Tlc's The Next Great Baker

Lounge By mykidsarekillingme Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 5:17pm by cownsj

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:19pm
post #31 of 89

I hope if Buddy comes on and reads these comments- he will take them back to the producers! The fans comments are what count, and I am sure the ratings will reflect that. Buddy are you here? We would love to hear from you.

kita04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kita04 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:40pm
post #32 of 89

I would love to see a show on amatuer bakers. People that love to bake and decorate and with a little guidence can actually become "The next great baker" I'd love to win $50K, but I'm not moving from my state to Buddy's to work for him. Buddy and his sister's attitudes are water off a ducks back icon_smile.gif it's just who they are. I will continue to watch the show- I like Buddy and the whole gang at the bakery.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #33 of 89

I think the original concept of the show was a good one, but maybe the producers changed it for more "drama"?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #34 of 89

Ohhhhh so, this is a new show??? sorry, I don't watch much tv icon_smile.gif

I think Buddy and the sister are so unprofessional and rude...I don't care how bad a cake is there's always a way to say it without being nasty. Buddy acts like a real clown and the sister is a real 'beatch' ---the only one decent is that other guy--don't know his name but he reminds me of a teddy bear icon_biggrin.gif

I will not watch that show again thumbsdown.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

I've got to be honest with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 contestants on the show I was VERY underwhelmed with the skill level the "10 best bakers in America". I feel most of them were lacking talent..and there are many designers on here that blow most of them away!!! Very disappointingicon_sad.gif

Ditto!!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:28pm
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

With the exception of Fabulous Cakes, TLC is the Jerry Springer knock off of FN when it comes to cake shows and competitions.

I love Fabulous Cakes. I love that they stick to just showcasing the 'cakes' and the talented artists. I also love that they share the cost of cakes.

Exactly! It is a first class show!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:41pm
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Ohhhhh so, this is a new show??? sorry, I don't watch much tv icon_smile.gif

I think Buddy and the sister are so unprofessional and rude...I don't care how bad a cake is there's always a way to say it without being nasty. Buddy acts like a real clown and the sister is a real 'beatch' ---the only one decent is that other guy--don't know his name but he reminds me of a teddy bear icon_biggrin.gif

I will not watch that show again thumbsdown.gif

Are you speaking of Mauro? He is the big guy with a balding head. He does look like a nice guy!!!

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:21am
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequeen

I also applied to be on the show but only made it to the second round of casting. I really think it would be a better show if it focused more on amateur decorators. I don't get the point of professionals being on the show. Why would they want to work with Buddy if they already have a business. Seems more like a big advertisement to me.

I'll give the show one more shot but I don't expect to keep watching. But maybe I'm just being a little spiteful icon_smile.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth! I thought the show was going to give amateurs a shot and that it was going to be more of a learning show. Still not sure why someone with their own bakery would give that up to work for Buddy. But maybe I'm just being spiteful as I only made it to the 2nd round as well icon_wink.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:27am
post #39 of 89

I think it would have been the decent, respectful thing to do if they notified all the amateurs that applied that they decided to go a different way and not let all the people who applied find out from the promo commercials that everyone on it is a professional.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:09am
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:

. Now after hearing that all the contestants are professional bakers kind of pisses me off, and made me realize that it was again the unscrupulous underhanded nonexistant ethics of TLC/Discovery that cast and developed this major fiasco #2 of a show (their first fiasco being ).

Actually, I think this is really more an issue with the production company and casting agency than TLC itself.

based on my experience, I disagree. it is both, but very much TLC. (JMO)

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:33am
post #41 of 89

@KITA04: I couldn't agree more!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:55am
post #42 of 89

I hate to say it but, I have seen many "non professionals) in cc who are way better then all of those on this show. Good grief.....what a joke!

madgeowens Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:00am
post #43 of 89

One more thing.....I love all cake shows. owever, I went to take the trash out during this show hahahaha....hoping it would make it get over faster......love fabulous cakes that followed though icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:37am
post #44 of 89

I haven't seen this yet, but I have it DVR'ed. Now I may just clear the space for my daughter's Hannah Montana reruns! She has about 80 of them on there, and I think they are cute! We will watch then together, so it is good snuggle time while she is still so sweet to me!

