Kind Of An Embarrassing Question

Decorating By bakencake Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm by Kitagrl

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 13

I have been baking cakes, for friends and neighbors, for about a year now. I have always used the crusting aka non refrigeration needed icing. I would like to switch to a Swiss butter cream or others that need refrigerating and then put fondant over it. how would you frost this if you are going to do the fondant the next day? do you leave the cake in the fridge till then? when torting the cake you are supposed to leave it over night or at least 5-8 hrs on the counter and then let it settle. do you do this with these types of icings?
thank you!!

12 replies
amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 13

Well I don't know if I have the answer...but no one else has answered so I will give it a shot.

I would ice the cake all up and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Take it out, let it warm up a bit, fondant cover it and then leave it out.

Personally I think things like icing its best if refrigerated all the time but its not going to kill anyone to have it out for a few hours. Its like dip at a party. It starts in the fridge but sits out for hours and everyone still eats it though its not super cold.

My only advice is to not put the fondant covered cake in the fridge. I have heard that all sorts of problems can occur. And just make sure when you go to cover the cake that its not too cold or it will sweat and make puddles...as previously posted in another thread.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 13

Yes you can fridge it overnight. It will be best to cover in fondant immediately out of the ridge so it is as firm as possible. Soooo amazing to work with!

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

No, you do not let it warm up. You cover immediately. All the super sharp (well mostly) cakes you see out there are done with meringue bcs and covering while very cold. Very thin fondant as well is key.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 13

And no, you can put any cake in the fridge. We put all of ours our walkins. Fondant, no fondant, everything. Keeps everything nice and firm and sturdy.

bakencake Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you!! I'm just curious about the icing used for filling. If I use the same icing inside my cake I know I can just put it in the fridge and it will firm up. Im worried that if i take it out and start decorating the filling will get soft and ooze out. I dont have a problem with working really fast and then putting back in fridge but what about when I'm finished with it and it will sit out for a while. wont the filling bulge out/ooze out?

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 13

There wouldn't be so many people who use it if that's the case. You learn as you work with it. Dam oozy fillings, always let your cake settle out of the fridge for a bit, and you'll get it.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 13

I use a dam on all fillings...IMBC, ganache, mousse, buttercream, and yes I put my cakes in the fridge...even with fondant. Just make sure if it has been in the fridge to let it sit without touching the fondant until it comes back to room temp because it might have condensation on it and it will be sticky until it warms up a bit. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

(Buddy (Cake Boss) puts all his cakes in the fridge when he's done, so I figure if it's good for him, it's good for me!) icon_lol.gif

bakencake Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you!

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 13

You really shouldn't put fondant covered cakes in the fridge - you're asking for trouble. Condensation from the fridge causes the fondant to sweat, leading to tiny beads of water on the fondant - if you've ever splashed water on a cake by accident you'll know these water spots are unrepairable on fondant. icon_cry.gif

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 13

I too, put my iced cakes in a walk in fridge, let firm up (sometimes overnight) then bring them out and cover while cool. Then I put back in fridge. Never had a problem at all.

Also, I dam everything with a thickened bead of icing before filling, never have gotten a bulge since.

Suzi

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 13

Tons of people put all of their fondant cakes in the fridge with no problems. You just need to know how to do it.

Condensation doesn't come from the fridge. It comes from...oh heck, I'll post it again...

"The moisture you see is coming from the humidity in the warm air outside of your fridge, condensing on your cold cake when you take it out. It is not moisture from the cake coming through the fondant, or from the air in the fridge.

Water takes different forms depending on its temperature, from steam/humidity at the warm end, liquid in the middle range to solid/ice at the cold end.

When the humidity (warm/gas) in the air in your room hits the cool of your cake, the temperature changes the gas to a liquid which accumulates on the cool cake surface.

So, the cure for cakes sweating when you take them out of the fridge is to prevent the humid air from getting to them. If the cake is in a sealed box, or covered in plastic wrap or bag, when you take it out, the humid/warm/gas cannot reach the cool surface of the cake. It will hit the outside of the cool box and condense there, leaving your cake perfectly dry. It will be safe as it comes to room temp."

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 13

I refrigerate every cake, all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%