Next Great Baker? Really

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by playingwithsugar

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:46pm
post #31 of 289

I enjoyed Top Chef: Just Desserts. I didn't expect I would, but I was more caught up each week. There was some truely talented people on that show. And I think Top Chef is very careful to protect their reputation and make sure they had a top level of talent.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #32 of 289

@cownsj I love Top Chef! they are very careful to protect their rep and make sure they get GOOD talent.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:54pm
post #33 of 289

Darn...I missed it. I am going to have to make sure I tune in next week.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #34 of 289

After reading all this, shouldn't we change the name of the thread to

"Next Great Baker? Not Really"?

I just got off the phone with a cake friend of mine, who said his sister was one of the judges. I said it before when Leigh was named a judge on Ultimate Cake Off - front of the house people have no business judging cakes.

Nothing personal, I'm sure they are very nice people. But before they judge other people's work, they should be seen busting their butts with a spatula in one hand and a piping bag in the other.

And as far as this show being a knock-off of Top Chef - in my opinion,
all other cooking/baking competition shows are, in one way or another, cheap imitations or otherwise not nearly as good as the TC shows. The FN ones really suck, now that Chef Gerhard is off the floor. Why put an MC on there that doesn't know their butt from their elbow about cake/pastry? Good looks don't always make a person interesting.

Theresa icon_smile.gif [/b]

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm
post #35 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I'm watching it right now. I saw the very end earlier. I'm not overly impressed.

I will say that I heard ONE thing that made me feel sooooooooooooooo good:

When Buddy told them that they had 7 (or was it 8 hrs.?) to bake & decorate a celebration cake, he finished by commenting that IT WOULD NORMALLY TAKE HIM 11 HOURS TO DO THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

I feel so vindicated. I thought I was crazy taking so long to do cakes from start to finish--baking to final decor.

I'm like Sally Fields at the Oscars, except I'm saying, "It's not just me! It's not just me!"

icon_lol.gif Rae

Me too, I always wondered it it was just me!

ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:21pm
post #36 of 289

I watched it out of curiosity also but didn't like it at all. I fell asleep watching it. Don't know if I will continue to watch it. I would rather watch Cupcake wars any day.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:22pm
post #37 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Quote:

I'm watching it right now. I saw the very end earlier. I'm not overly impressed.

I will say that I heard ONE thing that made me feel sooooooooooooooo good:

When Buddy told them that they had 7 (or was it 8 hrs.?) to bake & decorate a celebration cake, he finished by commenting that IT WOULD NORMALLY TAKE HIM 11 HOURS TO DO THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

I feel so vindicated. I thought I was crazy taking so long to do cakes from start to finish--baking to final decor.

I'm like Sally Fields at the Oscars, except I'm saying, "It's not just me! It's not just me!"

icon_lol.gif Rae

Me too, I always wondered it it was just me!

Lol!! Ditto. While watching it last night, I smiled because now the public can see how hard it really can be to make a decent fondant cake. Perfection takes time.

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:23pm
post #38 of 289
Quote:

...Buddy told them that they had 7 (or was it 8 hrs.?) to bake & decorate a celebration cake, he finished by commenting that IT WOULD NORMALLY TAKE HIM 11 HOURS TO DO THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gif Rae

So, should we start calling you Norma Rae? Sorry, I just had to inject a little humor in here. It was getting tense.

If someone with 20+ years experience takes 11 hours to knock out a cake, then gives someone alleged to be an amateur 7-8 hours to do similar, it is an intentional effort to have them put forth cakes that look like crap. And from what I've read, that's exactly what they got.

I looked on the website, but could not find any information on a repeat airing. If anyone has info on it, please let me know. I'd like to see it, to come to my own conclusion. Not that I don't trust the judgements here, I just want to see it for myself.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:12pm
post #39 of 289

I anxiously waited for the premiere, but was very disappointed. I agree with the comments here too. Dana...what was he thinking. His first dessert was a banana split....it's a baking challenge after all! Mary was extremely rude during the judging. I don't think she understands the concept of constructive criticism.

Buddy was definitely out of his element. He was trying way too hard to be a "Keegan" type host. The show's format was very close to Top Chef Just Desserts, which was a much better program.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 7:57pm
post #40 of 289

Top Chef Desserts gave 1 1/2 hours to make a wedding cake and most of them had really nice ones and some didn't, so to have 9 hours, (3 hours at night and 6 the next day) some of them could have done better. IMO I don't know - it just seemed to be a crude version.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm
post #41 of 289

I was soooo disapointed with the show! I was really looking forward to it too. I found most of the cakes to be horrible! I definately think some of the show is staged. How can it not be? The burnt cakes? Trying to ice/stack a cake right out of the oven. If it has the same producers as Cake Boss I guess we might even expect the whole show to be fake. Now I could see anyone liking the prize money, but what cake decorator, even if you don't have your own bakery would want to work for buddy? Would he pay you an hourly wage and then take credit for all your hard work. I could see if you won, and lived close to his shop, and didn't already have a job, working for him for a year, learning some skills, getting on tv and then leaving to start up your own bakery/business with your new fame.

