Kerry Vincent On Food Network

Lounge By Savybee Updated 6 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm by tonedna

Savybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 17

DO you think Kerry vincent is harsh on people when on the show food network challenge?
I want to see I know some people say yes and others say no.

Thanks,
Savybee

16 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 17

No, I don't think she's harsh. I think she's honest and doesn't mince words--a quality that few people appreciate in women.

We're expected to be very, very concerned about what others think of us and how we make others feel. We're expected to swallow our words and feelings so as to avoid making others uncomfortable. We're expected to hold back if we think, or know, that our judgement will make someone question themselves.......even if that questioning might lead to some improvement on their part. All of that is tolerated in men, and by men, much more.

I've met her in person. She's very giving and encouraging, but, if she's in a position as a judge, she won't waste her time gilding the lily. She'll tell it like it is, expect you to take it like an adult, fix the problem, and move on. Save the whining for the full moon--she has no time for it---and I love that about her.

Rae

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 17

I agree that overall, I think she's just telling it like she sees it. Instead of worrying about people's feelings, etc. jsut just tells it like it is.

Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 17

Oh. I agree but sometimes i think she's a little harsh, but overall i agree. Any one out there disagree?

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 17

Kerry is interested in helping people get better at what they do. It's constructive criticism without sugar-coating. People that compete on that show are expected to perform at a high level- it's a 10K prize! I have never seen her behave in any way other than professional- even when someone is making an effort to "butt heads" with her. Her criticism is only of the work- not the person. We all should be able to take criticism of our work as what it is and not a personal attack. I once showed her a picture of what I thought was my best work and she said something along the lines of "That's a good start, keep at it!". It was good to hear at the time because all of my friends and family were comparing me to the Cake Boss, which I am NOT! lol We all need to keep things in perspective and keep striving to be better- which means we need to hear something other than how great we are sometimes, right? icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #6 of 17

She is a real sweet lady. I met her in person and she is nothing like she is portrait in TV. But if you ask her for an opinion, she will give an honest one. The problem is that some people are not ready to receive honest opinions and they get hurt with the critique. When in reality we should take it as a way to make our work better.

Edna icon_smile.gif

midwestmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmommy Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 17

Shes very talented and honest....but when is she going to give up the hairband? Is that her signature?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:25am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmommy

Shes very talented and honest....but when is she going to give up the hairband? Is that her signature?

When she cut her hair years ago, she decided that she need to be able to dress up her very short haircut, especially when she had to go to fancy functions. Her solution was the headbands.

I hear that she has them made by a milliner in England who has a Royal Warrant from the Queen.

Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 17

I agree - she is no nonsense about her judging, and is totally honest. I respect her so much for that, she is straight to the point, but she is NEVER disrespectful. I was so excited to meet her, she was very kind and generous, as was her husband.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:29am
post #10 of 17

I've also met her and she is fabulous and gracious.

I agree with about everything that's been posted so far. She takes this craft very seriously; sets very high standards for herself and therefore expects others to be just as interested in putting out nothing but their best work; she CARES about cake decorating and works hard to promote the skill and talent needed to do a GREAT job.

A "that's a good start" from Kerry Vincent is worth 100 "That's the best cake ever!" comments from anyone else.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:56am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

When she cut her hair years ago, she decided that she need to be able to dress up her very short haircut, especially when she had to go to fancy functions. Her solution was the headbands.

To add to that, she said she showed up to judge in the studio without wearing a headband one day, the producer asked if she had one in her purse to which she replied "Yes", and they told her to put it on and never show up without one on again!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 17

The only thing that I find hard with her judging, is that she tends to forget these people are making 6 foot tall cakes in 8 HOURS. Sometimes I think she talks to the decorators like they don't know what they are doing,instead of taking into to consideration that everything would be perfect if there wasn't a time limit. I mean there is only so much a person can do.

Savybee Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

The only thing that I find hard with her judging, is that she tends to forget these people are making 6 foot tall cakes in 8 HOURS. Sometimes I think she talks to the decorators like they don't know what they are doing,instead of taking into to consideration that everything would be perfect if there wasn't a time limit. I mean there is only so much a person can do.

Yes, but she can do that. She is so good , she could probaly do that with a prefect cake! Im a nit right??

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:42am
post #14 of 17

Every cake has a time limit, doesn't it? You design the cake, decide how long it will take, and plan accordingly. I don't have cable so I don't get to see too many cake shows, but if they design the cake once they get there it seems to me they need to design it so it can be comfortably finished in 8 hours.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:49am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

Yeah, but these aren't rank amateurs. These are the best of the best in the industry. I would expect them to be able to exceed and excel at doing something us "common folk" couldn't do.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 17

It's really really hard to "take your show on the road" and work in a foreign arena. The tv cameras might not help much either. And the audiences.

Honesty can really sting that's just the nature of the beast--once again factor in the grueling battle and the cameras etc. And don't forget the editing where things can get spliced together to make a great sound bite that actually happened ten minutes apart or something.

To me the reason Kerry is so successful is because she is fair, treating each contestant no better or worse that the next and she is true to her own brilliant aesthetic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went for a 'competition' and the two contestants ahead of me filing in the room were hugged hello and rah rah-ed by one of the 'producers' of the show--I didn't get a hug--a few minutes later I got a kick in the butt because I was not allowed to start with the others and no one offered any make up time or catch your breath time. Phhffft

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's what I'm talking about. Kerry comes off as fair with straight shooting winning over graciousness although it's certainly a combination of both.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

I hear that she has them made by a milliner in England who has a Royal Warrant from the Queen.

Rae

In addition, when she went to work for the Food Channel she came one day to the se with the headband and they told her that the headband had
to be on every taping. So yes, they made the headband her signature.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%