Infusing Cakes Very Impressive Results

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 10:44am by doramoreno62

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:02am
post #1 of 18

I have a spray bottle that I use to mist on cordials. It infuses the cake in amazing ways. Today I made a wedding cake that was misted with Frangelica (sp?) and filled with nutella mousse.

Misting the cake keeps it moist and adds a whole new demension. And misting uses less cordial that brushing the liquid on the cake.

Looking forward to trying Chambord and Grand Marnier etc.

17 replies
Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 18

This sounds very interesting. How do you make the sprays that you put on the cakes?

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 18

Wow, interesting. You mean you just spray a bit of flavouring onto the cake and then ice as normal? Is it just a very subtle hint of the mist flavour that comes through?

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 18

I just put the cordial/liquor in the spray bottle.

Same idea as brushing with syrup prior to frosting. Helps to keep the cake moist and adds a great flavor. Like chocolate cake with sprayed with kaluah. You don't use as much as you would if you brushed it on.

People love it!!

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 18

What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing. icon_smile.gif

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 18

Great idea. I usually brush on...and it does take a lot and I am always afraid I will make it too mushy!

I haven't used liquor, but I have used liquor flavored coffee creamers:
vanilla-spiced rum on pumpkin cake
Irish cream on chocolate

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

I just put the cordial/liquor in the spray bottle.

Same idea as brushing with syrup prior to frosting. Helps to keep the cake moist and adds a great flavor. Like chocolate cake with sprayed with kaluah. You don't use as much as you would if you brushed it on.

People love it!!

Sounds nice. Do you dilute it or is there no need since its only a fine mist going on top?
Was this your own little invention ? - good job!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

I have a spray bottle that I use to mist on cordials. It infuses the cake in amazing ways. Today I made a wedding cake that was misted with Frangelica (sp?) and filled with nutella mousse.

Misting the cake keeps it moist and adds a whole new demension. And misting uses less cordial that brushing the liquid on the cake.

Looking forward to trying Chambord and Grand Marnier etc.

nutella mousse?/ oooh sounds wickedly Delicious icon_smile.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:03am
post #9 of 18

I have a friend who is known for the amazing moistness and flavors of her cakes. Well, she recently let me in on her little secret... it's similar to your idea.

She fills a spray bottle with a flavored nectar and mists her cakes with it. She picks a flavor that goes well with the cake she's making. For example... if it's a chocolate cake with strawberry filling, she mists the cake with strawberry nectar.

Most grocery stores sell nectar in cans (like soda pop cans), and it comes in lots of yummy flavors. Kern is one brand and is found near the juices. Another brand is Jumex and it's found in the Latin food section.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet it's awesome! thumbs_up.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:09am
post #10 of 18

thats a good idea jjkarm. thanks for the tip for flavors. i dont usually coat my cakes with other then buttercream and fondants but i'm very interested in doing so nowicon_smile.gif alot of my cakes usually come out so moist (but not too moist that its bleh and soggy) that it just doesn't occur to me to do this icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:32am
post #11 of 18

would the liquor sprays be appropriate for kid's cakes too?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:40am
post #12 of 18

Any time I accidentally over bake I do this! Works great! My non-overbaked cakes are super moist already. icon_lol.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 18

ok maybe I am nieve, but I have never had to use this and maybe I should give it a try but firdt I need to figure out what you are talking about before I can try it! lol let me in on how it works and what are reasons your using it again I am a little confused ;(

Lori00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori00 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:27am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkarm

I have a friend who is known for the amazing moistness and flavors of her cakes. Well, she recently let me in on her little secret... it's similar to your idea.

She fills a spray bottle with a flavored nectar and mists her cakes with it. She picks a flavor that goes well with the cake she's making. For example... if it's a chocolate cake with strawberry filling, she mists the cake with strawberry nectar.

Most grocery stores sell nectar in cans (like soda pop cans), and it comes in lots of yummy flavors. Kern is one brand and is found near the juices. Another brand is Jumex and it's found in the Latin food section.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet it's awesome! thumbs_up.gif

Isn't nectar to thick for a spray bottles nozzel?

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:14am
post #15 of 18

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:38am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

would the liquor sprays be appropriate for kid's cakes too?

Kids are easy, chocolate, vanilla....the simpler the better. Throw a little Kaluha on it and the next thing you know....kids are crying "Mom, this cupcake tastes funny!" Just make separate ones for the grown ups.

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #17 of 18

Won't the cake get mouldy faster than it would otherwise? I have always wanted to do this. Please let me know what is the best way to use, say, pineapple extract? Do you mix it with boiled water and sugar (syrup) to use for infusing?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:44am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjaligg

Won't the cake get mouldy faster than it would otherwise? I have always wanted to do this. Please let me know what is the best way to use, say, pineapple extract? Do you mix it with boiled water and sugar (syrup) to use for infusing?

For pineapple I would just use sweetened pineapple juice, not extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%