Stop With The Negativity!

Lounge By Frecklysmom Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm by Karen421

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #31 of 125

No, it's actually good point. And if you can't laugh at what I wrote...I'm sorry for you. icon_sad.gif

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm
post #32 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntlySpeakingKarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

Happy thoughts create happy cakes.

And sugar plum fairies might dance out of my butt. I mean really, it's the internets. People are people. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

But really it's true. I my field I see the negative cake decorators usually not do as well in business and not strive as far in making an unique design for their clients. Smiles are really the main ingredient in high end cakes.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #33 of 125

Ah, see snarking on a cake site does not make someone a negative caker. It makes one a snarky person who highly enjoys what they do. On the other hand, I see that people that don't tend to take the "smiley cakies" approach to be much more grounded in their business practice, highly attentive to their customer base, and are just kick ass all the way around. And they have a sense of humor and can see how a sugar plum fairy coming out of someone's butt is actually FUNNY! Funny!! Really! Laugh! It's ok! Again, it's the internets. It's almost pretend.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:08pm
post #34 of 125
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Happy thoughts create happy cakes.

And sugar plum fairies might dance out of my butt. I mean really, it's the internets. People are people. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

But really it's true. I my field I see the negative cake decorators usually not do as well in business and not strive as far in making an unique design for their clients. Smiles are really the main ingredient in high end cakes.

But I don't think anyone is advocating negativity...just reality based, honest discussion. Happy and negative are not the only options.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:12pm
post #35 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-G

I'm a newbie to posting also - I read a bunch but I'm just recently jumping in to post.

While there are negative comments, I think posting a whole thread about them kinda keeps it going.

thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:18pm
post #36 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-G

I'm a newbie to posting also - I read a bunch but I'm just recently jumping in to post.

While there are negative comments, I think posting a whole thread about them kinda keeps it going.

thumbs_up.gif

That's sure true.

I think truth should always be tempered with grace and grace should always be tempered with truth most of the time. There's a balance. It's a choice.

We should probably move on.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:18pm
post #37 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Happy and negative are not the only options.

Apparently they are here, there is no middle ground.

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:22pm
post #38 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda_estrada

its just getting ridiculous, thanks for making us who aren't "forum superstars" feel unwelcomed cake central

I can understand it is frustrating....but it isn't Cake Central's fault. They can't control what people put on, and because of "freedom of speech" they can't delete or control postings.

I find the rude postings are reflective of how the world seems to be going...politeness is not abundant anymore!!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:22pm
post #39 of 125

thumbs_up.gif Bluntlyspeakingskarma
We talk all the time about getting a backbone and not being the 'nice little girls' anymore, but as soon as someone does, they are negative and rude?

Totally love what I do and increasing starting to become more a competition in my market, and straight-up, it's the same way I approached high school. Chances that I am going to run into any of you or any of you are going to have a huge impact in my life are pretty much slim to none, so why should I care what anyone thinks or says about it. Even more so on an internet forum. Eh, but I guess that's why I was also called mean and rude in HS - because I wasn't a 'yes' person. That and I stayed focused on the real things that matter in life - what a crazy concept, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:24pm
post #40 of 125

we're like a huge family.... not everyone agrees. But I agree, if people don't like the cake, then they don't even have to look at it! Same thing on youtube, if you don't like the way someone sings, then don't listen to them!!

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:24pm
post #41 of 125

Forget cowbell we need more Sugar Plum Fairies!

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm
post #42 of 125

Exactly. I saw a thread the other day that hurt my little calloused heart (it's not calloused, but I'm sure if some of you think that it will help you tolerate me better). This girl posted a pic of this cake with sliding tiers and lumpy fondant. Asked, why no one was complimenting her and why the recipient of the cake wasn't thrilled. Did anyone say "you need to practice and tidy up your skills before selling"? Nope. I read "Oh chin up darling, not everyone can be perfect. Shame on them for not appreciating your work." Bollocks!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:34pm
post #43 of 125

k8memphis: AMEN!!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:03pm
post #44 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriekailee

I can understand it is frustrating....but it isn't Cake Central's fault. They can't control what people put on, and because of "freedom of speech" they can't delete or control postings.

Actually, the powers-that-be of all the forums I belong to delete posts & threads all the time. I'm sure they do it here, too.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:03pm
post #45 of 125

No one likes criticism. But constructive criticism is something that everyone can deal with.

Should we coddle everyone on her and say "oh its ok, not everyones perfect" NO. But should we say " OMG that cake is horrible you should run away from decorating really fast." NO.

I will full heartidly admit that my cakes are not wonderful pieced of art, and I can take criticism with the best of them. But what if instead of saying something was horrible, we said that it was a nice try and suggest some things they can improve on and how.

Sounds like the best of both worlds.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:07pm
post #46 of 125

Honesty is appreciated, but it doesn't have to be 'brutal'.
Opinions are welcomed, but they don't have to be so self-righteously harsh on others who don't agree.
I think hiding behind a computer screen gives some people an 'untouchable' sense of security - they can say whatever they want, however they want to say it and to whomever lands in their crossfire - what's the reprocussion? And if a well-known forum poster/character doesn't want to be retaliated against, they just start a new account and spill. This forum 'hobby' is like a secret identity - a double life, if you will - in that you can be whatever you want, as smart as you want and as successful as you say - whose gonna disprove you? It's easy to say certain things when you don't have to look people in the eye when you say it.

