Next Great Baker? Really

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by playingwithsugar

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:41pm
post #181 of 289

Thank you Karen, that really means a lot! I like the Cake I'm making tonight icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #182 of 289

Well, Brian, we would all like to know if you're done hurting yourself in this series, or can we expect more bloodshed? If you're going to carve something toward you, then you have to hold the tip of the blade in the other hand for stability. Glad to see the electronics worked this time.

Poor Dana - he could have melted the shortening before adding it to the batter. It's got such a low melting point that the warmth would not have harmed the batter, and it would have blended right in. I've already forgotten the butter in a recipe, and that's what I did. Couldn't tell the difference between that one or the other tier of the same flavor, which was made the right way.

Goodbye, Greggie! Your Christmas Tree still rocks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:56am
post #183 of 289

you rocked it tonight brian!!! congrats!!!

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:59am
post #184 of 289

I get up at 3:55 am to go to work but had to stay up to watch the show. I cannot believe Corina is still on the show. Brian you did a great job! I enjoy the show and my girls ages 13 and 10 watch it over and over.
Looks like next week after all the work on the cakes they drop them from a roof!!! What's up with that? Maybe to see how well they are stacked?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:54pm
post #185 of 289

I really liked cake - very cute and the texture on the moon icon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gif !!! I am putting that technique in the back of my brain. (hope it doesn't get lost!!!) I noticed Buddy was much nicer to Greggy when he asked him to leave. That was nice!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:22pm
post #186 of 289

Yeah...Brian finally stepped up to the plate....Poor Dana...they brutilized his chocolate cake....Corina didn't seem to be such a B#*%$ tonight!Greggy...well his time was up..and those glasses..who can see out of specs that are three sizes too big for your face!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:41pm
post #187 of 289

I am really curious to know what kind of recipe Dana used that the shortening could have been forgotten. In every scratch recipe I make it is such a major component that it would have been apparent right from the beginning.

And he really should have made a new batter. I wonder what he was thinking about not doing that.

Brian, beautiful job on the cake. You are definitely turning into the the guy who hurts himself the most! But hey, s*** happens.

And yes, it was nice to see Buddy nice to Greggy. This shows me that everything else is just show or being a tough guy to the other tough guys. I have other thoughts on this part, but it isn't worth discussion. So I'll just keep it to myself.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #188 of 289

Last nights episode was great. And as soon as I saw Brian with that knife cutting towards himself I knew he would be hunting the first aid kit.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #189 of 289

It's so hard to do your thing in a new environment. Glory just adding in people to watch you is nervey nerve nerves. Add in a tv camera??? I'd probably be squirting myself in the face with the wrong end of the piping bag!

Great stuff, Brian!!!! Way to go!!! Awesome moon and the extreme things worked yay!!!!!

Wow fifty big ones! The tension and drive must be absolutely crazy.

I was really gutted for Greggy--he is such an artist! But rkt take a while to set up. He must have fondanted too quickly.

Now guys--see Megan's bow??? THAT's where you knead in cornstarch first(if it's provided) Megan tried to make a thin skinny bow a la minute. If you just add a bunch of cornstarch you can get it to stand up right now. Right out of the bucket, ain't too easy but then you over steam it? Oh no! She melted hers.

Dana--I would have started that cake batter over. Free flowing shortening in an already made batter? With 50 big ones at stake--ugh uh no way. I mean apparently he forgot some other stuff too. Good thing he got another chance.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #190 of 289

I am with a lot of the other CC'ers that Brian you are the reason I keep watching. Just your attitude and effort towards things is great.

I was so happy last night when your special effects finally worked. YaY!!!!! It must of been rough when they didn't before.

Oh, and I was extremely happy when Pam left.

Greggy, well what can we say he has talent, I just don't think that buddy's ideas are the right way for him, I think he did get the short end of the stick. after all whats his face was just as much to blame, he said he could stack balls like that.

I honestly do not know if I could do what these bakers are doing. I tried making a cake out of my kitchen once and it was a disaster. Using things that I don't normally have and not having my own tools was crazy. Congrats def.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #191 of 289

I too am very glad your special effects worked. But Brian, OMG, that moon was out of this world (pun intended). The design, texture, everything was fantastic.

