Cookie Glaze Getting Holes

Baking By awatterson Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm by messy1

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 8

When I flood the cookies they are ok. My problem is if I write on the cookies part of the icing gets a little hole in part of the line. I use Carmie00 cookie glaze thickened with powdered sugar for writing on my cookies. I have tried making it as thick as I can and I also try using really thin as well. Does anyone have any ideas?

7 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 8

Thats because of air bubbles. I think you might be mixing your glaze too much while trying to thicken it and so you incorporate a lot of air in it. Keep your glaze completely covered for a while after mixing so the air bubbles will come to surface and ....

Read these pictorial information on how to prevent air bubbles.

http://sweetopia.net/2010/02/how-to-prevent-air-bubbles-in-royal-icing/

http://sweetopia.net/2010/02/part-2-how-to-prevent-air-bubbles-in-royal-icing/

awatterson Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks. It isn't an air bubble like the kind you get from overmixing. I am going to try to attach a picture so you can see what I am talking about. Actually I guess I will have to post a picture in my pictures because I can't attach it here.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8

Is there grease or water interfering? It almost looks like the two sides are pulled away from each other (I'm looking at the swirled part of the scroll).

awatterson Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 8

No grease or water. I am wondering if I need more corn syrup.

mamanorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamanorm Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

same thing happens to me using Toba's glaze. I've tried thinning, thickening, more corn syrup, everything. I dry my cookies under a lamp, and that helps a little, but it still happens. It's like a little sink hole. Surely someone can help!

awatterson Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 8

I am glad that I am not the only one. I really like that glaze and I don't want to have to use royal icing.

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 8

I also have that problem. When I do the finish outlines, such as the decoration on a onsie, wherever the icing touches that last line a little sink hole is created. The only thing I can think of is that there is air pockets where they meet and that makes it sink in as it dries. I use Karen's glace recipe and I have always had that problem. I do not sell my cookies, just make them for family, but it would be nice to figure out what is going on. I also have dimples in my icing dots. That drives me crazy also. Hope someone can come up with something because I do not like royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%