Question About Food Network Challenge

Lounge By amygortoncakes Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm by Kitagrl

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 9

I was watching it last night and I was wondering if you have to spend your own money on all the materials used in the cake. I mean those cakes are massive and I assumed that the show would pay for you to come and showcase your talent but I was reading another thread the other day about how horrible it is to be on these cake reality shows and it made me think. I was just wondering out of morbid curiosity.

Thanks

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 9

I heard that Ultimate Cakes coughed up a $2500 stipend, I heard that Food Network only coughed up $200. so it\\'s clearly a pay back in bragging rights and advertising venture wtih Food Network.

So I have never been on the shows and I\\'m only relaying what I have heard through the grapevine.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 9

It\\'s quite an investment for the contestant no matter where the decimal point is huh.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 9

They pay a $400 stipend for the cake. Plane ticket out for the lead and assistant and a hotel room for each of them.

From there, you are responsible for practice cake, and all things regarding your cake. And you have to mail out ALL of your tools. They provide a 5 qt KA, sheeter, microwave... but you mail everything else out on your dime. It ends up costing about $1500, take away the $400 stipend and it\\'s $1100 out of pocket to compete. Plus 4 days in Denver. plus the practice time and all of that...

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 9

Wow, thats pretty penny to pay out of pocket, but hey, they get great advertisement, thats investment.

Does any one know if they are going to have a new season for Ultimate Cake Off? I like that show

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 9

I was told by someone who competed that the contestants provide their own ingredients, supplies, equipment, transportation and shipping. This person did not mention whether they had to pay for their own hotel room or not. They said that the expenses cost as much as you can win - about $10,000. Buddy Valastro also mentioned this in one of his first posts here.
My contact also said that, win or lose, your business grows. If you win, it grows exponentially. If you lose, your phone still rings off the hook.

Apparently, if you have the initial 10 grand to invest, you'll make it back either way.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 9

They also pay for the rental car while you're in Denver. Yes, it's quite an investment, but it would be the best advertising money can buy for your business! IMO...

Domiee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Domiee Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 9

I would love to be on one of those shows one day!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 9

Wow, I'm officially no longer jealous of all those who have been chosen to compete!!!!!

I'm satisfied with having a couple of my cakes in local wedding magazines. Yay. No tv for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%