How Do I Incorporate All This???

Decorating By bethasd Updated 27 Nov 2010 , 5:47am by TiffySue

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 18

I have a client (friend) who gave me a HUGE list of things to incorporate into a cake. How can I creatively get all of these onto a cake that only needs to serve 20? I thought maybe a shopping bag with some of these items represented but it's not coming together for me. Here's the list...

Seahorse
Motorboat
Bud Light Lime
Sandals Resort
Horses
Books
Sitting by the pool
Country & popular music
Cosmopolitans
Cooking school
Shopping
2 Dogs
3 Kids

17 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 18

1. is she giving you the list because she wants ALL of the items included, or is she giving you a list of the persons interests so you can pick one or two or more to use in your design.

2. Whenever someone gives me more than three "themes" to include, I tell them you can't really get a cohesive design with that many themes. So either hone it down to two or three, or the design of the cake will just be that it's a cake with a whole bunch of unrelated things on it. They usually pick the former.

oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 18

Wow...that is a lot going on. What if you just did a 1/2 sheet cake and made it look like a resort theme. Like horses in the sand by the water (ocean), with a boat and seahorse floating in blue water. Then up by the resort, you could have a swimming pool with some drinks, books and shopping bags sitting by some lawn chairs and some dogs and kids playing by the pool.
As for the cooking school and music....I don't know. That's already alot.

I was asked to do a grooms cake that had so many different things going on and they wanted ALL of it to be on the cake....this was the only way I could make it all fit.

cakelady_nikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady_nikki Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 18

What about a scrapbook? you could make an open book and create many of those things as boarder, background, make some 3d popping out and some flat. You could even turn some into pictures on fondant and add them to the scrapbook.

bethasd Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 18

She didn't specify so it's difficult to pick what's really important. She said, "I was thinking just pictures of different things plastered on the cake." How on earth can I make that look good? Ugh!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 18

I definetly would not use them all. I would ask her to pick 3-4 of her favoite things for this person. hth

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 18

you could consider a sheet cake and make each theme a quilted box. if you include some solid colored borders that go with the themed squares and use a quilting roller I think this could look great.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 18

I think I count 15 items and you say cake for 20 - so maybe you make 20 cupcakes and put one of these items on each cupcake and make a couple of duplicates (???) - Good luck!!!!!

bethasd Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #9 of 18

I ran into my friend & another friend & they thought maybe we could incorporate Farmville too. She said she can't really peg her sister as only a couple things. She wants a cake to include all these inside jokes. Oh my!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:45am
post #10 of 18

And is she willing to pay for all this artistic endeavor, or is she expecting you do add this in for the same price? I think it's time to whittle down the ideas into her budget.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:03am
post #11 of 18

I'm with Icer101 on this one. Make her narrow it down to 3-4 things.

It's an eight inch round cake for heavens sake.
It will take you forever to make the items, and then it would cover the entire cake.

Good luck with that, right there!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 18

[quote="oakleygirl77"]Wow...that is a lot going on. What if you just did a 1/2 sheet cake and made it look like a resort theme. Like horses in the sand by the water (ocean), with a boat and seahorse floating in blue water. Then up by the resort, you could have a swimming pool with some drinks, books and shopping bags sitting by some lawn chairs and some dogs and kids playing by the pool.
As for the cooking school and music....I don't know. That's already alot.

IMHO, oakleygirl77 has a great idea,here! Maybe for the cooking school and music part, you could make "magazines" with "Cooking school" and "Music" as the name of the magazine. Just a suggestion. HTH!
In order to make it fit, you might can do a 13x9 to give yourself a little more room, but she would need to be willing to pay for the extra cake. See how she feels about that..... Otherwise, make her trim down to 3-4 items. Wow, you definitely have a challenge! GOOD LUCK!!!!

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

I think I count 15 items and you say cake for 20 - so maybe you make 20 cupcakes and put one of these items on each cupcake and make a couple of duplicates (???) - Good luck!!!!!

I think that is a great idea!

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 18

How about a monopoly board with different locations and the things that don't fit in with the locations can be player pieces!

bethasd Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I finally made this cake with lots of things "slapped on the sides." I call it an "everything" cake. Truthfully, these are my least favorite cakes but I ended up happy with how it turned out & my friend loved it. Trying to attach a photo but if it doesn't work, you can view it in my gallery. Thanks again!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #16 of 18

I had a customer order a cake for her boyfriend. She wanted all of the following on it:

Spiderman
dumb-bells
Leffe beer bottle
rock music CDs
a lawn mower
a drill
a play station control
and a crown with 'Princess Katie' - because that's his pet name for her.
Oh, and a big number 30.

icon_eek.gif

This is what I came up with:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1245819

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 18

Just saw your cake and i have to say it turned out great!!! I was a little leery and thought it would end up being messy and disjointed but you pulled it off great. wonderful cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:47am
post #18 of 18

MOST of those things make me think of Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville! icon_smile.gif If it were my cake I would go off of that, but I'm sure you will come up with something great!

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%