Is Your Makins' Clay Extruder Really Hard To Turn?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm by Debi2

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their Makins clay extruder becoming almost too hard to turn. It worked great when I first bought it, but now it's horrible. It's so hard to turn my opposite hand gets practically raw from holding the extruder on the textured area while turning....hope that makes sense?

9 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 10

Try greasing the works with some Crisco.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

Mine is not so difficult. Try softening your paste a bit by kneading in some shortening.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 10

I have not had this problem. I've had mine for over a year. I would take it apart and see if there is dried fondant stuck in parts that would effect it. I'm assuming it turns fine when it's not in the tube portion. Maybe soak each part in hot soapy water to disolve any residual sugar. Good luck.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with sillywabbitz. Take it apart and examine all the parts for dried fondant or other obstructions. Once the handle is unscrewed, can you pull the plunger through the tube easily? If not, I'd check to see if the gasket on the plunger is damaged or if something is stuck underneath it, as well as checking for dried fondant inside the tube.

Debi2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone! I will try the crisco and see if that helps. I always take it all apart to clean when I am done using it, so it's not due to any buildup or leftover fondant/gumpaste. I will also try thinning my gumpaste even more than I have been to see if that helps.

Deb

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 10

I've had the build up above the plunger part before, which isn't fun when you realize it after it is dried.

Is it hard to turn when it is empty or just when there is fondant in it?

Debi2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 10

It's a little harder to turn when it's empty (compared to when it was new). I thought maybe it was that rubber gasket around the plunger, but it looks fine and fits well, so that's probably not the problem...it feels like that's where the "drag, or friction" is located. But, yes, it's especially hard to turn once I have the fondant or gumpaste in. So, maybe it is the texture of the gumpaste. I hate to get it too soft because then it tends to stretch out of shape so easily. I guess I just need more practice icon_biggrin.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 10

Try warming up your fondant and/or gumpaste for just a couple of seconds in the microwave before putting it thru the extruder.

Debi2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks MissLisa, I will try that too!

FYI, I just got my extruder out to play with it and see if I could come to a conclusion as to what is causing the problem. Well, I discovered if I don't screw the top cap on (the end with the handle) all the way...maybe only 1/3 to 1/2, it works sooo much better. How weird is that? ha ha icon_confused.gif

Thanks everyone for your help....I really appreciate it! We'll see how it goes from here. I will still try your other suggestions too though! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%