I'm sad I missed fabulous cakes, it was on too late and i needed sleep. I really should have went to bed before great baker.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:18am
post #42 of 289

And I just have to say.....whats with Greggy? Greggy? what os he five? ok had to get that off my chest.....lol
seriously, he did not stick that cake in the freezer and chill it he just put frosting on a warm cake...then cried.....boohoo....
puuuuulease.................and the chick almost burned the joint down lol......and the guy with the yellow ...what the heck was it???? he should have left....no saving him.....the girls chicken beat that all over.....but really the girl with the dog on the cake and the haunted house one were good....the rest........terrible.....even I could do better........stupid show hahaha

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 12:19am
post #43 of 289

what a weird show, none of the cakes last night looked up to professional standards to be on tv except greggy's & the dog one was passable- and they all own bakeries? really?
I wonder if the general viewing audience sees these cakes as we see them- disasters!- or do they think they're good? I just can't wrap my brain around this show...

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #44 of 289

Has anyone checked cakewrecks yet, to see if anyone posted one of those cakes there?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #45 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesmart

Mary was extremely rude during the judging. I don't think she understands the concept of constructive criticism......

Mary is a rude person, period.

I saw only about 1/2 of the show and stopped because, like red flashing lights on the highway, it draws in your curiosity. I was expecting a wreck and it didn't disappoint. It was actually uncomfortable to watch..no one (except Mary) even seemed remotely comfortable in their own skin. The contestants seemed lost --

thumbsdown.gif I stopped watching Cake Boss a long time ago. I detest yelling, arguing and insults flying.

Karen421 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:30am
post #46 of 289

I checked facebook and the comments were not flattering there either.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:42am
post #47 of 289

I'm wondering if they told brian to make a bad cake because there is nothing bad on his website. They are absolutely amazing!

http://www.crazycakes.com/gallery.html

mbark Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:50am
post #48 of 289

yeah, something is not quite right here. I'm sure something must be faked but can't quite figure it out. I honestly think they told these bakers to make something shoddy

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #49 of 289

I tuned in late, so I missed the first half of the show. I too, found this show hard to watch. Does Mary bake cakes? I felt that she was rude and I didn't like the way Buddy talked to the woman who was eliminated. Then, when they put her in the back of the "NOT" truck- that was it for me.

I have a sense of humor and enjoy playful banter between contestants but this was juvenile, mean- spirited behavior and I don't feel that it's worth watching.

IMO-It's easy for these reality show celebrities to talk down to people and humiliate them. It takes skill and a true passion to inspire others. I know, it doesn't make good TV.

I don't watch many of the cake shows anymore. I would love to see a show that featured techniques and instruction. These shows seem to emphasize drama or go off on tangent story lines. Disappointing. icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:13am
post #50 of 289

Here's what is bothering me -

It was supposed to be an amateur competition. I'm reading in this thread that, instead, the contestants are professionals.

Can you imagine what critiques like the ones I'm reading about here are going to do to their business?

I can see it in my mind's eye - some bride-to-be is watching the show, listening to what the judges have to say about the cake done by the same person she hired to do her wedding cake, and screaming over the phone to her mother -

"Oh, Shi_! I ordered my wedding cake there!"

Their businesses will plummet like last year's stock market.

For those who also missed it, here are the next airing times for the first episode (abstracted from the TLC website):

Dec 09, 6:00 pm

Dec 10, 7:00 pm

Dec 11, 2:00 am

Dec 12, 1:00 pm

Dec 13, 8:00 pm

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #51 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytecake

I would love to see a show that featured techniques and instruction. These shows seem to emphasize drama or go off on tangent story lines. Disappointing. icon_sad.gif

The only show I know of that concentrates on teaching techniques is

Bake, Decorate, Celebrate which is a part of the PBS family, and if I'm not mistaken, sponsored or created by Wilton. Here's the website

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mbark Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #52 of 289

Kayte, I totally agree about Mary & also that truck send-off.. so cheesy!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:41am
post #53 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

Kayte, I totally agree about Mary & also that truck send-off.. so cheesy!

I forgot about that stupid truck send-off.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:47am
post #54 of 289

Mary is rude. No question there. She has no tact or finess. These cakes were pathetic, with the exception of a couple. Fabulous cakes is fabulous, I loved that!!!!

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:56am
post #55 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytecake

I would love to see a show that featured techniques and instruction. These shows seem to emphasize drama or go off on tangent story lines. Disappointing. icon_sad.gif

The only show I know of that concentrates on teaching techniques is

Bake, Decorate, Celebrate which is a part of the PBS family, and if I'm not mistaken, sponsored or created by Wilton. Here's the website

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thank You!! icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to check the local listings.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:51am
post #56 of 289

I just couldn't believe how horrible it was. Buddy and the family are down right rude, and the truck send off...really? No way would I even allow that.

As for the cakes...VERY bad and in that amount of time, I was shocked with some of the cakes I have seen on the contestants website.

One thing I thought of after I watched a bit was that this kind of show is what makes people think they can do it and better than professionals. Sheesh.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #57 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

And I just have to say.....whats with Greggy? Greggy? what os he five? ok had to get that off my chest.....lol
seriously, he did not stick that cake in the freezer and chill it he just put frosting on a warm cake...then cried.....boohoo....
puuuuulease.................

ROFL my behind off!!!!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm
post #58 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

I'm wondering if they told brian to make a bad cake because there is nothing bad on his website. They are absolutely amazing!

http://www.crazycakes.com/gallery.html

And here again - if it was amateurs - why is he on the show? Amateurs dont charge that much for a cake, well, at least I know I dont.

icon_mad.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #59 of 289

I liked the show. Somebody shoot me.

Karen421 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 6:14pm
post #60 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I liked the show. Somebody shoot me.

You poor thing, but I guess someone had to! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif