Edible Image Printer

Decorating By tabco Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 10:37pm by icingimages

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 33

I have seen cakes with edible images and was wandering if anyone could give me advice on where to get a printer, paper and ink. Also how does it work? Do you just find a picture of something on the internet and print it out? Any help/advice would be great!! Thank you!!

32 replies
haymeli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haymeli Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 33

I buy my paper and ink from icing images. The printer I bought on amazon because it was a lot cheaper than buying the whole system from icing images. When it comes to the images, I usually find them online.

tabco Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 33

Does it have to be a certain type of printer or can you get any printer and just use the edible ink and paper with it?

tabco Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 33

Does it have to be a certain type of printer or can you get any printer and just use the edible ink and paper with it?

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 33

you can find a list online of which printers are compatible. i think epson is most popular. i\\'ve been looking into getting one myself. the only thing that\\'s holding me back is that i read somewhere that an image must be printed at least on a weekly basis to keep the ink from drying/clogging? someone correct me if i\\'m wrong on that! i\\'m only a hobby decorator so i would only need an image every now and then but wanted one to have \\"just in case\\".

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 33

You can check with Icing images (which is on Cake Central) or Kopykake for a list of compatible printers. Canon is the preferable printer because you can take out the printer head and clean as it will get clogged.

It is true that you have to print at least once a week to keep ink from clogging. Unfortunately, I have gotten really good at cleaning printer head from clogs - It can be very frustrating, it\\'s worth it if you have a big demand for exact copies of logo\\'s or pictures.

I did find my Canon ip3600 on sale somewhere on internet and bought my original ink cartridges and frosting sheets from kopykake, I am now using Icing Image supplies.

Good Luck

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 33

I am searching too. Kopycake has a great reference chart on their website as to which are compatible w/edible printers and get this... walmart even carries a model at $39 ... Ink for that model (4 pack multi color) is $72. Not bad for the whole system. Now to find a bargain on rice paper. icon_biggrin.gif

haymeli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haymeli Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 33

When I did my search on the info, I found a lot of people recommended canon over epson because it is easier to clean. I bought a canon and so far has been great. I like icing images, their products are great and their customer service is fantastic.

tabco Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 33

So what model is $39 at walmart?

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 33

Well, I buckled and got the printer and ink. Shop around for ink though. I found it for $63 bucks from KopyKace but thru another website. Happy Bargain Shopping (and Decorating) lol...

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 33

Walmart\\'s website only and it\\'s the Epson Stylus NX115 .... go to Kopykace\\'s web page and look up the models. It will tell you all the different ones that are compatible w/edible ink cartridges for both cannon and epson. I looked for some reviews and there were quite a few who use epson printers for cake decorating with no issues. I hoep to be one of them icon_biggrin.gif

tabco Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:15pm
post #12 of 33

Awesome! So you just googled the name of the cartridges from KopyKakes and found it cheaper from a supplier other than KopyKakes? If you find the paper for a good price will you let me know? I am excited for you! I hope to be able to get myself set up also! Thanks for your help!! Look forward to see what great cakes you can make using this!! ~Amy

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #13 of 33

Canon has the best printers out there. Again, as someone already stated because of the removable printhead. If you get an ink clog in the Canon, you can fix it. In the Epson you cant. Which means if you get a clog, you will be out the printer. There was a thread on here where someone bought the Epson, tried it, had too many problems but had invested in the ink and was now out that money as well since she wanted to go to Canon. The best Canons are the Canon ip3600 and the Canon mp560. Remember when looking at other models, that just because it may be compatable, it doesnt mean it is good. We get customers daily who call and are having problems with Epsons and another suppliers ink and are so upset regarding the wasted investment. THough it may work for a few people, when you do run in to a problem, you will wish you had purchased the Canon. In the long run, it is worth the extra $$. You can mark your cakes up when printing with images Just $10 an image will return your investment faster than almost any other product you purchase. Remember you get what you pay for!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:19am
post #14 of 33

Thanks IcingImages... I know this is probably goofy.... BUT i don't run out and buy something expensive right off the bat. I may not like do the edible imaging. Call me goofy but my "trial" is cheap until I can determine if it's something I care to invest in, then if I like the end result... drop a boat load of cash on my "keeper". With so much out there and so many mixed reviews you have to try it to know if you will like it. Now I know the difference between the two and I will see what works for me. I love these forums! SO I assume you have suggestions on icing sheets and wafer paper too???