And Brian, come on, if you keep brutalizing yourself, there won't be anything left of you if you are the winner...... icon_lol.gif btw, how is your hand doing?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:51am
post #192 of 289

I'm joining this thread a little late, but I have 2 questions:

1) Someone mentioned on an earlier page that there's been trouble with Remy at Buddy's bakery. What's that about? I must've missed something!

and,

2) Didn't anyone else find it unfair that the contestants were forced to cook an Italian dinner? After all, it's called The Next Great Baker, not The Next Great Chef. I don't eat tomatoes, so I'd have been reaaaaalllly mad if I'd been a contestant!!!

cownsj Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:50am
post #193 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I'm joining this thread a little late, but I have 2 questions:

1) Someone mentioned on an earlier page that there's been trouble with Remy at Buddy's bakery. What's that about? I must've missed something!

and,

2) Didn't anyone else find it unfair that the contestants were forced to cook an Italian dinner? After all, it's called The Next Great Baker, not The Next Great Chef. I don't eat tomatoes, so I'd have been reaaaaalllly mad if I'd been a contestant!!!

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ssf/2010/12/cake_boss_brother-in-law_remy.html

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:51am
post #194 of 289

J- google the Remy thing--very sad--as much as I know about it it's innocent until proven guilty but apparently somebody thinks there's a ton of proof somewhere.

Yes that Italian dinner thing was strange. We usually eat out after a delivery or order a pizza or something when I finish a cake. Nobody wants to cook anything least of all me. Producing an Italian dinner has nothing to do with cake makin' in my book.

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:58am
post #195 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I honestly didn't think it was all that strange. I had once given thought to doing something similar, were I ever to have my own shop, inspired by Duff's brainstorming sessions. I thought it would be nice to also have a breakfast or lunch during those sessions.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:25am
post #196 of 289

Dana's dishes looked really good!!! The guys had some good food and that great cake!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:40am
post #197 of 289

Oh, Good Lord . . . I thought it was some kind of goofy trouble at the bakery between Remy and Buddy or something. I had no idea. I'm literally feeling sick to my stomach.

Crustymuffin Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:56pm
post #198 of 289

Im done hurting my self icon_biggrin.gif

ljslight Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:26pm
post #199 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustymuffin

Good, because it looks painful!! Good luck, I hope you make it to the end!!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:00pm
post #200 of 289
Quote:

It's about time!!! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for coming on here & talking to us all about your adventure.

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #201 of 289
Quote:

LOL! There you are! We've been waiting for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Crustymuffin Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm
post #202 of 289

Sorry I have been hammered prepping for the Austin Wedding Show!

Im really not that accident prone but when you go 20 some odd day with very little sleep, you do things you know are not safe. I want to win even if I loose a finger or burn my hand, as long as it does not end up in the cake.

You notice I now have to wear blue gloves for the rest of the show. The Clear ones showed off too much of an unpleasant hand for a food show. I had to cut the finger tips off so I could feel what I was doing. It made it harder to do any sort of fine work.

Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 5:34pm
post #203 of 289

OK Brian - I cant wait to see what adventure you have in store for us tonight! icon_biggrin.gif

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:32pm
post #204 of 289

Ok, so let's talk about last nights episode.

I would like to start with, way to go Brian, so happy you made it trou again.

Second, was any one else appauled at how Megan and corina treated Joe? I am sorry I understand that joes talents are a bait laming but honestly, I feel that Megan and corina should of gone home last night for how rude and inhuman they were to Joe. Also Megan shouldn't be putting down some one elses calla lilies when heres were also horrible.

Next let's discuss the first challenge. All the string and lattice work. Was buddy blind? Or was I the only one who noticed that jays drop lines were not even.with some of them they were really off. I understand that lattice work and lines are difficult but for him saying he does it all the time..if he does it all the time those lines should be perfect.

Brian your challenge cake was excellent for a first attempt. Keep the good stuff coming.

I am done ranting now, sorry folks.

ljslight Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:46pm
post #205 of 289

Second, was any one else appauled at how Megan and corina treated Joe? I am sorry I understand that joes talents are a bait laming but honestly, I feel that Megan and corina should of gone home last night for how rude and inhuman they were to Joe. Also Megan shouldn't be putting down some one doses calla lilies when heres were also horrible.

THANK YOU!!! I thought the same thing!!! Joe told them the support would not work and they ingnored him! I am not a professional but my cake could have looked better than the girls cake. I was shcked that Buddy didn't send them both home. I really like Megan but was disapointed in her last night. Corina on the other hand was acting like herself!

