High Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By cowboy61s_girl Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 3:00am by QueLinda

cowboy61s_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowboy61s_girl Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 17

I was wondering about the high ratio shortening I keep seeing it mentioned and was hoping some one could tell me what the difference between the high ratio and products like crisco. And if it does make a better frosting? Should I try it and where would I find it? Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 17

I purchase this from a cake supply store near my home. I firmly beleive it makes a huge difference in taste. I get so many comliments using that and a snow white base with the flavoring (almond, vanilla, ect.).

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 17

High Ratio shortening accepts a higher amount of liquid and sugar so your product is less "greasy". But, brands to make a difference. I tried the CK brand of high ratio and it was awful. I now use the Wesson brand and everyone loves it. Lighter, creamer BC everytime. Sweetex is another brand with a great reputation as is Alpine. If you have a restaurant distributor near you, they could be a source as well as cake shops.

The Wesson costs me $48 for a 50lb box. Sweetex is around $95+. I'm not sure what Alpine runs.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 17

High ratio is emulsified...as stated by deah, it therefore absorbs more liquids & sugars. It produces a very smooth icing with a creamy mouth-feel. I even use it 50/50 with butter when making meringue buttercreams.

I recently paid $65 for 50 lbs of Alpine.

Deah, where do you get the Wesson brand?

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 17

I asked my local cake shop and she doesn't carry it. Is there some place online to order it? I would really like to try it also because I hear such great things on here about it.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

There's a restaurant supplier that has a store here - Chefsmart. It is a division of IFH. I'm sure you've seen their trucks on the road.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 17

I've tried lookign for high ratio at a place called URM in Northern Idaho its a cash and carry but also distributes to restaurants etc. i did not see anythere ... anyone know of any i can find in norhtern idaho - i'm nearest Lewiston but would be willing to make an ocassional trip to Moscow ID which is 2 hours away or even Spokane WA which is 3 hours away - i make trips there afew times a year for medical reasons.

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora_333

I asked my local cake shop and she doesn't carry it. Is there some place online to order it? I would really like to try it also because I hear such great things on here about it.

My b-i-l buys mine for me through his deli business...but I know foodservicedirect.com carries Sweetex and Alpine and will sell to the general public (no tax-id # required.)

Aurora_333 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you I will be sure to check it out.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

High ratio is emulsified...as stated by deah, it therefore absorbs more liquids & sugars. It produces a very smooth icing with a creamy mouth-feel. I even use it 50/50 with butter when making meringue buttercreams.

I recently paid $65 for 50 lbs of Alpine.

Correct. In addition The emulsifiers help to distribute fat and air bubbles more evenly. Just don't fry with it! icon_smile.gif

Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 17

If you want to buy a smaller amount to try out, you can get some from The Bakers Kitchen:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/TBK-High-Ratio-Icing-Shortening.aspx

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy61s_girl

I was wondering about the high ratio shortening I keep seeing it mentioned and was hoping some one could tell me what the difference between the high ratio and products like crisco. And if it does make a better frosting? Should I try it and where would I find it? Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

Don't know where in Michigan you are located but if you have a GFS (Gordon Food Service) Marketplace you can special order 50# of Sweetex at any location. They do not typically carry it in the store. I think the last time I ordered it, it was about $75.

cowboy61s_girl Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you all for the information I am absolutely convinced I must try some. Now to figure out where my local cake supply store is?

cowboy61s_girl Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you MissLisa. I live in the middle of the thumb So i will have to probably check around saginaw when I get over that way! Once in a blue moon I head to Port Huron I know they have a gordons there.

Aurora_333 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 17

Sangriacupcake thank you for the link. That's more the size I'm looking for.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:04am
post #16 of 17

I use Sysco Brand. I used Sweetex for years. Sysco is half the price and I honestly can't tell the difference.... neither can my customers.

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:00am
post #17 of 17

I don't use hi-ratio shortening, I'm interested in giving Sweetex a try but don't want to buy 50lb box of it just yet. I just did a search on Sweetex, if you buy a 50lb box it says labled parve; if you buy a 12lb box it says not parve. Does it make a difference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%