A Resource To Share And 2 Questions To Ask....

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 4:53am by BlakesCakes

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all. I hope this messages finds you well.
First the resource I'd like to share...

http://www.qwikstock.com/straws.php

I have not purchased from this company yet, but I think if you need a large quantity of bubble tea straws or straws to stack your cakes these can be helpful. (They are truly wholesale!)

Second my first question is can you freeze mousse filling? Will the taste and consistency be ok after it thaws?

My next question is for those of you who purchased the buttercream DVD from Sharon Zambito. From what company did she say you can buy the extra large pastry bags from? I can't find my darn insert to the DVD and it's driving me crazy!

TIA

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 7

I bought my bubble tea straw stash from this company! I'm good to go until I'm 200 years old, but it was sOOOOO much cheaper than buying them in smaller quantities...........Quick shipping, too.

I make "mock mousse" using Bettercreme (no dairy) and have frozen many types. I have had problems defrosting anything using real fruit--whole or macerated--as it consistently comes out soupy. I've had to whip up more basic Bettercreme and incorporate the "soup". It works out OK, but not my favorite thing to do. Freshly made, the fruit mousses are perfect.

I think that the liquid and enzymes in the fruit do a "job" on the integrity of the mousse as/after it defrosts.

As for Sharon's DVD, I don't have it, but these bags are highly recommended by many decorators:

http://www.hygomax.com/
(max size 25")

http://www.keeseal.com/
(max size 21")

rae

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

Sweetlayers, I have Sharon's DVD but it's at home. You can probably just PM her and she'll let you know. I buy the large wilton ones for frosting the sides of the cake and they've held up well for me. I use the smaller disposables for piping etc.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, her dvd says she buys them (Hygo 18") from www.cakedeco.com.hth don,t you just love her dvds. I love them all.

sweetlayers Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:59am
post #5 of 7

[quote=I make "mock mousse" using Bettercreme (no dairy) and have frozen many types. I have had problems defrosting anything using real fruit--whole or macerated--as it consistently comes out soupy. I've had to whip up more basic Bettercreme and incorporate the "soup". It works out OK, but not my favorite thing to do. Freshly made, the fruit mousses are perfect.
[/quote]

Thanks for the mousse advice and the piping bag links.

I know the bettercreme is non dairy but does it "melt" if not refridgerated?

Will it be OK for outdoor weddings in the summer? I ask because I am in hot/humid nc. In the past I have tried to use the Wilton's non-dairy whipped icing mix to try making a mousse and it was really bad and not stable at all. My cakes were sliding all over the place. Even in cool temperatures. icon_mad.gif

sweetlayers Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:06am
post #6 of 7

Thanks icer101 and sillywabbiz. I appreciate your responses. @icer101: YES. I do love her dvd's. She really takes her time and does not edit too much of the process out. With her instructions, I can actually, figure out how much time things may take and plan my evenings accordingly!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:53am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

I know the bettercreme is non dairy but does it "melt" if not refridgerated?

Will it be OK for outdoor weddings in the summer? I ask because I am in hot/humid nc.

No, Bettercreme doesn't melt, but it does soften in heat & humidity, just like any buttercream or mousse would. I'm sure that in extreme heat & humidity, it could sag & slide if used as an exterior icing. I never use it for that purpose.

The only icing I know of that holds up well in high heat & humidity is a high ratio buttercream recipe (no dairy in it) and/or rolled fondant.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%