JMO and experience from reading so much on the forum. But no matter how caddy, how 'know-it-all-ish', how snooty it gets - a bad day on cakecentral is better than a great day at work...Lol. And aside from the bad, it's worth it for all the good that one gains from being able to sift through the 'rubbish'.

Have a great day all... icon_biggrin.gif

bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm
post #47 of 125
Quote:

Exactly. I saw a thread the other day that hurt my little calloused heart (it's not calloused, but I'm sure if some of you think that it will help you tolerate me better). This girl posted a pic of this cake with sliding tiers and lumpy fondant. Asked, why no one was complimenting her and why the recipient of the cake wasn't thrilled. Did anyone say "you need to practice and tidy up your skills before selling"? Nope. I read "Oh chin up darling, not everyone can be perfect. Shame on them for not appreciating your work." Bollocks!

Interesting- so context is an important consideration. A young girl might need more "smiley" encouragement, whereas an aspiring home-kitchen caker might need a little more critical feedback. Since there's no way to ever completely know the contextual factors involved in most circumstances, it seems there's no one right answer.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:20pm
post #48 of 125
Quote:

...but it isn't Cake Central's fault. They can't control what people put on, and because of "freedom of speech" they can't delete or control postings.

Just a point of clarification...It is a misconception that "Freedom of speech" means you can say anything you want anywhere you want and no one can stop you. "Freedom of speech" means only that the government cannot limit your speech. Forum owners, however, can. We are here only because they are gracious enough to allow us to be. It is their site and they can claim complete control over what is posted here.

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:37pm
post #49 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

Straight forward and Honest = Rude here on CC

I have found out that unless you are willing to bite your tongue, lie ,use emoticons to hide behind and continually stroke the Ego's of everyone else on here then CC is not the place for you.

Too many valuable and knowledgeable minds have been run off by the Carebear squad, but at the end of the day it's CC's loss, not theirs.

The problem isn't the negativity it's the sensitivity.
So with that said,I think people need to stop with the sensitivity, grow a pair and have an adult conversation.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm
post #50 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfab

Quote:

Interesting- so context is an important consideration. A young girl might need more "smiley" encouragement, whereas an aspiring home-kitchen caker might need a little more critical feedback. Since there's no way to ever completely know the contextual factors involved in most circumstances, it seems there's no one right answer.

Oh no, there most certainly IS only one answer when money is being exchanged. Buck up buttercup, you're in business now!

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:03pm
post #51 of 125
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda_estrada

its just getting ridiculous, thanks for making us who aren't "forum superstars" feel unwelcomed cake central

I find the rude postings are reflective of how the world seems to be going...politeness is not abundant anymore!!

Actually we can and do deleted posts all the time. You can use the REPORT POST button and the bottom of a post if you feel it is inappropriate or a violation of the rules and a moderator will review it and take action if needed.

bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:13pm
post #52 of 125
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfab

Quote:

Oh no, there most certainly IS only one answer when money is being exchanged. Buck up buttercup, you're in business now!

Here's irony- I don't understand what you mean... a great illustration of how things get lost in text. Are you saying that when someone is making money on their cakes, there is always one way to interact with them? I was talking about the whole honesty/rudeness/politeness/sugar-coating debate (i.e., do you always give positive feedback or do you sometimes say things that are more critical?).

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:15pm
post #53 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

Straight forward and Honest = Rude here on CC

I have found out that unless you are willing to bite your tongue, lie ,use emoticons to hide behind and continually stroke the Ego's of everyone else on here then CC is not the place for you.

Too many valuable and knowledgeable minds have been run off by the Carebear squad, but at the end of the day it's CC's loss, not theirs.

The problem isn't the negativity it's the sensitivity.
So with that said,I think people need to stop with the sensitivity, grow a pair and have an adult conversation.

thumbs_up.gif I find the brutal honesty to be nice. I value honesty and truth, not sugar coated lies. I'd rather someone be "rude" and I gain insight and knowledge from it. I have only found a few comments on other people's post to be labeled as uncalled for, but the majority I say it good. I also enjoy a good debate. icon_cool.gif

Fluffers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fluffers Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:17pm
post #54 of 125

Oh dear! I just joined and this is what I find? So sad. You tell 'em Donkeyman. This is supposed to be happy sight.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #55 of 125

Lori_hutchcakes, I love you!!! I love you!!! i love you!!! I read your blog and drool over your cakes. When i grow up i want to be you!!!! Dont write a post about me stalking you. Im not, im just loving you real hard <3 huge fan!!!!

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:29pm
post #56 of 125

It is possible to be honest and not mean! I was raised to speak the TRUTH with LOVE. It's simple....treat others the way you want to be treated. Some people on CC are rude when they make comments but most people on this site are kind and considerate. Since there will always be rude people in the world, try to focus on the people here that make this site warm and welcoming.

Fluffers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fluffers Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #57 of 125

can someone tell me how to make a cake that's 4 tires high?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:35pm
post #58 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffers

Oh dear! I just joined and this is what I find? So sad. You tell 'em Donkeyman. This is supposed to be happy sight.

icon_surprised.gif Welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Don't let this scare you!! This is a GREAT place to come for help or advice and everyone is very nice!!! REALLY!!!! Sometimes we all have a bad day!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #59 of 125
Quote:

Trying to change the subject? Great idea!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #60 of 125
Quote:

Try this on stacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaCSW78ybc&feature=related

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%