guess from being pressed into the icing?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:50pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

This isn't a new concept. It's not much different than using sprinkles or sanding sugar, if the crumbs are very fine (similar to this):
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/perfect-endings-heart-shaped-red-velvet-cake/

sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Quote:

Red Velvet is a chocolate cake for people who DON"T like chocolate - like me!

NO - it does NOT have a fair amount of chocolate (cocoa) in it. (check out really old recipes from the time of inception - hardly any cocoa at all)

And yes, I'm from Kannapolis, NC - about hillbilly country as you can get!

I started watching that same episode tonight and turned it off as soon as those chicks poured all that melted chocolate in it. Now it became a chocolate cake with red food coloring added for no apparent reason. icon_biggrin.gif

And I knew the judges would be completely clueless. I would not go to France and tell them how to properly make a crepe - and I would appreciate if people would stop telling Southerners what makes a proper Red Velvet.

That is why I said typically. My recipe for Red Velvet was past down through generations of my family. It only calls for 2Tsp of cocoa but a lot of others I have seen here locally call for more.
I would put it under chocolate cake because it has cocoa in it. I had a friend wanting a wedding cake & her sister was allergic to chocolate, so she wanted red velvet instead. icon_rolleyes.gif Needless to say she didn't get the red velvet...

And as far as being southern, I live in Florida. Any further south & your gonna have to swim! icon_lol.gif

baking_fool Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 31

I have to agree with carmijok, because this cake is so controversial in what is should taste like and how much coca it should contain I don't think he should base his critique on his personal interpretation of the cake.

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:

And as far as being southern, I live in Florida. Any further south & your gonna have to swim! icon_lol.gif

It's so weird, and I can't explain why, so don't ask... and I agree it's fickle....

We never consider Florida "Southern". Yes, geographically it is. In attitude, no. I even have a lot of family in Ohio and NYC that don't consider Florida a Southern State. It's just happens to be down in the southern region of the United States. When I have visited Florida, the strangers I've met don't "act" Southern or sound southern. Don't even ask me to explain that one!

I think it's because Florida is known as a state (as a whole, not in part) for a lot of transplants, between the Military, retirees from up North and the Cuban/Latin communities, it's just not considered a Southern State.

Yeah, I know - raise your eyebrows at me... icon_rolleyes.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #20 of 31

...tryingcake said ......We never consider Florida "Southern". .......

I agree icon_smile.gif FL is NOT a southern state - never has been, never will be icon_smile.gif LOL

sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Quote:

It's so weird, and I can't explain why, so don't ask... and I agree it's fickle....

We never consider Florida "Southern". Yes, geographically it is. In attitude, no. I even have a lot of family in Ohio and NYC that don't consider Florida a Southern State. It's just happens to be down in the southern region of the United States. When I have visited Florida, the strangers I've met don't "act" Southern or sound southern. Don't even ask me to explain that one!

I think it's because Florida is known as a state (as a whole, not in part) for a lot of transplants, between the Military, retirees from up North and the Cuban/Latin communities, it's just not considered a Southern State.

Yeah, I know - raise your eyebrows at me... icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL! I know! I am fourth generation native Floridian & have waited tables most of my life. When people from Alabama come in & ask if we have sweet tea or grits, I couldn't help but laugh. And, yes we are being out numbered by the transplants & that probably explains most of the people you met. But true Florida natives are as southern as the south can get. We say yes ma'am & no sir, it's still momma & daddy, even after us kids are grown. Our tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; macaroni & cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Yall is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried, biscuits come w/ gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. icon_lol.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #22 of 31

We say yes ma'am & no sir, it's still momma & daddy, even after us kids are grown. Our tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; macaroni & cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Yall is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried, biscuits come w/ gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. icon_lol.gif[/quote]

sounds southern to me icon_wink.gif
and for my two cents... there is cocoa in red velvet but the primary flavor comes from the buttermilk, so i personally consider it a buttermilk cake. If you give me a slice of slightly redish chocolate cake i'm going to say you served me chocolate cake, not red velvet.

sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:38pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

FL is NOT a southern state - never has been, never will be icon_smile.gif LOL

Not what my map say there sweetheart... icon_lol.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:42pm
post #24 of 31

Well I got thru the rest of that episode and it was a train wreck from beginning to end. Some of the worst baking, worst decorations, worst displays I've ever seen.

All the more reason to start working on my audition tape early icon_biggrin.gif

sebrina Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

sounds southern to me icon_wink.gif
and for my two cents... there is cocoa in red velvet but the primary flavor comes from the buttermilk, so i personally consider it a buttermilk cake.

Yeah, your right. Most of the flavor does come from the buttermilk. I guess I always group it with the chocolate cakes for allergic reaction? Oh well, like everything, it's all a matter of opinion. icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:03pm
post #26 of 31

OK - I'll give ya that the Florida natives are the same as me.....

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

(to be read with a very hard twang)

How's that for a Southern Expression? tapedshut.gif

And yes, back on topic... .I agree that red velvet should be classified as a buttermilk cake. thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:32am
post #27 of 31

If a red velvet cake tastes like chocolate, you did it wrong.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 6:09pm
post #28 of 31

At the risk of creating a riot...don't like it and never have...so you can classify it however you want to as long as I don't have to eat it. That being said, I do however love...pecan pie, fried chicken, grits, biscuits and gravy, a hi ya'll, big porches and a blessed heart. Stay southern ya'll. We love you just the way you are...from the northerner.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:39pm
post #29 of 31

I saw this episode too. I threw a small rant. And then I did an eyeroll. Obviously RV cake has now evolved into a chocolate tasting thing.

That is not how I make mine and everybody loves it. But I do know in my area there are quite a few cake places that their RV is just chocolate cake with red food coloring added.

You can tell how much chocolate is in the cake by how deep the red is. Not how bright, but how deep. The deeper the red, the more chocolate in a "RV" cake.

But I will continue to make my RV the way I do. If people don't like there are plenty of places in town they can get a chocolate one.

But I do put cream cheese frosting on top. It is definitely a northern thing. I plan on trying the flour based frosting recipe soon though.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 6:04pm
post #30 of 31

The cake crumbles wouldn't have been stale for the judges.

I am wondering if they can really put out 1000 cupcakes in the 2 hrs, though. Wonder if they have hidden help out back baking them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%