Should I Make My Own Choc Fondant Or Use Choco Pan

Baking By gincake12 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 3:09am by gincake12

gincake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gincake12 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 15

I want to cover a 14 in square cake in chocolate fondant. I need a recipe that is reliable. Should I make my own chocolate fondant, or should I purchase Choco-Pan. It's expensive, so I'd rather make it if someone has a good reliable recipe. I was also going to make chocolate swags using chocolate clay but I have never done this either ...
Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
Cindy icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 15

I've tried several times to use Choco-pan and I never can cover a cake without it tearing. I have used it for accents with no problem. You can also buy chocolate fondarific, cost less and taste the same to me, like a tootsie roll.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 15

1 ounce melted semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
1 TBSP cocoa powder

Just add these two ingredients to your regular MMF. Melt your chocolate and put it in with your melted marshmallows and sift the cocoa powder with the powdered sugar. This makes a really great and easy chocolate MMF. I think I got the recipe from The Cake Stylist can't remember for sure, but used it on my son's groom's cake and it was a hit. I might even like it better than the plain MMF.

gincake12 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you so much MadMillie for letting me know your experience with Choco Pan- that was very helpful since I need it to be reliable! GrandMomof1 I use a different fondant recipe but I am going to try your suggestion by adding the chocolate to the liquid portion of my recipe - I\\\\\\'ve not had good luck with MMF. I will let you know how it turns out! icon_lol.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 15

ChocoPan is great for small projects, but I totally agree that it\\'s hard to cover a large or even a medium sized cake with. I love making chocolate MMF. It\\'s super easy. I just add about 1/2 of dark cocoa to the MMF recipe. I usually end up needing just a little bit less powdered sugar, but only by a cup or so. I still add some brown food coloring as well depending on how dark I want the color. Good luck!

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 15

I had one cake prior that I had covered in Duff\\'s chocolate fondant...I agree, the store bought fondant isn\\'t great for covering a cake, it\\'s nice for accent pieces. I made chocolate mmf for the first time this past weekend using recipe above and i\\'ll never buy again icon_smile.gif Good luck!

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 15

Let us know how it turns out. If possible, post pictures. Good luck!!!!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 15

YEs,would love to see the pic of you cake with this Choc. MMF...Never made before, but will try it myself also! Thanks for the info!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 15

I have made chocolate fondant using glycerine, gelatine, and cocoa, etc.... it tasted wonderful, but wanted to sag. That was okay as I was using it for a tree trunk and I could work with the sags. Since then, I have used Satin Ice Dark chocolate. It is wonderful tasting and was much easier to use than my homemade. If I need it to be lighter, I simply combine it with regular fondant to lighten the shade. It still tastes wonderful. HTH!

rosa369 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 15

Win, thank for the information !!!

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 15

I second the Satin Ice....I make MMF routinely, but have trouble with chocolate and red fondant. I just find that the homemade version I make tears easily once I add the other ingredients. So I now buy Satin Ice Dark Chocolate and Red, and I have had no trouble or concerns at all. It is very easy to turn the Dark Chocolate black as well, which is an added bonus!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 15

[quote=\\"cab333\\"] It is very easy to turn the Dark Chocolate black as well, which is an added bonus![/quote]

Agreed! It is what I use for black as well, and I too buy the red vs. trying to dye my own.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

gincake12 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 15

I am so glad I found you guys! I am very excited about this cake. it is actually my brother's wedding cake. The bride wanted something funky and non traditional so when she said "hot pink" flowers i said "chocolate fondant" before I realized what I had said! She LOVED the sketch I sent so now I'm committed. I will definitely post pics of finished cake. Thanks so much

rosa369 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 15

We want to see pictures!!!!!

gincake12 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:09am
post #15 of 15

Okay, I have finished the cake! The bride LOVED it! She said it looked just like a Dr. Suess cake - just like she wanted. Hmmm- not your typical bride, I guess. Anyway, she was so gracious and you all were so helpful. I'm trying to post the picture, so here goes.

About the cake: As I was warned, the chocolate fondant cracked on rolling. And re-rolling,..etc. But the chocolate swags didn't crack at all. The difference? The swags were chocolate fondant mixed with equal parts (more or less) gumpaste and then darkened with brown coloring. They were so pretty I wish I could have covered the whole cake with it. thank you so much for all your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%