Is "the Mat" Worth Buying?

Decorating By cakeastic Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm by dulcearoma

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:37am
post #1 of 18

Ive seen many advertsiments on the mat, which you roll your fondant between two plastic mats. I was about to buy it because i thought it would give you smooth, elephant skin free fondant on your cakes until i saw a couple of people saying that its really hard to get the fondant from the mat and its not a very good investment afterall. If you have it, can you please tell me if its worth buying because i was kind of excited about it.
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:53am
post #2 of 18

I would like to know too as the shipping to the UK is more than the cost of the actual mat!!

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 18

I bought it and it works great for me. I do wish I had first bought two pieces of vinyl and tried to see if that worked for a cheaper price.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 18

Well i'm waiting for mine,there was a thread where they were all raving about it.I think if the fondant is not too thin,i heard its great. I live in the UK too and had a problem with the shipping price.But then a few UK bakers jumped on that thread and said its the best thing they've bought,so I'm still waiting.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 18

Same here. I'm right next door in Canada and the shipping is ridiculous! More than the mat itself as well.
I really want it though!!! icon_sad.gif

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 18

At 16 dollars, it's not really much of an investment. I ordered one last week and can't wait to try it out.

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 18

So from where are you all ordering it from?
I mean i cant trust any site, i usually order from GSA but the problem is they dont have it icon_sad.gif

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 18

geez, wow! I ordered mine Friday morning and it came Monday! (ordered from Sweetwise...followed the link from the youtube video.) Love it, it's awesome.

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 18

I LOVE mine. You order it from http://www.sweetwise.com/

haymeli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haymeli Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 18

I just got mine and love it. I was actually thinking of getting a second one. they are big so I would like to have one cut down to use for small everyday cakes and the original size for really big cakes.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 18

I LOVE my Mat! Just be careful not to roll the fondant too thin. It also comes in a tube you can store the Mat in when not in use.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 18

I LOVE THE MAT! Just be sure to "season" it before you use it.
Wipe both pieces with vegetable shortening, then wipe off completely
with a paper towel. Unfortunately they don't contain any instructions with
it. I think it is well worth the cost, because the fondant comes out so smooth,
and once you get it started, it is so easy to drape over your cake, just like the Youtube video. HTH!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 18

That doesn't look any different than the clear plastic I bought from walmart and it was only a couple of dollars.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 18

There have been tons of the thread on the mat and the big difference between walmart vinyl and the mat is that the mat is guarenteed to be food safe. I started with vinyl and I'll say the texture and thickness of the mat is different from regular vinyl. Not sure why but I am thrilled to have a product I know is food safe. I too am thinking of buying a second set to cut down for smaller cakes. Also Sweetwise does mention that it takes a couple of uses before the mat is really broken in so if the first few times don't work so great, make sure you give it a second chance. I tried it with Duff's fondant and found the fondant was so hard (even hard to knead) that it was therefore hard to roll out. So make sure your fondant is pliable.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 18

Search the forums -- many threads on this subject with additional info. Walmart vinyl is not foodsafe -- it is toxic.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 18

Checking out the video right now. I found one that says you can get one from CalJava! This vendor is supposed to be at That Takes The Cake in Austin next month! I could wait to purchase it there...no shipping!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 18

Oh and CalJava is supposed to carry/come out with another mat that will have measurements so you can make your fondant will cover the cake correctly!

dulcearoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcearoma Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 18

IT'S NOT THE SAME PLASTIC AS WAL-MART. REGULAR PLASTIC IS NOT MADE OUT OF FOOD GRADE MATERIALS AND THEY HAVE TOXINS IN THEM. IN THIS CASE CHEAPER IS NOT BETTER. EVEN THOUGH $16.00 IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE...WELL WORTH IT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%