Next Great Baker? Really

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by playingwithsugar

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:20pm
post #151 of 289

It is TV. Sometimes food was there but we didn't know about it, but make no mistake once the clock started we could not stop it. We didn't sleep more than 3-5 hrs on average each night. We were high on adrenaline for 3 weeks only to crash and sleep for 2 days.
Can you imagine 8 Food Network Challenges back to back? Like it or not there has never been a cake show like this. Judge all you want, it was 8 times harder than anything you have seen. At least on the Challenges you get to plan ahead, pick your team and even do a test run of your design prior to the going to the show.

Just wait until next week.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 12:01am
post #152 of 289

Ok - you got me! Now - I am hooked, no matter what I think of Buddy's style of emceeing icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:29am
post #153 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Ok - you got me! Now - I am hooked, no matter what I think of Buddy's style of emceeing icon_smile.gif

Me too!

But that tree cake rocked the house!
Far and away the nicest tree cake I've ever seen.
Brilliant.

Can't wait for more.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:59am
post #154 of 289

Brian, that episode drove me NUTS!

No one in their right mind ices a cake and THEN tries to move it to the decorative board WITHOUT a board under the cake or without freezing the cake solid first.

It's not the first time I've seen things happen on Cake Boss that defy common logic icon_eek.gif

I LOVED the tree cake and I resented Buddy's need to chirp on and on about how a holiday cake somehow just HAD to be red & green--geez, he needs open his mind a bit & get over stuff like that.

As for the other cake, I was mortified that anyone would try to stack a cake of that height & weight using flimsy corrugated cardboard. icon_eek.gif As for the design, it was much too close to a cake that Buddy made for a FN Challenge and it's bad business to ever, ever set up a direct comparison to a judge's work.... icon_wink.gif

Rae

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:53am
post #155 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

No one in their right mind ices a cake and THEN tries to move it to the decorative board WITHOUT a board under the cake or without freezing the cake solid first.

We did. Thousands of 'em per day. The trick is to give the turntable one spin while your spatula is under the cake... turn and lift at the same time and transfer to the board. We iced all 8" cakes this way on bare turntables. Our 6" and 7" cakes were iced without turntables on just your fingertips and then placed on boards. Although I wouldn't attempt icing a 12" without its own board on a turntable, it works for 10" cakes too--not frozen solid.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 7:22am
post #156 of 289

Yes, I can see that on a "production line" operation--like Buddy runs--and obviously he can do it, so it can be done and no doubt that it's a handly skill to have.

I think when you take more than the 3-5 mins. he does, the bond to the turntable would make a quick, clean scrape difficult, especially when nervous and working in a very warm room with soft cake & soft icing.

For those of us who are slow workers, it's just too risky and not worth saving the 20 cents on an extra cardboard icon_lol.gif

Rae

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:19pm
post #157 of 289

Works better with a clean spatula too. His icing covered spatula ripped that cake up.

Plus doing it this way eliminates having to clean the board off.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:44pm
post #158 of 289

Never mind. I reread the last two posts. I get it now. It is to save the cost of the plain cake board underneath. Got it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:27am
post #159 of 289

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the show. I absolutely love Buddy - I think you have to be from a family like his to understand his temperament. He is who he is and I adore him. He reminds me of my dear father-in-law who came across as kind of harsh but he had a heart of gold and would've done anything for his family. Some of the comments about him are frankly as judgmental and mean-spirited as you're accusing him of being.

Sure, some of the show is cheesy. It's TV. I don't have a clue about how the casting requirements changed and I don't really care. Let's face it. Most of us would never have been picked for the show no matter what. Get over it.

And for those of you who keep thinking you're going to get a cake show that teaches technique - FORGET ABOUT IT. It's not going to happen because it's not entertaining. This isn't public television. It's a for-profit venture intended to entertain a broad audience. If you want excruciatingly detailed instructions about how to decorate, watch YouTube videos, not TV.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 7:19am
post #160 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Never mind. I reread the last two posts. I get it now. It is to save the cost of the plain cake board underneath. Got it.

Nevermind? (Did you ask a question that went unanswered somewhere?)

I believe K8memphis is correct... we did it to prevent messy boards and to save time cleaning them up. I doubt that it was to save the .003 cents per board, but then again--we got them so cheap we could have used two boards per cake!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #161 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustymuffin

Nerves and stress got the best of me. I learned a lot from that experience.

Cool fact, we hadn't eaten in like 10-11 hrs when we were serving the food. I was about to tackle a guest and take their plate. We didn't get to eat any of it. It looked so good!

Awesome that you learned something - that is very important!!