BTW, I LOVE fabulous cakes! It is just so real, even though i could never get that much for a cake. I noticed that the 3rd bakery, the hotel guy with the sugar birds, didn't share how much that display of cake cost! Wowee! I bet it was $12,000 or more! Any guesses? Anybody know?

Also, I was happy to hear them pronounce quinceanera or whatever. I am going to watch it again and practice saying it, lol. We have a big Hispanic community, and they don't mess around! Those cakes and dresses and parties are over the top! I'd love to make 1/6 of what they charged for that cake! My husband was at the computer and heard the price tag and he said he though they were selling a used car! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #45 of 89

Hmm. I apparently have a pretty low threshold for enjoying cake tv shows. But I don't watch/record Duff or Buddy's shows any more.

And I hate the food fight on this new show--just makes me wrinkle up my neck and squiggle my head. yyhhrugh

The one thing that irritated me was Greggy can't figure out that his icing is gonna melt if he puts it on warm broken cake one day and then pulls that multi-tiered well done cake out his boo the next. It is difficult to operate in a new facility--I don't know.

How you gonna follow people like that?

But I mean it can't be all amateurs either because no offense they can't meet the time deadlines. Which I never auditioned or applied and I'm not in on any of that. But can't you see Suzy Homemaker--she'd be bug eyed and fixated on watching the icing flow slowly out the back of her icing bag down her arm while the timer goes off. Not pretty tv either. I don't know.

fuchica2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuchica2007 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

But I mean it can't be all amateurs either because no offense they can't meet the time deadlines. Which I never auditioned or applied and I'm not in on any of that. But can't you see Suzy Homemaker--she'd be bug eyed and fixated on watching the icing flow slowly out the back of her icing bag down her arm while the timer goes off. Not pretty tv either. I don't know.

I have to disagree... I think plenty of amateurs could get a decent cake done in the amount of time they were given... none of the cake i've done have taken over 9 hours, and while they are not perfect, I would think most are better than some of the stuff we saw on this show.

I wish they would have had a different method of doing the competition, instead of just copying top chef, which is my favorite cooking show. I love cake boss, but I'm not sure about this new show... we'll see I guess

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 4:47pm
post #47 of 89

Speed is not in the newbies bag of tricks.

I strongly disagree- a hand painted four tier fondanted cake with bows--nuh ugh. They'd still be looking for someone to tell them which side of the fondant smoother to use.

Please don't take this comment to your heart. It's a very valid in general comment. Your exception however is noted.

Check out these forums--there's tons of threads about how long it took and etc. Add in the unfamiliar surroundings, the nine other kids in the playground, gotta share equipment, the cameras...ugh uh.

My opinion.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 5:35pm
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

Quote:

With the exception of Fabulous Cakes, TLC is the Jerry Springer knock off of FN when it comes to cake shows and competitions.

I love Fabulous Cakes. I love that they stick to just showcasing the 'cakes' and the talented artists. I also love that they share the cost of cakes.

I agree, I love Fabulous Cakes! The cake with the sugar art on it was awesome! I also love that they share the cost of the cakes, they are bringing reality into the cake shows.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #49 of 89

I just finished watching my recordings of Tuesday's Fabulous Cakes (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!--DYING to know the price of the Bellagio wedding display and cakes) and the new Buddy show. I enjoyed Cake Boss, but "The Next Great Baker" is a sad, sad follow-up to a very successful show: Season one averaged 2.3 million viewers while season two averaged 1.8 million viewers. IMO, it was popular with non-decorators as well as accomplished or learning cakers. The Next Great Baker is scheduled to run for 8 shows; I turned off my recording about 1/2 way thru and cancelled any future recordings.

