Tlc's The Next Great Baker

Lounge By mykidsarekillingme Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm by cownsj

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 89

So what did everyone think about Buddy's new show, The Next Great baker? I thought they acted really mean and cocky and the boxcar at the end...OMG!

88 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 89

Yeah, the boxcar at the end is also shaky with me . still on the fence, will give it a few more tries before stopping.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 89

Check out this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-704078-buddys.html+baker

I think the show needs some help!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 89

I enjoyed the challenges - didn't care for the way Buddy asked the loser the to leave (disgrace!) in the back of the truck or how rude Mary can be; but even Buddy's 'Cake Boss' show is out of the box at times with too much drama & SCREAMING. I enjoyed seeing the contestants try to adapt to everything so quickly. I'll keep watching. In just one show last night, I've kind of latched on to the contestants and have a couple that I am rooting for already. icon_biggrin.gif

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 89

Yeah I agree very disappointing! They were NOT amateurs, and that was sad. I thought that was the point- to try to give one of us nobodies a chance. icon_wink.gif And there was drama- I see enough of that- I put this right next to Cake Wars. Sorry Buddy~~no points here!

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 89

I read the other thread, I I have to agree with several of the posts. I too applied and was mislead on what they were looking for. I think personality definetly played a huge role on who got picked!

rosequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosequeen Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 89

I also applied to be on the show but only made it to the second round of casting. I really think it would be a better show if it focused more on amateur decorators. I don't get the point of professionals being on the show. Why would they want to work with Buddy if they already have a business. Seems more like a big advertisement to me.

I'll give the show one more shot but I don't expect to keep watching. But maybe I'm just being a little spiteful icon_smile.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 89

While I think Buddy has a lot of talent, it is only with decorating cakes-not in being in front of a camera. Cake Boss was annoying to watch with all the fake/silly drama that was artificially injected into each episode and this new show is even harder to watch. I give it two thumbs down thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 89

There were 2 reasons I didn't apply, 1) I can't stand Buddy and 2) it said you had to be an amature. I am not an amature caker. Then I find out a guy who owns an Austin bakery (he is really good) is one of the contestants. When I heard that, I was like (WHAT?) icon_eek.gif . Thinking he must have lied on his application to get in. Now after hearing that all the contestants are professional bakers kind of pisses me off, icon_mad.gif and made me realize that it was again the unscrupulous underhanded nonexistant ethics of TLC/Discovery that cast and developed this major fiasco #2 of a show (their first fiasco being Cake Boss) thumbsdown.gif . With the exception of Fabulous Cakes, TLC is the Jerry Springer knock off of FN when it comes to cake shows and competitions. When I see anything with Buddy on it I change the channel. And I highly doubt that if FN asks him to return for a challenge that I will watch. This guy and his family have absolutely no class. They may have money, but no class in my opinion.

I keep waiting for a reality TV show that shows the ins & outs of the everyday dance studio (not the big wig ones) and it's owner(s) icon_biggrin.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

. Now after hearing that all the contestants are professional bakers kind of pisses me off, and made me realize that it was again the unscrupulous underhanded nonexistant ethics of TLC/Discovery that cast and developed this major fiasco #2 of a show (their first fiasco being ).

Actually, I think this is really more an issue with the production company and casting agency than TLC itself.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 89

I agree with previous posters about how annoying Buddy is and how fake all the drama is. They should have hired a host and just had him come in to judge.

With that said, I couldn't believe how ugly all the cakes were. I didn't know that you were supposed to be amateur but even if they all were beginners I could have turned out better cakes than half of them. Very shocking, especially since some of them owned their own shops.

Gave me a boost of confidence. I know its hard to work in new environments but still.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 89

Does anyone have any photos of the cakes these contestants have turned out? Curious minds are dying to see!

Mb20fan Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

With the exception of Fabulous Cakes, TLC is the Jerry Springer knock off of FN when it comes to cake shows and competitions.