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:52pm
post #206 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionsofprisms

Ok, so let's talk about last nights episode.

I would like to start with, way to go Brian, so happy you made it trou again.

Second, was any one else appauled at how Megan and corina treated Joe? I am sorry I understand that joes talents are a bait laming but honestly, I feel that Megan and corina should of gone home last night for how rude and inhuman they were to Joe. Also Megan shouldn't be putting down some one doses calla lilies when heres were also horrible.

Next let's discuss the first challenge. All the string and lattice work. Was buddy blind? Or was I the only one who noticed that jays drop lines were not even.with some of them they were really off.

Brian your challenge cake was excellent for a first attempt. Keep the good stuff coming.

Yes, I agree with your thoughts on Corina and Megan. Even on televison, you can see in the eyes of the women that they were in a coup against Joe. Instead of taking 5 minutes to teach him how to do the flower edges cleanly, they chose to hang him. No team spirit at all. And that just tells you that there's no honor amongst cake decorators. I wouldn't trust those women with a two-ton statue. When Megan said that she and Corina did the callas on their second cake, the judges should have asked Joe if they let him participate the second time. He would have said No, and then the judges could have questioned why not. When they said his flowers didn't look good, the judges could have reminded them that their callas looked like they spent too much time in the florist's refrigerator. The first cake those two did looked very sloppy and amateur. And both their first and second designs were boring.

Did you see the bulges on the women's cake? Jay and team's cake was clearly the better of the two.

While Jay's droplines may not have been very even, his cake was still the best, as it had a bigger variety of piping techniques on it.

Brian, about your challenge cake - Everything old becomes new again. It's only a matter of time before people will start wanting the opulence of piped cakes again, so start practicing, and you will be able to provide what your customer wants. Go on eBay and get the Wilton encyclopedias. Everything you need to know about old-school techniques is in there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:53pm
post #207 of 289

Brian, for a first attempt at piping, way to go! I think Buddy did a good job judging the challenge, he took into consideration the vast difference in experience, so a pat on the back for that! I sure hope piping doesn't make a come back, as pretty as it is - as I get older, my carpal tunnel does too! LOL

The guys cakes, were just lovely, both times and no bulging! White chocolate champagne, sounds yummy!!! To the girls: Shame on you for treating Joe like that!! I agree, 5 minutes to help him with the flowers, would have gone a very long way! I understand that money changes people, and when you are competing - you may get a little crazy, but still shame on you! IMO, Corina should have gone home, but she got lucky. Megan at least baked a great cake that everyone loved.

icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:07pm
post #208 of 289

I think both girls should be ashamed of themselves...Joe was trying but they were treating him like a Butthead...If Megan doesn't watch it and stop taking tips from Corina in the B%#&$* dept then she will be next to go home and I think Buddy kinda eluded to that.The guys cake was excellent....Better episode..not so fake.

cownsj Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:04pm
post #209 of 289

I agree with what everyone is saying here. But something else keeps coming into my head. On the very first challenge that Joe won, he got immunity. When they did their celebration cakes everyone told Buddy to ignore the immunity and send Joe home anyway. Buddy said, "I'm a man of my word", and his immunity stood. Well, you said at the beginning of this challenge that "TWO" would go home. So where was your word? I really get the feeling each week Buddy knows ahead of time who he wants to send home next. I'm sorry, you said you were sending two home, so do it. A part of these challenges is supposed to show teamwork, well, everyone saw clear as can be the girls had no intention of working with Joe. So, they decide they don't like Mauro, they can ignore him on a project? I don't think so.

Joe, I'd love to had the chance to see you do your pastries. I'm sorry but that experience I don't think could ever have won you this contest when it's decorating. But you've behaved with honor and for that I applaud you.

Crustymuffin Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 12:00am
post #210 of 289

I hear what you are all saying. But these shows are so edited. I have to say that both Megan and Corina were very tolerant of the situation and it was much worse than the editing showed at least in my opinion.

They dint show that I help the girls take their cake apart and re-dowel it. It was a mess. It is frustrating because I am not getting credit for some really good things. Oh well, nothing I can do now.

I really did enjoy piping. I had done it before but just was not comfortable with it. No one else did 8" drop lines on their cake. I also finished 10-12 minutes before the others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%