Preparing Cake Right Out Of Oven..

Decorating By sholtzclaw Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 3:40am by jenscreativity

sholtzclaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sholtzclaw Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 11

I've been making cakes for a long time but I've recently been told that I could make my cakes more moist if I froze them directly out of the oven.. It this accurate information for cakes that will be covered with buttercream then homemade fondant... and do you refreeze them after you put on the crumb coat...I had only been freezing them after the crumbcoating...Please give me your opinions....Thanks bunches... thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #2 of 11

I freeze mine as soon as I can handle them out of the oven. It really does seem to make them more moist.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #3 of 11

Have to agree with Josh. I got this tip off of here at some point (seems like forever ago) and started doing it and have had no problems. But I will say this; for me, if the cake is over 12 inches I do let it cool about 10-15 minutes or else it will fall apart (or it has ever time I tried it under 10 minutes out of the oven). HTH

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #4 of 11

I think that wrapping them right out of the oven is what makes them retain moisture as then it doesn't evaporate while the cake cools. Freezing a cake will change the structure of a cake, making it more stable and moist. But it will do that no matter when you freeze it. I don't think it's necessary to do it right out of the oven. As I said, I think it's more helpful just to wrap it right out of the oven.

I take mine out of the oven and let them sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Then I flip them out onto plastic wrap and wrap them up right away, still hot. Then I let them cool to room temp before popping right into the freezer. I don't like to put hot things in the freezer as it will effect the already frozen stuff in there.

Joshua_Alan Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:32am
post #5 of 11

yeah, i always let mine rest for 15 minutes, wrap them tight and then freeze.

niragub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niragub Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 11

How long do you thaw the cakes before you begin to assemble?

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 11

This is the way I was taught by Collette Peters:
Make sure the bottom of the pan is lined in parchment paper and sprayed with Pam.
10 to 15 minutes after taking the cake out of the oven put plastic wrap on it. Keep it in the pan it was baked in.
Put into fridge until ready to crumb coat (or freezer if more than a day or two).

I know many people say not to put a cake in the fridge, but since I started doing it this way, all my cakes are very moist.

Joshua_Alan Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:50am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by niragub

How long do you thaw the cakes before you begin to assemble?

I generally will move the cake down to the fridge for an hour or two before I'm ready to work with it, unless I'm carving it. Then I'll carve it directly out of the freezer.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:12am
post #9 of 11

I learned to do this over 25 years ago when I worked in a bakery at the Jersey Shore: pun intended! (I really worked at the Jersey Shore, about 10 minutes from where they filmed that show)
We only baked a batch of cake batter once or twice a week, about 75 pounds of it. We'd plop those puppies in the freezer and use as needed.

I continue this practice today. I bake, cool 10 -15 minutes, invert, and remove pans, cool about another 5 minutes to allow steam to escape. Then I place in freezer.
I don't wrap them until they have cooled completely.
They are very easy to handle. Sometimes I have even torted before finally wrapping and freezing.
I take the cakes out and let them sit about 20 minutes to come up to room temperature for icing with buttercream.
I have read here on CC that if you wish to wrap in fondant, you can ice but then let set about 3 hours to allow for settling and then wrap in fondant.
It really saves time to have these on hand, and you can budget your time when it comes to baking several layers of a tiered wedding cake.
I hope this helps...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #10 of 11

Here's a link to the original post by Cakesdivine:
(There are many opinions and points of view given on this method.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610054-.html

HTH

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #11 of 11

awesome advices!! thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%