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:37am
post #15 of 33

One has a scanner and the other doesn't?

icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 33

chunkee: I understand, but you are not talking about that much more money, plus if you purchase a printer that is known to have problems, then you are setting yourself up to fail and get inaccurate results. You not talking about much more money to purchase a CAnon ip3600 over the Epson. The cartridges are pretty much a wash in cost. Just a thought!

DST: the mp560 has a scanner, the ip3600 does not. But if you have your own scanner, no need to go after the mp560. The ip3600 is easier to find and less expensive.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 33

well that sux for me i just got my edible image system yesterday i got the epson NX415 my husband got it for me for Christmas hope all goes well now you guys have me worried

icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:46pm
post #18 of 33

It will work, these are my recommendations. Some people do great with them, others dont. Can you return it?????

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 33

I had an epson for several years and recently switched to a canon as I wanted to go wireless. There is a world of difference in the print quality. There is also a world of difference in the cartridges from icingimages compared to kopykake. The quality of the gold label cartridges from icingimages is much supurb!!!

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 33

I had an epson that clogged after the first year and could not fix it. Switched to a Canon with Icingimages ink and have had no problems. I try to remember to run something through every week or so, but I often forget. It works everytime. It's a ip4600

shelly-101 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

It will work, these are my recommendations. Some people do great with them, others dont. Can you return it?????

No i set it all up last night with the edible ink...........it was only 99.00 so i guess I'm not to worried about it hopefully it will last me a little while i will just have to make sure i stay on top of it i guess i even did some research and was told by kopykake that the epson NX415 was one of the recommended ones. oh well i guess that's what i get for being in such a hurry to get an edible image system....lol

icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:42pm
post #22 of 33

Wellll hopefully all will go well. As you go along, if you start having problems, do not invest too much in it. I know some people who go a long for a long time without any problem. But if you ever have problems and need help, just ask, I will be glad to try and help. Not much you can do with epsons, but you never know! Just remember to use it regularly to help to avoid problems

shelly-101 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:30pm
post #23 of 33

thank you icingimages i will

icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:55pm
post #24 of 33

We shall pray that your machine will work miracles!!!!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:41am
post #25 of 33

My experience with Epson Stylus C-88+ is that I hate this machine with a passion lol! I use to have a Canon and I remember in 1998 when they started it was the only model available (I mean brand) it was good and then I decided to try the Epson and I just don't like it at all so many problems. I am making my list for christmas and I am looking for a good Canon printer.

I haven't try any other frosting sheets than kopykake I would love to try another brand and i would love to see all kinds of colors available. thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:17pm
post #26 of 33

I've used kopykake and icingimages sheets and IMO icingimages are better quality and a little larger. I also prefer their gold label ink. Their customer service is awsome!!!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:55pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I've used kopykake and icingimages sheets and IMO icingimages are better quality and a little larger. I also prefer their gold label ink. Their customer service is awsome!!!

So good to know! The next time I need ink and/or icing images I will give them a try! I use Kopykake icing sheets and they seem "different"...thicker maybe, than I remember from a while back. I don't care for them. And, I don't think my cartridges are"gold label", so I will definitely give those a try next time instead of refilling my cartridges.

OH...while IcingImages is on this thread...I wanted to ask you something. I ran out of ink a while back (refill ink too) for my black cartridge and I was desperate to finish a cake that required edible images. SO, I filled my black cartridges with airbrush color and it worked brilliantly, with no side effects. I have since refilled again using the correct medium, but I have a TON of airbrush color (blue, cyan, magenta and black) in large sizes and would love to be able to use them up. Do you foresee a potential problem in using them in my printer cartridges? I don't want to if the compound properties will damage my printer...but thought I would ask!

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm
post #28 of 33

Hey, as long as this topic has been pulled back up... How do I clean clogged cartridges and printer heads on the Cannon. My husband has a habit of putting away all my cake stuff (I'll throw the printer back in the box, but leave it out on a chair) in a closet. And... Out of sight, out of mind. I haven't used it since March, and I'm sure everything is probably clogged. TIA!

icingimages Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #29 of 33

Do you have cleaner or a steamer? If not, place a paper towel in a bowl, place your printhead in there and pour hot water in to the ports, let it sit over night. Then flush it with hot water till it runs clear. Dry it and try printing. Be careful, if you are using sponged cartridges, your sponges may be dry. What brand are you using for ink?

leasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leasey Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:22am
post #30 of 33

Thanks for the great info. Im deciding on which canon to buy. Is the ip3600 wireless?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%