Air Brush

Decorating By MommaDukes Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm by debbief

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 16

I am thinking of purchasing an airbrush, I am a newbie so I have no idea what to buy. dunce.gif
Does anyone have a recommendation?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Pat

15 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 16

There are a range of airbrushes. I chose the one from KopyKake. Not only is it easy to use the people there are very helpful.

You'll have lots of fun with it.

MommaDukes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 16

thanks auntginn =)

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 16

I have a procat. Got it off ebay, was a great deal and I have worked it to death, and has lasted...

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 16

THe Sugar Art, who used to be European Cake Gallery, sell one. I really like it.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:39am
post #6 of 16

I just bought a cheapy one last week from TCP Global (online via Amazon) it was like $70, I had never used one before so thought it was a good starting point to see if I could do it with out spending a small fortune. I've been playing with it and it seems good to me so far, no problems at all, very easy to use.

auntginn Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:01am
post #7 of 16

Oh by the way, there are so... many tutorials on youtube on how to use them as well. You'll be a pro in no time. I personally like the ones that teach in an artistic manner. Not necessarily working on cakes.

When I first bought one all I could find was to just spray the cake. Now we are challenged to let our creative juices flow.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:03am
post #8 of 16

I bought one a month ago. Can't afford Kopykake here in Oz - it is ridiculously expensive!

So you need to buy a compressor that optimally works in the 15-30 psi range. This means a small compressor only! No tank necessary if you are only using a gravity-fed airbrush pen.

Spend a good amount on the pen. I have one by Sparmax, its excellent! It has dual control, gravity feed with a large cup, and a screw adjustment you can use to 'lock' the maximum air/colour flow you want for a given job.

I am still experimenting with mine, but I love it, and can see it being very useful for my 3D cakes as well as pearlescent finishes.

Remember too you will need colours, plus a well-ventilated area in which to work, and maybe an alcohol cleaner for your pen plus tools to keep it thoroughly clean. Also - if you aren't buying Kopykake, you will probably need an airbrush holder, but these are very cheap to buy. I made a spray 'booth' out of a large cardboard box (like, fridge sized) and situated it close to a window.

HTH!

MommaDukes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone for all the input, I don't want to spend alot because at this point I am just doing cakes as gifts and sending to work with my DH and learning a lot. Especially from this site.
Please keep the info coming.
Thanks again, Pat

MommaDukes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 16

I got my airbrush yeah. I ordered it from TCP global and took a class last night.

Now off to You Tube for more learnin'.

Thanks for all the input, I love this site.

auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 16

Congratulations and enjoy!! Oh yeah don't forget the pics.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 16

I've been thinking about getting an airbrush for awhile now.

Here's a question for those of you that use them...do you use the airbrush to color your icing/fondant after covering your cake? I'm a hobby baker and I make my own mmf. It would be so nice if I didn't have to hassle with kneading the color into my fondant.

Rethy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rethy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 16

I bought an airbrush form, Copy Cat, I believe. But for a compressor, my daughter suggested using a compressor for breathing treatments. She gave me one that she use to use when her child was little. It works like a charm. She said she seen one at Goodwill for 10 bucks. So you might think about that. The air comes out, so nothing would be going into the opeining so the machine would be fine to use. Just saying.

auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 16

Yes debbif, The idea is to finish your cake with no color, then spray on the color with the airbrush. However in the case of pearl finishes, you can spray over a color for the pearl effect.

I would buy as inexpensive a set up as possible until I learn how to use it or see how much use you will get out of it.

I wish I knew this getting started, I have spent my fair share of guns.

debbief Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks auntginn. I think I'll do a little research. Maybe I'll ask for one for christmas icon_smile.gif

debbief Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks auntginn. I think I'll do a little research. Maybe I'll ask for one for christmas icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%