Does Anybody Else Come Close To A Breakdown When Decorating?

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 3:24pm by cownsj

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:58am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

breakdown? As in curling up on the corner, shaking and crying, covered with powdered sugar and icing, muttering "its just a cake its just a cake its just a cake" .......?

You mean this isn't the way it's supposed to be???? icon_lol.gif

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #32 of 39

@indydebi: I couldn't have said it better myself.
However, I must admit...I have had small meltdowns, because of the imperfections, but when your all done and you see the persons face that the cake is for...well it makes it ALL WORTHWHILE!!
After all, it is why we do what we do, right? But I must admit, by Friday (usually start cakes on Wednesday for Saturday deliveries) my kids tell me, "Mom, no more cake making". Of course, they say that after they are done munching on the leftover cake and frosting. icon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:18am
post #33 of 39

I think we're all the same, at different levels. I almost cried when I finished my bakugan cake, then it split in half!!! Had only a few spare hours to fix it... and I swear I almost chucked the whole thing!!!! But, I reminded myself this happens and we can only learn from these experiences... so I got back to work and worked out a second construction plan and it was great!! Although I had to strip it down to the cake, at least I knew exactly what NOT to do, so the second time didn't take as long. My husband always admires my cakes, but is also a great critic. He reminds me that I'm too much of a perfectionist and that I should step back and take the time to appreciate the work I put into my cakes. icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 8:44am
post #34 of 39

You'll love Sharons DVD's, these will really improve your skills. Yep I am always surprised when I'm finished because the whole time I'm saying CRAP, thats not right. And I've never had one that another two hours would've had made it a great cake. It'll get better.

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #35 of 39

I have never officially broken down but came pretty close on my DHs cake in May. I never think a cake comes out exactly as it is in my head. I try to tell myself I have really high standards and keep reaching for the sky. Analness is a virtue! icon_wink.gif

geminigirl132 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geminigirl132 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #36 of 39

I had one this morning. I made acke for my hubby's birthday and last night it looked great. I got up this morning and the tinted piping gel had bleed EVERYWHERE, I cried, was so upset. I;m new to cake decorating and have never worked with colored piping gel, I guess I must have done something wrong, not sure what. But either way it was upsetting.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:38am
post #37 of 39

I only do fondant cakes for family. I have been worrying about my daughter's sweet sixteen cake for two weeks. And I will keep worrying until I make it next week.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:36am
post #38 of 39

Yup. Got REAL CRANKY doing my second ever gingerbread house. It was the first time I accepted money for ingredients and also the first time I had a "deadline". It was for a teacher at the kids' elementary school (that NOBODY likes), she was so excited about my 1st house that I donated to the after school program, that she asked if she could "pay" me to make one for her holiday table. I said, I don't sell them but if you'll pay the ingredients, I'll make one by the 7th. (I was up at 3 am and got green RI all over myself, and the green icing bag exploded and almost ruined the entire thing and...... and.......)

By delivery time at the school, I was pretty agitated. Then, the cake decorating miracle happened: the teacher that NOBODY likes, sat and visited with me. Turns out her 27 yr old son is in a Sober Living House, and she is suffering from depression and I was able to convince her to see a psychiatrist (I have depression as well). Without the GB house, we never would have talked at all...

Cakes can be miracles, even if we get pretty worked up while making them.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:24pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Yup. Got REAL CRANKY doing my second ever gingerbread house. It was the first time I accepted money for ingredients and also the first time I had a "deadline". It was for a teacher at the kids' elementary school (that NOBODY likes), she was so excited about my 1st house that I donated to the after school program, that she asked if she could "pay" me to make one for her holiday table. I said, I don't sell them but if you'll pay the ingredients, I'll make one by the 7th. (I was up at 3 am and got green RI all over myself, and the green icing bag exploded and almost ruined the entire thing and...... and.......)

By delivery time at the school, I was pretty agitated. Then, the cake decorating miracle happened: the teacher that NOBODY likes, sat and visited with me. Turns out her 27 yr old son is in a Sober Living House, and she is suffering from depression and I was able to convince her to see a psychiatrist (I have depression as well). Without the GB house, we never would have talked at all...

Cakes can be miracles, even if we get pretty worked up while making them.

Your story made me smile icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%