Fresh Flowers On Cakes

Decorating By EdieP Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm by EdieP

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:04am
post #1 of 5

I just did a wedding cake with the Wilton Flower spikes to keep the flowers fresh, but I hated those things. Is there an alternative to using fresh flowers on a cake

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

Gumpaste or fondant flowers are better than fresh...No pesticides, toxic flowers or fertilizers to worry about.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #3 of 5

i use the food grade wax to seal my flowers. i melt it down in a bowl on a candle burner (the electric kind) and dip about an inch to an inch and a half into the wax. let it dry, then coat it again. i've found this to be the easiest way to get the flowers on the cake. HTH!

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:31am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieP

I just did a wedding cake with the Wilton Flower spikes to keep the flowers fresh, but I hated those things. Is there an alternative to using fresh flowers on a cake

I was thinking of using the spikes for an upcoming wedding. Can you tell me more about them? Why did you hate them?

Thanks for the input!

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarisCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieP

I was thinking of using the spikes for an upcoming wedding. Can you tell me more about them? Why did you hate them?

Thanks for the input!

the reason I did not like the spikes is because it left a large hole in the cake. Also it will only go in so far and then you are left with the white top showing. I had thought about using preserved flowers for some of the weddings scheduled later this yr. They feel and look like real flowers without all the hastle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%