Diabetic/sugar Free Cake?

Baking By michel30014 Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm by michel30014

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 8

What to do? I have never made a diabetic cake much less any type of diabetic icing. I am due to make a diabetic/sugar free cake by next Sunday or Wednesday for a guy at church for a belated birthday. His brother told me he likes all flavors of cake and such, but likes many colors. He plays bass in our church choir. I would really like for it to be a great cake but not sure exactly what to do yet.
What is the BEST diabetic/sugar free icing to make that is easy?? And doesnt take too many ingredients that I may not have. Its only going to be either a 9 or 10 in round cake. I can use a boxed sugar free mix but how to extend the recipe (for height) without adding regular sugar.
Obviously, he likes music since he plays the bass. Any suggestions on what to do for a musical theme for a guy.
Suggestions, please! Thanks in advance!! icon_razz.gif

7 replies
mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 8

Duncan Hines and Pillsbury now make a sugar free cake and frosting. I know one is a yellow cake mix and chocolate frosting. Not bad tasting and did not effect my sugar.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 8

Sugarshack has a sugar free cake recipe on her blog that uses Splenda and a chocolate frosting. You can use stabilized whipping cream and use sugar substitute to sweeten it. I would not think you can make a traditional buttercream and make it sugar free. One thing about sugar free cakes that I've read (I'm making one this week) is that they don't rise as much as regular cake. So I would say skip the extended and make a double batch of the sugar free cake if you're going to use a box mix.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 8

Look for cakes baked with agave nectar. Supposedly it doesn't affect your sugar.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_1_71/ai_n31327439/

I'll try to look for some.

Musical cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1716986

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 8

UPDATE: Hey guys,
I just found a diabetic buttercream frosting.. Im thinking of trying it.
Recipe:
1-14 c cold water
5 T. nonfat dry milk powder
6 ¼ T. white all purpose flour
5/8 c butter, room temperature
25 Splenda No Calorie Sweetener packets
1 ¼ t. vanilla
5/8 c margarine, room temperature
Mix water, dry milk, and flour together. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, put container in cool water, and stir until cool.
Cream butter, margarine and sugar substitute together until fluffy. Add the cooled sauce 1 T. at a time to margarine while beating. Beat in the vanilla at high speed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Now, heres my question, do you think this would be enough to cover a 10 in cake and second question Do you think this would hold up to piping decorations?

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 8

Flour is not diabetic friendly - look for cake recipes that use nutflour instead of wheat. Wheat flour is just as bad as sugar.

George Stella's new cookbook has a diabetic cake and so does this website.

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake01.html

michel30014 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 8

Well, here is the finished product. My friend, Jordan loved his cake and said it was delicious. I did end up using the above diabetic icing recipe. I had to make sure his mom okayed the flour part. I sure didn't want to take any chances.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1824541.html

Tell me your thoughts. Keep in mind, though, this icing wasn't the same consistency as normal icing so it looks a bit different.

Thanks for looking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%