I love Fabulous Cakes. I love that they stick to just showcasing the 'cakes' and the talented artists. I also love that they share the cost of cakes.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 89

1st I have to admit that I'm not a fan of "Buddy" or his show. When I first heard about this upcoming show I was thrilled BECAUSE it stated that it was going to feature amauters. I thought great!!!, something for the general public to watch and see that what we do is no easy task. Then I watch the show and they all have some kind of background, and the 1 guy with the ugliest cake (apparently his a pastry chef icon_eek.gif) said his cake was suppose to be a statue??? icon_confused.gif Well needless to say I was disappointed. SSSOOOOOO here's what I did icon_twisted.gif, I went on the website and left a nice.....yes nice comment that if "Buddy" wanted to see what an amatuer can do (better then him even) maybe he should check out CAKECENTRAL and see WHAT an amatuer can really do!!! NOT his so called contestants! (that was nice? right?)

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 89

Amateur Cakers??? Is not Brian the one that posted that T-Rex Dinosaur tutorial standing on the top of a cake that looked like a cracking volcano, with lava coming out and smoke and all sort of special effects??? I will be that amateur within like 7 more year of cake experience!!!! LOL

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:58pm
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie53

Yeah I agree very disappointing! They were NOT amateurs, and that was sad. I thought that was the point- to try to give one of us nobodies a chance. icon_wink.gif And there was drama- I see enough of that- I put this right next to Cake Wars. Sorry Buddy~~no points here!

Julie53 - you are certainly not a "nobody", as we are all somebody. I agree that the tactics used in selecting the competitors was way off base. I follow another site - cakes we bake - and they recently had a cake contest for people who have baked only 30 cakes or less. I thought that was an admirable thing to do as beginners (like me) dont have all the experience. And in my case, I havent taken any classes - all of my experience is from the land of hard knocks.

You hold your head up Julie - one day we will get there. Maybe not on national tv - but we will find our way. thumbs_up.gif

Tclanton Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Well needless to say I was disappointed. SSSOOOOOO here's what I did icon_twisted.gif, I went on the website and left a nice.....yes nice comment that if "Buddy" wanted to see what an amatuer can do (better then him even) maybe he should check out CAKECENTRAL and see WHAT an amatuer can really do!!! NOT his so called contestants! (that was nice? right?)

I love this!!!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 89

Like a lot of others I'm not a fan of all the FAKE drama on sooo many of the programs on tv, Buddy's being one of them. That said, this show too it seems has been directed in mean spirit or added drama (call it what you want).
Tired of all the bad programming on tv, is it any wonder I sit at my computer in the evening looking at beautiful cakes made by talented people!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 89

I've got to be honest with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 contestants on the show I was VERY underwhelmed with the skill level the "10 best bakers in America". I feel most of them were lacking talent..and there are many designers on here that blow most of them away!!! Very disappointingicon_sad.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm
post #20 of 89
Quote:

1st I have to admit that I'm not a fan of "Buddy" or his show. When I first heard about this upcoming show I was thrilled BECAUSE it stated that it was going to feature amauters. I thought great!!!, something for the general public to watch and see that what we do is no easy task. Then I watch the show and they all have some kind of background, and the 1 guy with the ugliest cake (apparently his a pastry chef icon_eek.gif) said his cake was suppose to be a statue??? icon_confused.gif Well needless to say I was disappointed. SSSOOOOOO here's what I did icon_twisted.gif, I went on the website and left a nice.....yes nice comment that if "Buddy" wanted to see what an amatuer can do (better then him even) maybe he should check out CAKECENTRAL and see WHAT an amatuer can really do!!! NOT his so called contestants! (that was nice? right?)

haha love it! It gave me a boost of confidence as well. I am not the greatest but I am learning and I could do better. Wish we could piitcha show for amatuers I would definitely love to do it!

Tclanton Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:27pm
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Quote:

haha love it! It gave me a boost of confidence as well. I am not the greatest but I am learning and I could do better. Wish we could piitcha show for amatuers I would definitely love to do it!

