Mob Didn't Like The Cake

Business By cai0311 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 12:39am by Annabakescakes

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #31 of 44

It was a rude e-mail, indeed.

Sure, you can argue back and think of some sly remark to respond back to her, but do you know what really urks people off? The 3 C's.

Cool. Calm. Collected.
My response would be, "I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of your daughter's wedding by providing the cake. I am thrilled that the kids loved it!"

What is she going to say back? Nothing. Because she has no response.

What's the use of replying back with a comeback, getting upset all over again, going back and forth with the MOB and then ruining your day because of someone else's stupidity.

It's not worth it. icon_wink.gif

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #32 of 44

I also have the bride provide me the ribbon if they have a particular color shade. Over time, I have a "stash" of ribbons and show the various shades I have at the consultation. I careated a ribbon sample board with various size widths that we talk about. Also, I explain no wires and no organza ribbon. In there estimate, I indicate how many yards they need and when to have it to me. Once I explain, that they know their specific colors better than I do it would be more cost effective for them to get it. I don't want to get into getting what I think is the correct color and might have to return because it's the wrong shade.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

My response would be, "I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of your daughter's wedding by providing the cake. I am thrilled that the kids loved it!"

:

Ooh, that's good...

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:09pm
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

:

Ooh, that's good...

yeah that's pretty awesome. don't play into her little game at all thumbs_up.gif

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #35 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

:

Ooh, that's good...

Perfect!

except I would add "Have a nice life"

mbark Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #36 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

:

Ooh, that's good...

yeah that's pretty awesome. don't play into her little game at all thumbs_up.gif

mbark Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:33pm
post #37 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

:

Ooh, that's good...

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:08pm
post #38 of 44

When I have to get wired ribbon, I pull the wire out. Takes about 5 minutes. But that's beside the point. The woman was either being rude or doesn't know how to give a compliment.
As far as the cake, I can't see anything really complaint-worthy. The scrolls left a little to be desired, but again, really no big deal.
I love the idea of both acknowledging her email and not playing her game.

"Thanks! I hope the day was wonderful for you and you're getting some well-deserved R&R!"

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:08pm
post #39 of 44

I just got off the phone with the woman that cut the cake this past Saturday. I told her who I was (she introduced herself when I was setting up the cake) and asked how everything went in regards to the cake. She said everything was fine. They served the top 2 tiers and part of the third and fourth. There were cookies and candies also, so the left over cake was boxed up and sent home with people.

I asked if she was aware of any "comments" made of any kind. She said she heard only positive things especially about the red velvet cake.

I explained the reason for my questions (email from MOB stating she was not happy and comments were made, but no details). The woman from the venue had no clue what the MOB was talking about. She said "I cannot think of a single thing anyone complained about or could have complained about."

She then described what happened at the wedding and how people acted. I think the MOB was troubled by everything because it was no where near a "traditional" ceramony or reception.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #40 of 44

Personally I would let it go and be glad it's done. I have a customer that acts very much like this and the more I deal with her the weirder she gets. It sounds like her daughter's tastes and hers were miles apart and she wasn't very pleased with anything that happened.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:57am
post #41 of 44

After reading all the OP's comments I'm pretty sure that MOB is just upset about the whole wedding in general and has no one else to take it out on. She's trying to pick a fight with anyone to try and deal with her disappointment in that it was not a "typical" wedding.

I would either not reply at all or send her Babarooskie's response.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:02am
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

I never had any intention on emailing her back. I don't want to open that door.

I am not fishing for compliments, but no one has said anything about the cake. Is it bad? You can be honest, maybe I am looking at it through "rose colored glasses".

Your sides look nice and straight, and the whole cake looks nice and straight. No "squishing" between layers, looks like it was supported very well. BUT.......

......Well, I think the buttercream could be a lot smoother, kind of ragged around the edges also. The ribbon looks baggy and wavy. And the scrolls are downright.....awkward? I would have used a pattern press or practiced a lot and looked at other scrolls before doing that cake....I would have been very disappointed.

JMHO
[/i]

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 11:39pm
post #43 of 44

"Your sides look nice and straight, and the whole cake looks nice and straight. No "squishing" between layers, looks like it was supported very well. BUT.......

......Well, I think the buttercream could be a lot smoother, kind of ragged around the edges also. The ribbon looks baggy and wavy. And the scrolls are downright.....awkward? I would have used a pattern press or practiced a lot and looked at other scrolls before doing that cake....I would have been very disappointed.

JMHO
[/i][/quote]
I don't post often but I have to say that there is nothing "humble" about your response to the OP's post. Yes, she asked for a critique, BUT did you really have to make the BUT 4 times larger to emphasize your point? If you think the OP needs to improve her skills, fine, she did ask for opinions. It's just MY humble opinion that there are appropriate ways to give constructive criticism and your way is not one of them.

Sorry.
JMHO

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 12:39am
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

"Your sides look nice and straight, and the whole cake looks nice and straight. No "squishing" between layers, looks like it was supported very well. BUT.......

JMHO
[/i]

I don't post often but I have to say that there is nothing "humble" about your response to the OP's post. Yes, she asked for a critique, BUT did you really have to make the BUT 4 times larger to emphasize your point? If you think the OP needs to improve her skills, fine, she did ask for opinions. It's just MY humble opinion that there are appropriate ways to give constructive criticism and your way is not one of them.

Sorry.
JMHO[/quote]

The "but" was actually supposed to be smaller than the rest of the text. I didn't preview. Yeah, it does look bad, and this is the first time I saw it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%