Why Can't I Figure This Out...? **standing Football**

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm by cheatize

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 9

I really really really (etc.) want to make a football standing on it's end.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__ijJYxTvAsE/S0aPf3yW5AI/AAAAAAAAAfE/HEUQDvSGYk8/s1600-h/football.cake.jpg

Like that one (not my photo, obviously).

I've tackled some pretty crazy structures, but i'm just not getting this..

I had thought pole with a round cake plate halfway up & making the top cone/half in cake & the bottom half in RKT... (Or, technically, I could put the plate closer to the bottom end so the cake portion is taller...)

anyone attempted this? (it will have to make a small trip, possibly with 'country' roads.. joy.)

8 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 9

How about two wonder molds stacked with a dowel all the way thru into the cake board? You could stack them semi frozen and carve it slightly to the correct shape. I am doing a football in a similar fashion this weekend with a mini doll mold. Good luck~!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 9

Really cool idea... Im interested to hear how to do it also!

mrsbriggs06 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 9

my only concern about that is that the ONE time i tried to do the same thing with the sports ball pan, everything was fine at home, but the entire bottom ended up splitting...
thankfully the birthday guy was awesome about it, but i was in tears!

i wonder if the fact that this would be fondant not buttercream would help it hold??
I just can't grasp the logistics of how the weight of even 1/2 that cake can be supported/balanced on the tip... lol!

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 9

What about doing the bottom half out of styrofoam or RKT and the top out of cake?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

I just can't grasp the logistics of how the weight of even 1/2 that cake can be supported/balanced on the tip... lol!

If that's what's scaring you, go back to the RKT idea....I'd do RKTs as the tip....maybe from the white stripe down. OR if that won't support it (b/c of traveling), how about a styrofoam "tip" as a base would. (hot glue the dowel rod into the strofoam). If you did either of these, would your cake still give you XX amount of servings needed?

Good luck & I can't wait to see what you decide & the finished cake!!

mrsbriggs06 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 9

yeah-- the servings will be fine.. i'm doing a joint birthday party, so as long as I have the correct number 'total', the 'each' doesn't really matter. the other cake is a unicorn icon_surprised.gif)

it's for a friend's little boy & niece.. and i did his cake last year, same theme-- football.. so this year, i want it to at least look different!

i think i will have to do styro (boo.) lol!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 9

You could PM the artist. But logically a cake like that would have to have some sort of Base or support. Cake just doesn't hold against gravity like that. So after looking at it I believe that maybe some styrofoam could have been used as the base along with flange and PVC pipes and the center pole to hold it all up.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 9

The Wonder Mold leaves a fairly big hole in the cake. I think it would wobble around a lot and the dowel in the middle would end up tearing through the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%