Red Velvet Is Grossing Me Out

Decorating By kger Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 5:20am by Evoir

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:46pm
post #31 of 52

Red velvet isn't a chocolate cake, it's a buttermilk cake. The people who posted about the cocoa causing the red color are right, but it shouldn't have a chocolate flavor to it at all. I have a suspicion that the red velvet that you get in a mix is actually a chocolate cake that has red food coloring added to it, which is why a lot of people seem to think it's a chocolate cake. I bake from scratch, so I don't know for sure, but that's what I suspect.

Good red velvet isn't greasy or oily, but all the recipes that I've found have a LOT of food coloring, which you can reduce by half and still get a red color. I did a couple of blog entries about red velvet cake because it's a weirdo, but if you make it right it does taste good. My son just asked what I was writing about, and I told him red velvet cake. He said "I'd like some red velvet cake" so not everyone hates it!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:56pm
post #32 of 52

I made the Cakeman Raven and it tasted ok. I mean, it baked beautifully and everything and was very moist and didn't taste bad by any means. Kind of bland tasting to me, but again, I'm pg and have been adding hot sauce to everything. Once I let my family have at it, I'm sure I'll get a few "wows".

As far as scratch recipes go, I'm pleased with it, but normally I want to lick the batter from the bowl and spatula and lately have to try very hard to restrain myself (because of the raw egg), but I had no problem dumping that blood red batter straight into the sink. Blech!

Oh, and first trimester baking is excruciating because there is no energy to even turn on the oven and the thought of cake makes me nauseated. Then when you have to handle horrid ingredients like buttermilk and red food coloring... omg. I had to step outside and take deep breaths to get the nausea to subside.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #33 of 52

I had the Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet cake from his bakery and it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten - funny, b/c I actually don't love Red Velvet - for some reason I get a bad stomachache EVERY time I eat it - like stomach pains - it happened with his to, but it may have been worth it!

Suzanne30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzanne30 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:21am
post #34 of 52

I have a family recipe for red velvet that contains the 1 oz bottle of liquid food coloring. It is not a chocolate cake even though it does have cocoa in it. My family loves it! I am doing one next weekend for my nephews birthday. If I do not make one at Christmas I might get locked out of my Mom's house!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:25am
post #35 of 52

Poor kger, I feel your pain...I can barely keep water down, and so far I'm actually losing weight this pregnancy....
So, anyway, just made a batch of the secret family recipe red velvet, and wanted to describe what great rv tastes like. It's slightly tangy, with a undertone of butterry richness and a hint of vanilla, and the flavor pops in your mouth. No chocolate. My recipe only calls for one tiny tablespoon of cocoa powder. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:31am
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

I had the Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet cake from his bakery and it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten - funny, b/c I actually don't love Red Velvet - for some reason I get a bad stomachache EVERY time I eat it - like stomach pains - it happened with his to, but it may have been worth it!

I don't know. After reading the article I posted above, I wouldn't eat anything he baked. thumbsdown.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:22am
post #37 of 52

That is one cake I make from "scratch" - but I never can eat it. All that red food coloring gives me a migrane. (literally) I also decrease the amount of coloring added, and it doesn't hurt the coloring at all.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:46am
post #38 of 52

I make RV cake and cupcakes and I use 1 teaspoon or less of Americolor Red. My recipe also only has 1 teaspoon of cocoa, which isn't even enough to taste IMO.
Please don't bite my head off but I have to say that anyone who has tasted my RV cake (scratch) thinks it is awesome and I also can't keep from eating the cake scraps. They have to go straight into the trash or I will just sit there in a trance, eating and eating until I reach into an empty bag.
My recipe was a bit oily so i cut the oil back and it did not alter the taste and it is still moist. I don't know why in the world it called for that much oil...
Anyways, I don't care who thought it up or any of that stuff, it's just a unique cake with it's own taste and color. I don't think it is supposed to taste like any other cake and it doesn't.
Ladies, congrats on your pregnancies, I hope the morning sickness goes away soon icon_wink.gif

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:07am
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:

I don't know. After reading the article I posted above, I wouldn't eat anything he baked. thumbsdown.gif

tapedshut.gif UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST READ IT - OMG, HOW GROSS! And I ATE IT! icon_cry.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #40 of 52

Sugarandstuff, I'm sorry but that made me really laugh. I am sorry you ate it though icon_sad.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:24am
post #41 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

Aww, come on...Who REALLY needs running water to run a bakery? Isn't that just a luxury item? icon_rolleyes.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:14pm
post #42 of 52

lol this is the one cupcake that myself and non of my staff will touch - even the staff member who is literally obsessed and has tried all out all 30 plus flavours!