You could be on to something here!!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm
post #22 of 89

I remember before CAKEBOSS aired, Buddy came onto Cake Central to solicit us to watch the show. He is familiary with this site. Maybe he'll come back! LOL

Tclanton Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:42pm
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I remember before aired, Buddy came onto Cake Central to solicit us to watch the show. He is familiary with this site. Maybe he'll come back! LOL

Good point and I really hope that he does read all the postings here. Not that it would make any difference at all, but I think that he should be aware of the comments. I just have to sit a little at bay because we all know that he has to answer to someone at TLC. I know that fame and fortune can often ruin people, but I truly hope that he hasnt let "stardom" set people up for failure.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I remember before aired, Buddy came onto Cake Central to solicit us to watch the show. He is familiary with this site. Maybe he'll come back! LOL

Good point and I really hope that he does read all the postings here. Not that it would make any difference at all, but I think that he should be aware of the comments. I just have to sit a little at bay because we all know that he has to answer to someone at TLC. I know that fame and fortune can often ruin people, but I truly hope that he hasnt let "stardom" set people up for failure.

I doubt that he's allowed to post on public boards that aren't TLC-owned anymore, because of the shows. However, I'll bet that if someone comes on here and starts defending the show up and down, it's a good possibility that it's him or one of his employees icon_wink.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:02pm
post #25 of 89

I'll watch any cake show, doesn't matter if I like the people or not, still want to see anything cake related. Didn't understand how the one girl stayed on the show, when she left her cakes in the oven and they burnt. Where did her cakes come from in the decorating part of the show. Her work was sloppy, so I didn't understand why the other girl went home. Her cake looked fine. They like drama, so she was too subdued, they want the firey ones. I just want it too be fair.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:24pm
post #26 of 89

I wasn't impressed @ all either. I thought all were very green except for maybe 3. Was their definition of amateur "never decorated a cake in their lifetime"? That one guy's cake was horrible with the green snakes stuck on the sides. He said that he didn't have ANY experience decorating. I thought that Mary made some pretty rude comments on the green halloween cake. She thought it wasn't very professional or current to use buttercream rather than fondant. Has she ever even made a cake? Does she know the skill it takes to get smooth buttercream? She shouldn't even be a judge. How degrading to be told to "go to the boxcar"! Ridiculous!
I could go on & on, but I'll stop. I really don't think this show will last more than a few episodes.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:27pm
post #27 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

I agree with previous posters about how annoying Buddy is and how fake all the drama is. They should have hired a host and just had him come in to judge.

With that said, I couldn't believe how ugly all the cakes were. I didn't know that you were supposed to be amateur but even if they all were beginners I could have turned out better cakes than half of them. Very shocking, especially since some of them owned their own shops.

Gave me a boost of confidence. I know its hard to work in new environments but still.

They posted an ad on Craigslist (that's where my husband learned about the new show) and said they were looking for talented amateurs for this show. Buddy would teach a new technique to the contestants each week and they would see who could learn and adapt that new technique the best, and who could grow into the position. Then for the past week each commercial on tv has been showcasing each of the contestants and giving their professional caking backgrounds. The original ad sounded like it was written specifically for my husband (and I'm sure it sounded the same to loads of other people as well). Then to find the switch after going trhough all the work of their application process is so disappointing, to say the least.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:27pm
post #28 of 89

Multilayered - I totally agree with you. I watched the show last night for the first time, not sure how long its been on. But I thought the cakes were not good at all. I am betting that if these people own bakeries - their workers are doing all this wonderful work, not them. I could choose 10 hobby bakers from this site that do a heck of a better job then those people on the show.

Mb20fan Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:29pm
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I'll watch any cake show, doesn't matter if I like the people or not, still want to see anything cake related.

Me too...I'd watch just about anything on cakes and baking too, even the re-runs sometimes to maybe catch something I didn't the first go round. I just take away from it the good stuff that I like and ignore the rest.

To me, a crappy cake show is still better to watch than most of the other crap that's on TV now, IMO. icon_smile.gif

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:35pm
post #30 of 89

I too was underwhelmed! It seemed so staged and Buddy was clearly not comfortable with the hosting role. I hate the drama on CakeBoss (especially Mary) and I couldn't believe what I was watching. I expected more based on all they hype and promos, but it was just that...hype.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%