Some Basic Questions :o)

Decorating By CuriousCakesbyDana Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 10:27pm by sillywabbitz

CuriousCakesbyDana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuriousCakesbyDana Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:20am
post #1 of 5

I have a few basic questions and I'd love to hear everyones opinion!

Which cake pans are the best?

After baking your cake, how long do you let it cool in the pan?

Why are my cake boards always about an inch too big, causing me to have to trim each one when Im using it under a layer in a stacked cake? Does this happen to everyone?

I have a convection option on my oven, but I haven't used it while baking a cake for fear of the unknown icon_surprised.gif) Would I need to lower the temp? Reduce the time, obviously, but how much less time approximatly?

What's your favorite brand of fondant to use?

Ok, that's all I can think of for now..I'll be back. lol. You ladies are so inspirational and helpful!!!

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:55am
post #2 of 5

I like fat daddios. Magic line are very good too, but not a readily available locally for me. Wilton will do, but i'm slowly weeding those out, but the price is right especially with a coupon at Micheals.

I don't time it but turn out the cake with in the first 10 minutes or so.

Why are my cake boards always about an inch too big, causing me to have to trim each one when Im using it under a layer in a stacked cake? Does this happen to everyone?

this is due to shrinkage when baking the cake. I cut my own boards and do to the size of the pan or slightly smaller, then ice to the edge of the board.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:59am
post #3 of 5

Oh i forgot the other two questions sorry its early here

As far as the convection oven, by all means give it a shot you might not want to go back to a standard oven. I bake with the fan on low at between 300-325 the higher temp for smaller times the lower for the larger cakes so the edges don't end up so dark.

And my favorite brand of fondant.

Well i really like the fondx. its easy to use but has to be mail ordered. Satin ice is available locally but has gotten pricey. Usually i resort to making my own i use the recipe from the cake bible.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:51am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysdana

I have a few basic questions and I'd love to hear everyones opinion!

Not wilton.

Mine are leveled and flipped out of the pan within 2 minutes of coming out of the oven. I dont' want it to continue to bake in the hot pan.

Agree with the response above. I frequently need to trim the boards.

I have a convection option on my oven, but I haven't used it while baking a cake for fear of the unknown icon_surprised.gif) Would I need to lower the temp? Reduce the time, obviously, but how much less time approximatly?
Yes, lower the temp. I had to have a pan of water in one corner of mine (it was a commercial oven) so the cakes would bake right. Took a few attempts to get the 'formula' right. Reduce the time? I can't say that I did because logically if they are baking at a LOWER temp then it will take LONGER to bake .... rule of thumb; not etched in stone. The advantage of a convection is that you can bake multiple items at one time, thus reducing your OVERALL baking time (can bake 4 cakes in the same hour as opposed to one cake per hour for 4 hours.) The time will differ but I can't tell you how much .... I haven't used a timer in years. I bake "until it's done".

What's your favorite brand of fondant to use?
Not a fondant officianado, but I haven't met one I didn't like so far.

Ok, that's all I can think of for now..I'll be back. lol. You ladies are so inspirational and helpful!!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 5

I cool my cakes in pan for 10 minutes on a timer. Then I flip them onto cooling racks. I like that my boards are a hair bigger than my cakes because it gives me a great guide for how thick to make my frosting. I love my magic line pans. I have some Wilton and the only ones that really suck are the 9 inch because the sides are beveled. If you have 2 pans the same size they should not nest. The should sit on top of each other.

Since you're new I also recommend homemade cake release instead of greasing and flouting your pans. Mix equal parts flour, vegetable oil and shortening. Apply to pans using a pastry brush. This works great. The only time I've had issues with the cake release is if the pan is hot when I apply the release. The pan should be room temp when you prep it. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%