TLC had to change the name because of the July 2010 injunction by Masters Software forbidding TLC from calling its show "Cake Boss". Since 2006 they have operated the domain name cakeboss.com, and in 2007, sold a bakery management program called CakeBoss. There was also the very public case against Remy for sexual assault charge back in August. I felt so sorry for Buddy's sister and family. How awful if it's true, let alone in front of millions of people.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:39pm
post #50 of 89

Wow, I didn't know about the lawsuit, or the sexual assault! But then, I watch cake shows and Hannah Montana (with the daughter, of course thumbs_up.gif ) I listen to talk radio, but they only cover local stuff, and big news.

I, too, am dying to know the cost of that Bellagio display. I know I will never get a cake order 1/8 of that price though!

madgeowens Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:00am
post #51 of 89

I Don't think it wise to repeat terrible slanderous rumors. And this new show, while terrible, is a spin off for cake boss....cake boss will return with its new season.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:49am
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

The concept, at least the way they advertised it on Craigslist was that each week Buddy was going to teach a new technique and then it was up to the amateurs to show the can catch on and master new techniques quickly.

madgeowens Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:54am
post #53 of 89

I am a "amateur" and I think I could have done better then all of them.......just saying lol

fuchica2007 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I am a "amateur" and I think I could have done better then all of them.......just saying lol

Thank you!! Finally someone that agrees with me lol. 6 hours to just decorate a cake is alot of time... especially since they dont have to make their own fondant, I mean come on, some of the cakes they produced were just sad

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchica2007

Quote:

Thank you!! Finally someone that agrees with me lol. 6 hours to just decorate a cake is alot of time... especially since they dont have to make their own fondant, I mean come on, some of the cakes they produced were just sad

They also have sheeters to use. Do you know how much faster I could cover a cake if i had a sheeter instead of having to roll my fondant out by hand?

fuchica2007 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #56 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

They also have sheeters to use. Do you know how much faster I could cover a cake if i had a sheeter instead of having to roll my fondant out by hand?

You are so right!! I forgot about that... i think the most painstaking tasks are having to make fondant and roll it out by hand. You think these people made all these mistakes on purpose just for the show... that would be sad, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially with TLC. I watched LA Ink and everything on that show was fake

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm
post #57 of 89

Oh no, really! I love LA Ink! icon_cry.gif

fuchica2007 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:37pm
post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Oh no, really! I love LA Ink! icon_cry.gif

me too! but one day kat tweeted that she's glad her fans know not to believe all the drama they see on the show. I think TLC scripts them, even though they are supposed to be reality... which is pretty dumb, the tattoos are awesome and would be enough to make me want to keep watching. Just like these cake shows, the fake/unneccesaary drama is not what makes me want to watch the show.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

1st I have to admit that I'm not a fan of "Buddy" or his show. When I first heard about this upcoming show I was thrilled BECAUSE it stated that it was going to feature amauters. I thought great!!!, something for the general public to watch and see that what we do is no easy task. Then I watch the show and they all have some kind of background, and the 1 guy with the ugliest cake (apparently his a pastry chef icon_eek.gif) said his cake was suppose to be a statue??? icon_confused.gif Well needless to say I was disappointed. SSSOOOOOO here's what I did icon_twisted.gif, I went on the website and left a nice.....yes nice comment that if "Buddy" wanted to see what an amatuer can do (better then him even) maybe he should check out CAKECENTRAL and see WHAT an amatuer can really do!!! NOT his so called contestants! (that was nice? right?)

haha love it! It gave me a boost of confidence as well. I am not the greatest but I am learning and I could do better. Wish we could piitcha show for amatuers I would definitely love to do it!

You could be on to something here!!!

I agree 100% thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #60 of 89
Quote:

I Don't think it wise to repeat terrible slanderous rumors. And this new show, while terrible, is a spin off for .... will return with its new season.

What rumors? Everything she said was true, just google it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%