Confused On Which Air Brush To Buy

Decorating By lissacarol Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 12:50am by FromScratchSF

lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,
I am wanting to buy an airbrush system but there are so many different ones out there with all different kinds of compressors that I have no clue what I should get. I have never airbrushed before and since the systems can be pricey I don't want to buy the wrong kind. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

13 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 14

TCP Global
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/cakesys.aspx

has some cake-specific airbrush kits that are affordable.

what exactly are you looking to do with your airbrush?

lissacarol Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the link. One thing I want to do is use if for stencils. I have a cake order for the damask pattern and although I have seen where people use thinned icing (and I will try it) I thought airbrushing with practice would look better. Any ideas?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:43am
post #4 of 14

I got mine from airbrushcity (online - just add . c o m ) and they had great prices - also had a couple designated as great for cakes icon_smile.gif

KloudNineKreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KloudNineKreations Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:00am
post #5 of 14

I got mine from TCP Global, I bought their 250.00 kit and I Love It! I had some broken bottles during shipment and they sent me replacements overnight! The air compressor is quite and regulating so it doesnt suck up all my electricity money, and its quiet enough to still work and have my 3 year old stay asleep in the next room over...

Renaejrk Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 14

I got my compressor and two brushes for 140 - great deal! Just make sure the brush you get has a cap on the cup - it is so hard to keep from spilling if you don't!

lissacarol Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks everyone! I have looked at so many different ones and they all claim to do the best job that I am confused. Do I just need the one nozzle? What should I look for in psi? The size of the compressors are super small to fairly large. It is an investment so I want to be informed.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 14

The needle most commonly used for our purpose would probably be a .3mm needle. One of my airbrushes has 3 different needles, and I usually use the .3mm. My "better" airbrush has just the .3mm needle. I usually use between 10 and 20 PSI for sugar work, depending on the project. Higher pressure puts out more color but offers far less control (and lots of overspray). A small, inexpensive compressor (around $70) from Harbour Freight or the other web sites mentioned here will work. It does need a pressure regulator and a moisture trap (very important!!), but both gauges can be bought separately if necessary. A cover on the pigment cup is the first thing I look for now icon_lol.gif I like a dual-action, too - separate control of air pressure and pigment for more control. There are very reasonably-priced airbrushes available at the 2 sites mentioned above that work well.

Renaejrk Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 14

Yes, dual action is great!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 14

http://www.kopykake.com/cd_compressor_airmaster.html

I see a lot of the big named sugar artist use this one, and it is highly reccomended by Sharon zambito, get the one that costs, $250 and you don't need any other parts, except colors.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 14

The kopykake one is the model I have had for about 3 years and it's worked beautifully

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks, I've been looking too but too scared to commit to anything yet, definitely tempting though!

lissacarol Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #13 of 14

You all have been great help! Thanks so much. I knew to go to someone that had "been there done that" and you all had the answers I needed!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #14 of 14

Are airbrush colors water based, oil based or both? Have any of you airbrushed on SMBC or IMBC?

Thanks,

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%