This Is A Repost But I Really Need Some Advice

Decorating By cakestars Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 5:08am by PJ37

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 13

I'm helping out a friend of mine by making her son's 1st birthday cake. She wants one similar to the Mickey cake in my photos. It's for this Saturday so I'm in need of some help ASAP...

First, the Mickey in the photo I posted is just a printed paper image. I was wondering what the best way to make this edible would be? I'm thinking colorflow but open to better suggestions.

Second, the ribbons that Mickey is busting out of, how should I stick these in the cake? They will be fondant and the cake will be buttercream iced. I want it to be as clean looking as possible of course.

Thank you so much for looking and any help!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 13

I'm sorry, I couldn't find a Mickey cake in your photos.

cakestars Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #3 of 13

http://www.jenny-cakes.com/3dgallerydetail.html

Sorry about that...here's a link icon_smile.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #4 of 13

I like Chocolate transfers.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #5 of 13

Hi Cakestars - I'm not a super cake guru...but I've read a bunch of posts.

Maybe you got confused, but there is no Mickey in your gallery. Maybe you mean, you posted it in your favorites? If so, we can't see your favorites.

If the cake is not a 3d, meaning it has some type of a flat surface - I've heard of people getting an edible image from a local baking supply store. Although, you'd have to supply the image I would imagine. Or, some folks have done a frozen buttercream transfer. It's a process where you set wax paper over the exact image you want & then sort of "color"/pipe the corresponding colors of buttercream. Freeze & you're supposed to have a "sheet of frozen icing to place right on top of your cake. I've heard others talk about how it's a bit tricky because you have to think in layers? Which part to color in first? I'm sure it's not horribly difficult...just takes time. I'm sure there are tutorials on CC somewhere. Or, check youtube or google.

The ribbons bursting...sounds like a job for cut & shaped gumpaste strips. You have to let them dry for a some time. So, starting them earlier rather than later is a good idea. It may be that you want to put a skewer in them or a floral wire before they dry, so you can insert them in your cake. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about because I can't see the picture....but, the explanation may help you jump start a process in your brain a little....

Also - be cautioned: you aren't supposed to stick wires straight into a cake. Make sure you insert a stirrer or some sort of straw in the cake & then the wire in the straw. It's a health issue...

One more warning - copyright issues: You may or may not get people upset with you for reproducing a Mickey cake with out permission/purchased license from the owner. Disney? I don't know for sure who owns Mickey...but it's likely you won't get permission & there fore it's against the law. I've seen a million Mickey cakes on here & if I had children...I probably would have tried one myself....but none the less, people take their copyright topics really seriously on here. Wouldn't want you to feel attacked.

Well, I hope some of that helped. Like I said....I'm not a cake guru...but I've read quite a bit on CC. If you get stuck & you don't get any more help on here...don't forget to search online for tutorials.....they are out there!

cakestars Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #6 of 13

oh no! i don't want anyone to think i'm copying this cake directly. i did fail to mention this in my first post. i am using this cake as inspiration only because she went out of her way to let me know what sort of cake style she like for his birthday. i would never, and have never copied someone's cake! what would even be the point of that, i don't know but it's not for me! i like to express my own creativity.

i wasn't able to post the cake into my gallery because the photo wasn't mine but i did post a link to it in a reply above.

thanks for all the suggestions!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #7 of 13

In the Mickey photos, it looks like the cakes are finished with buttercream, trimmed with fondant. It looks like the loops fold back and just lean into the buttercream. (cake with black ribbon)

I clicked on the photo of the cake with the black ribbon and it blew up huge. You can see were the fondant is just placed on top of the cake...optical illusion.

As for transferring Mickey? Ya got me there, sis!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #8 of 13

You can make a Mickey Mouse cake for your own child, or a friend's child. As long as you don't charge for it.

Lots of people make chocolate transfers for this kind of design. Color flow would work, too.

cakestars Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #9 of 13

i'll have to look into chocolate transfers...never tried them icon_smile.gif

i'm not charging for the cake, it's a favor for a friend...and a learning experience for me!

thank you all so, so, so much!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 13

*Thought bubble appears over tokazodo's head*

I'll betcha you could make some really cool old fashioned looking mouskateer ears outta some black fondant! I wonder how they would look on your cake?

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:12am
post #11 of 13

Ohhh Cakestars - Holy Shamoly!!! I wasn't harpooning you...not at all!!!! Oh boy - I'm sorry if you got that from my post....I must have been posting when you were posting the link.

Didn't mean to make you feel that way!! I just have seen some intimidating comments related to copyright stuff. Since you were new, I didn't want anyone to make you feel bad. And...look, I apparently freaked you out anyway!!!!! A million apologies!

Can you put an edible image on fondant & have it dry that way? Also - it'd be one intricately cut cookie....but you could technically, pipe it on a cookie....

PJ37 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:47am
post #12 of 13

Here's some info on chocolate transfers...perhaps this will help!

http://agardenofcakes.blogspot.com/2007/11/chocolate-transfer-eeyores.html

Google "Mickey Mouse coloring page" and you can usually find an image for the transfer.

PJ37 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 5:08am
post #13 of 13

This is an excellent article on chocolate transfers. It helped me the most!
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%