Anyone Else Have Trouble With Michelle Foster Fondant? Help?

Baking By madgeowens Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 3:10am by bobwonderbuns

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:02pm
post #61 of 72

To the unitiated - This is like the ?th time good 'ol madge has started a thread, gotten everyone all whipped up and then threatened to leave. I'm sure there folks here who remember her "contributions" to the The Mat thread (it got locked) and more recently her own thread about the cheerleader figurine (also got locked) and now this.

I wouldn't worry about sticking up for Madge. My guess is that she enjoys stirring the pot or she wouldn't keep doing it.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:23pm
post #62 of 72

Ladies and Gentlemen: Please quit bullying. Do you actually read what you write before you post it? Never have I seen so many of you responding in such negative ways...if you have nothing good to say or to help, please, please, please write it to yourself and wait 24 hours...see if that is what you would want someone to say to you. Is this the way you would write to Jackie and Heath?

Let us cool this hateful speech...this is a place where we all should want to help; not to hurt.

Please, curb your criticism and if you cannot offer help, do not offer your snide, ugly side to those who are here simply to get information and/or to give actual cake advice. Most of this has not been cake advice; it has been unpleasant taunting. Shameful...just plain shameful.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 9:54pm
post #63 of 72

If someone was being silly... I'd call them out on it. The only thing I was trying to say up until the very end was no big deal... you made a mistake with a recipe and it flopped. We've ALL done it. Just have a laugh and move on. Don't insist that there was fault in the recipe because you doubled something you shouldn't have and it was a ball of rubber.

I even offered up an anecdote of how I did something similar.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:24am
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

There is debate on CC over which is the correct recipe as one that is marked as "updated" contained errors but cannot be removed. So it stays here to continue the confusion. Michele, herself has posted regarding this confusion. But the confusion remains.

I use this version and it always comes out perfectly.

1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
1 dash salt
3 1/2 pounds powdered sugar

Thanks for posting that -- if I may bother you again, could you post the rest of the instructions or at least the link to this recipe? I want to try it. Thanks dear! icon_biggrin.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:17am
post #65 of 72

What you do is put the cream in a heatproof bowl (I use my mixer bowl) and sprinkle the the gelatin over the milk and let it sit until it absorbs the milk (blooms). Then place the bowl over a pan of boiling water and melt the gelatin and milk mixture. Add the corn syrup, vanilla, and salt and stir until combined. Remove from the heat and add in the butter and let the mixture cool (I just let it get to warm). Once that happens pop the mixer bowl on your mixer and add the powdered sugar and let the dough hook do the work. If you make it with the wet mixture warm it takes very little effort from your mixer. The resulting fondant will be VERY soft, but just wrap it up in plastic and let it set over night and the next day give a it a good knead and it's perfect.

This is how I did it anyway. I also like to add 6 oz of white chocolate to the wet mixture... just let it melt and cool with the rest of the wet stuff.

icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:27am
post #66 of 72

Oh man does that sound good!!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

What you do is put the cream in a heatproof bowl (I use my mixer bowl) and sprinkle the the gelatin over the milk and let it sit until it absorbs the milk (blooms). Then place the bowl over a pan of boiling water and melt the gelatin and milk mixture. Add the corn syrup, vanilla, and salt and stir until combined. Remove from the heat and add in the butter and let the mixture cool (I just let it get to warm). Once that happens pop the mixer bowl on your mixer and add the powdered sugar and let the dough hook do the work. If you make it with the wet mixture warm it takes very little effort from your mixer. The resulting fondant will be VERY soft, but just wrap it up in plastic and let it set over night and the next day give a it a good knead and it's perfect.

This is how I did it anyway. I also like to add 6 oz of white chocolate to the wet mixture... just let it melt and cool with the rest of the wet stuff.

icon_biggrin.gif

I should know this but I'll ask anyway -- do you add the glycerin at the same time you add the corn syrup and Vanilla?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:45am
post #68 of 72

The link to the full recipe (the version I use) is:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

I use flavored non-dairy creamers in place of the cream called for.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:50am
post #69 of 72

After the gelatin blooms and you are "melting" it, I add everything except the powdered sugar and heat until the butter is ALMOST melted, then let it cool to lukewarm (stirring periodically so it doesn't form a skin), strain so there are no clumps. I put some of the powdered sugar in the mixer bowl and pour the strained liquid in. Mix until combined and then keep adding powdered sugar until it holds on the dough hook.

The recipe is several places but I posted under Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant - it is the correct recipe but the others do have some nice variations for flavors and some helpful tips. I got it from Michele - we had some trouble with it and tried tweaking it, but this seems to be the best way - if you have any trouble with it holding together you can add a little tylose and that helps.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:54am
post #70 of 72

Thanks everyone! I'm taking notes fast and furiously here! icon_biggrin.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #71 of 72

Yes you are right... sorry... I missed the glycerin. Typing between baking makes for a scattered brain. I don't bother straining it and I almost never have issues. Once in a *great* while I will find a tiny lump of gelatin or two in the finished product, but you just pick it out no biggie and there's no cleaning the strainer of gloopy geltain.

I'm lazy and hate to clean things that aren't completely necessary... LOL.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #72 of 72

I can't wait to try this recipe. I've tried others and lately I'm buying my fondant (which gets mighty expensive I might add!) icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%