Help - Problems With Icing Sugar Marks On Icing

Decorating By MandyBattersby Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 11:47am by MandyBattersby

MandyBattersby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBattersby Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone

I've just started making cakes and have made a few for friends. Today I have been making a 3D dinosaur cake for a friends son's birthday tomorrow.

My problem is that the icing sugar has marked the green icing I have used to cover the cake. This is the first time I have had this problem and not sure if there is anything I can do to make it make it dissappear??

I still have some work to do on the cake - ie butter icing grass etc and possibly some dinosaur eggs.

Any ideas would be very much appreicated.

Picture of cake attached

10 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 11

Cant see the pic, But you can try, using a soft brush to brush off some of the excess, IF all else fails . . Mist the cake with some vodka and leave it to dry, that should take care of the marks . .

MandyBattersby Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the tips - unfortunately brushing it won't work - I've tried rubbing it but that isn't working.

I like the idea of misting it with vodka but it's for a 7 year old's birthday so don't know if that is appropriate - would misting it with water or anything non-alcoholic work??

I've just uploaded picture but not sure if it is showing yet

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 11

Hello MB...
Misting it with water could make it crack after the water has dried - depending on what type of fondant you have used.

Some people steam their cakes - i know this makes them shine - not sure if it would help make the IS vanish tho...
Someone should come along soon and answer that question.

Another way which might help is to get a piece of the same colour fondant -roll it into a ball - and very gently rub over the areas marked with the IS.
Making sure that you either rub in the same direction - or in gentle circles...
Stopping every now and then and e rolling the ball of fondant you are using.
If it gets a bit tacky - start with another piece.

It looks gret by the way - well done indeed

Bluehue

MandyBattersby Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks Bluehue

I will give it a go now with a small ball of the icing

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyBattersby

Thanks Bluehue

I will give it a go now with a small ball of the icing

As the previous poster said - using a very fine mist of vodka could do the job...
The ammount of vodka used i doubt would interfer with the taste....
It would be just a veryyyy fine mist...

Do hope you get it off - let us know - icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 11

Also, the vodka evaporates on the outside of a cake very quickly. You aren't actually giving the children alcohol.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 11

light rub down with shortening and wipe off excess. I do that on evry cake i make.

MandyBattersby Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:38am
post #9 of 11

Hi Everyone

I have finished the cake - had a few problems got some of the icing cracked where I joined the icing on the head to the body - think is mainly because I didn't have a proper cake board for this cake so made one out of hard cardboard but don't think it was strong enough and has cracked when I moved the cake.

I'm not completely happy with the cake - I have tried to do some decoration on it to give it some depth but didn't come out right - think I need an airbrush to do this.

As I said still learning and had no training so pretty pleased with the end result of my first 3D cake and have learned alot of things which I would do differently next time.

Let me know what you think - just uploaded a picture

Mandy

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:30am
post #10 of 11

AWESOME!

I happen to LOVE dinosaurs (Earth Science major here) and I think he tuned out fantastic!

For someone with no training, you did a super job! My birthday is in February...can you fly to the states and make me one?

icon_smile.gif

MandyBattersby Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:47am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Annie

I'm becoming addicted to you-tube and searching the internet for inspriation and just find something I like then finding my way of doing it. In france they don't really have cakes like this so can't really go on a course either It is only my 5th or 6th cake using sugarpaste. The others have all been round and one with a teddybear mould so pretty happy.

I would happily come to America to make your cake but you would have to pay for the flights LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%