Not eat for how long???? No way~~~~ I would have hidden under the table a snatched a plate!!! LOL

The tree cake was awesome!!!! Yall worked well together.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #162 of 289

ok, watching the espisode now, the new one, and i really think they are being a little pissy to pam! i mean i know i am not there but seems that way from what they are showing. she is obviously not the strongest in the bunch, but really!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #163 of 289

and brian, to get burned like that and just wash it off and keep going....now thats a man!!! LOL no really, i mean it!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #164 of 289

This is the first show where I actually feel sorry for the contestants to have to have gone through this.

And I am a big Buddy fan. I really am having a struggle here, because that fandom is being challenged with this show.

I hope the experience was far better tha what is being depicted on the show.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:42am
post #165 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

i really think they are being a little pissy to pam!

I agree! I just don't see where all the resentment towards her is coming from. They used her as a scapegoat. No one else on that team did any better AND she was the only one who didn't want the circus theme, which was trashed by the "client". The show had a good episode last week but this week not so much. The TNT cake was certainly better than the circus cake but still not that great.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:18am
post #166 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

i really think they are being a little pissy to pam!

...AND she was the only one who didn't want the circus theme, which was trashed by the "client". The show had a good episode last week but this week not so much. The TNT cake was certainly better than the circus cake but still not that great.

I couldn't help but grin when Pam smiled at the critique the judges made about the theme of the cake her team did. It could have been edited out, but according to the other teammates, she didn't consult with them before making the muscle man, which did not fit into the theme of the dark circus.

Brian, I know you're out there - Did you get a chance to analyze what went wrong with the special fx? And how long did it take your hand to heal? I'm surprised that they have any Water Gel on the set. It works great on burns. I gave myself a 3rd degree with a cake pan once. It took the pain away within just a couple of minutes of application. And no, I am not getting paid for that testimonial.LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Crustymuffin Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:35pm
post #167 of 289

I wish they gave me burn gel. I got a simple 1st aid burn cream. Here are some photos of the hand. To be honest the hand was minor in compaird to my neck and back pain caused by the suddned stop in the truck. They tried to get me to go to the hospital but I refused untill the cometition was over. As I was standing in the elimination room getting blasted about being a Dud, on my birthday, after burning my hand and getting knocked out in the dilivery, it was all I could do to not go off on them. I was Pissed off. All I kept telling myself is do niot give them any more amo!

Crustymuffin Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:46pm
post #168 of 289
Karen421 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #169 of 289

icon_eek.gif OH MY GOSH icon_eek.gif = Brian that's awful! I am very surprised they didn't have medics and insist you go to the hospital for treatment!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:02pm
post #170 of 289

omg thats terrible!!!!

Elcee Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #171 of 289
Quote:

The images are not showing up. here is a link to one.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=10150158332318569&set=a.192014463568.153625.172885063568

Wow, you plowed on and worked through all of that and ...um...well...you know.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Crustymuffin Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:52pm
post #172 of 289

I'm not one to give up, the delivery was much worse. If watch it back all of my interviews where I'm in a gray shirt, I'm am so stoned on pain killers and muscle relaxers. I could barely keep my eyes open. What ever I'm alive.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #173 of 289
Quote:

I'm not one to give up, the delivery was much worse. If watch it back all of my interviews where I'm in a gray shirt, I'm am so stoned on pain killers and muscle relaxers. I could barely keep my eyes open. What ever I'm alive.

ohh man, I love hearing the back story, makes the show even more interesting!

Sorry that you got so banged up, hope you're feeling better now.

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:38am
post #174 of 289

I want to know why they stop so suddenly. Was it a traffic thing or were they testing the cakes to see if they would hold up. If that's the case, then what were they thinking?

Elcee Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:45am
post #175 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I want to know why they stop so suddenly. Was it a traffic thing or were they testing the cakes to see if they would hold up. If that's the case, then what were they thinking?

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Was it done on purpose to throw some more drama into the mix?

Crustymuffin Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:31am
post #176 of 289

I have no idea. No windows in the back!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 5:34am
post #177 of 289

I thought the TNT cake was fantastic. The other team completely missed the boat on that theme.

Brian, that hand looks SO bad. Man, that had to hurt.

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:08pm
post #178 of 289
Quote:

I have no idea. No windows in the back!

I know this is a silly thought, but I thought maybe they would have said something to all of you like, - so sorry a car pulled out in front of us, or Wow hope everyone is ok,we had to stop quick. They have all ridden back there and know what it's like. Makes them look a little irresponsible! icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:08pm
post #179 of 289

Your hand looks just awful!!! I am surprised, as others, that they didnt have meds on hand in case something went wrong. Your alive and struggled through, so that is a great thing.

Karen421 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:22pm
post #180 of 289

So I have to say, I started out not liking this show, but now I find myself getting anxious to see the next episode. That's because of you Brian, I am rooting for you!!! I hope the commercials are wrong for tonight!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%