I tried a tiny piece of the sponge to make sure it was ok when we tried the recipe for the first time and it was nice enough but it does gross me out - saying that my customers LOVE it, they complain when it isnt on and some come especially for it. We use the Rose Red Velvet receipe someone had posted a link to on here ages ago and it does work great but at the point the food colouring is added to the cocoa mixture it always looks like intestines and that is so offputting!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:45pm
post #43 of 52
Quote:

I'd never even heard of this Cakeman Raven person until I saw this story. Not so impressive.

http://ht.ly/2QS8S

I'm with ya' Leah. I think Red Velvet is just not good cake. It doesn't taste like anything to me.

Oh my gosh! I just read this article! This is so disgusting! How can you run a bakery without running water, with flies and evidence of mice and live mice!
Now that is gross!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #44 of 52

I personally just found out that I love RV. Probably because I don't really like chocolate cake and RV has just a hint of it. I use the Paula Deen recipe with one extra egg and 2 - 2 1/2 Tsp Wilton Red Gel food coloring. It's much cheaper than adding 2 bottles of the liquid food coloring. I wouldn't recommend using her frosting though. It was a liquid nightmare! It completely slid off the cake!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #45 of 52

Despite all the ugliness going on at Cakeman Raven's shop, I really love his RV recipe and so does everyone else that tries it. It comes out a beautiful red color and you don't taste the food coloring. I used to think RV was chocolate cake, too, until I really started checking out recipes. A couple of people have described the flavor as being buttermilk and I think that is a good description.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Poor kger, I feel your pain...I can barely keep water down, and so far I'm actually losing weight this pregnancy....
So, anyway, just made a batch of the secret family recipe red velvet, and wanted to describe what great rv tastes like. It's slightly tangy, with a undertone of butterry richness and a hint of vanilla, and the flavor pops in your mouth. No chocolate. My recipe only calls for one tiny tablespoon of cocoa powder. icon_smile.gif

Bskinne, thanks for the description of what RV is supposed to taste like (a very eloquent description if I may say so)
Being a Yankee *Chicagoan uprooted and moved to the ends of the Earth, aka Seattle* I had never tasted, nor had I even heard of, this Southern delicacy. I bought a DH mix and while it was not offensive, I really had no clue as to what it was really supposed to taste like...so basically a vanilla/butter flavor? With a bit of a tang from buttermilk? I am off to Google a real RV recipe (unless, of course, we could persuade you to part with your recipe icon_razz.gif

Cathy

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #47 of 52

While on this gross subject....After thinking about the amount of red food coloring, I online researched Red Velvet with beets as color. Has anyone tried a recipe like that? I think I'll try the one with the pickled beet juice in place of the vinegar but can't wrap my brain around 1 1/2 to 2 cups of pureed beets in a cake.

costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:52pm
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

While on this gross subject....After thinking about the amount of red food coloring, I online researched Red Velvet with beets as color. Has anyone tried a recipe like that? I think I'll try the one with the pickled beet juice in place of the vinegar but can't wrap my brain around 1 1/2 to 2 cups of pureed beets in a cake.

I don't even know what beets taste like, to tell the truth. Maybe when they cook out they don't have much of a flavor.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:31am
post #49 of 52

icon_confused.gif Well, I guess SOME people don't get my sick sense of humor! icon_wink.gif
But that's okay, I'll be a good girl from now on! icon_biggrin.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #50 of 52

Does anyone know how boiled frosting holds up on a decorated cake? I'm going to make a vanilla bc, a cream cheese bc, and a white chocolate bc, and maybe also a white chocolate cream cheese bc. I know boiled frosting is a classic with r/v, but would you ever mess with that for a wedding cake?

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:23pm
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Does anyone know how boiled frosting holds up on a decorated cake? I'm going to make a vanilla bc, a cream cheese bc, and a white chocolate bc, and maybe also a white chocolate cream cheese bc. I know boiled frosting is a classic with r/v, but would you ever mess with that for a wedding cake?

I tried it once for a Smith Island cake I made for my MIL. Not a big fan of it, and I personally wouldn't try decorating with it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:20am
post #52 of 52

Have tried the boiled icing and the taste did not appeal, nor is it amenable to decorating with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%