Should I Decline This Cake?

Decorating By prismperfect Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm by jenmat

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:13pm
post #31 of 47

Do I think you could do the cake and get it done in time? Yes. But I'd be asking myself the question of whether I want to devote that much time, during the holidays, to making this cake for just 20 people. Not to mention the stress that will come along with it. I get the feeling that part of you would like the challenge of making the cake, but at another time; and that you want to give yourself permission to not make it. Go with what the previous poster said about telling them no. And, you have already made plans for the holidays, even if it's to just kick back and put your feet up and relax, those are plans too. You aren't obligated to make a last minute cake, during the holidays, just because someone wants it.

It is ok to say no.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:21pm
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Do I think you could do the cake and get it done in time? Yes. But I'd be asking myself the question of whether I want to devote that much time, during the holidays, to making this cake for just 20 people. Not to mention the stress that will come along with it. I get the feeling that part of you would like the challenge of making the cake, but at another time; and that you want to give yourself permission to not make it. Go with what the previous poster said about telling them no. And, you have already made plans for the holidays, even if it's to just kick back and put your feet up and relax, those are plans too. You aren't obligated to make a last minute cake, during the holidays, just because someone wants it.

It is ok to say no.

Amen!! Life can be so much simpler when you just say no. You are stressing about it already. Turn it down and enjoy your holiday.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 10:09pm
post #33 of 47

I don't think it's reasonable of him to expect you to pull a cake out of your hat at short notice over the holiday period, and for new year's day no less! Just tell him you'll be too busy to make it at such short notice.

I get why people got their hackles up over your wording. Although you may not have meant it that way, using the words 'I'm a perfectionist so mine would be a lot cleaner than that one' does imply that you think the original was 'rough' or poorly executed, even though you liked the design of it. It can easily be taken as an indirect put-down of the original cake-maker's skills. And really, stating it like that was unnecessary if all you meant to say was "I'd like to make a more detailed version of it, which will take longer to make". Perhaps to save offence you could just delete that paragraph from your post?

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:22am
post #34 of 47

I really like the original cake icon_smile.gif

beccachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccachris Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:46pm
post #35 of 47

I'm the baker of the cake in question and I'd like to say that in my description I do mention that it was made for my son for his birthday. It was not sold, so no copyright issue was broken.

Thanks to kelleym (and others) who stuck up for me!

Yes, my feeling were hurt when I read this post originally, but the OP has since apologized. This was one of the very first cakes I did, so while it might not be as "clean" as it could have been, I was very pleased with it and my son loved it!

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:53pm
post #36 of 47

Ouch, this thread hurts to read. The original cake was adorable, but honestly I don't think she meant to be rude, her words just came out wrong. Some people on here are a bit touchy icon_lol.gif

chasenboomsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasenboomsmom Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:10pm
post #37 of 47

i love love love the original cake, i think it was nicely done..especially if it was one of your first cakes!!! amazing job..my cakes cant touch this one...as for making the cake in time, if you feel that guilty not making the cake, then make it...do the best job that you can do...like you said its for a family member...and a sixteen year old!! do you really think they are going to say " this cake isnt perfect, wish you would of bought me one from the store!!" absolutely not, every kid loves a specialty cake, hands down, whether it is perfect or not...maybe the perfectionist in you will be stressing over the detailing but i think that will all go away when everyone tells you how amazing it looks...GOOD LUCK and enjoy your holidays!!!

beccachris Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:14pm
post #38 of 47

Here's a link to the original cake I got the inspiration for mine from:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatemoosecakes/3456509587/in/set-72157623402504918/

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccachris

Yes, my feeling were hurt when I read this post originally, but the OP has since apologized. This was one of the very first cakes I did, so while it might not be as "clean" as it could have been, I was very pleased with it and my son loved it!

thumbs_up.gif It's a very cute cake.

beccachris Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #40 of 47

Thanks kelleym (and everyone else) for the positive comments!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm
post #41 of 47

Thank you moderators!!! thumbs_up.gif

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:52pm
post #42 of 47

My suggestion would be - plan! Good planning is required for any cake, big or small. If you sit down and make couple of figurines and sketch the background for the cake itself ahead of time, may be make the bomb out of RKT or foam ahead of time too, than it wont take too much time for you to put it all together pretty fast.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #43 of 47

Since I keep seeing this mentioned, I asked my DH who is a copyright and trademark attorney and he says that you don't have to sell the cake for there to be copyright infringement. Selling it probably makes you more likely to be sued, though.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:30pm
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_learning

Since I keep seeing this mentioned, I asked my DH who is a copyright and trademark attorney and he says that you don't have to sell the cake for there to be copyright infringement. Selling it probably makes you more likely to be sued, though.

What a lovely way to tie up the court system...suing bakers. What if you SELL the cake that was baked in a character pan?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:37pm
post #45 of 47

copyrighted character pans are clearly labeled for home use only and not to be used to sell. Buying the cake does not buy the licensed that allows for reproduction.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccachris

I'm the baker of the cake in question and I'd like to say that in my description I do mention that it was made for my son for his birthday. It was not sold, so no copyright issue was broken.

Thanks to kelleym (and others) who stuck up for me!

I think your cake looks good. For most readers I don't think that was ever in question but everyone has their own opinion. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just wanted to say that.
Lala,

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm
post #47 of 47

To answer the actual question, you should be asking yourself- If the cake doesn't go perfectly, if the recipe fails, the gumpaste doesn't dry, if the writing bleeds, if etc etc etc happens, will it be worth it to be working on this cake during the holiday season and stressing out about it all week?
Because the cake isn't that difficult (but cute!), but many cakes can turn into "too difficult" if things don't go as exactly as planned, and Murphy's Law says....
If I were a full fledged business, I would be doing the cake, there is no reason not to. BUT, if I was a SAHM or working mom who does this for a hobby, there is NO WAY I would be doing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%