Can I Stack Without Using Dowels??

Decorating By JanessaJo Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm by JanessaJo

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 14

I plan on using a 12 inch round pan, 8 inch pan, and then a small 5 inch round pan. I want to stack these on each other (only one layer a piece), and I assume since im not making a tiered cake I don't need dowels but I'm concerned that since the weight won't be distributed evenly that I may need to.....

suggestions?

thank you =)

13 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 14

Honestly, I think it'll be just fine. I've made 3-layer (6" tall) heavy sheet cakes before without dowels that were fine. Since yours are progressively smaller, it's less weight.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 14

Ah, but you are making a tiered cake. That's exactly the description of a tiered cake.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 14

I would use dowels. And BTW, when you stack them on top of each other that way, that is a tiered cake. I would be concerned about the weight of the cakes too. People under estimate how heavy a cake can really be. I'd be worried about your 12" bottem tier caving in. Good luck!

JanessaJo Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 14

well shoot, i was hoping all responses would say i didn't need dowels, lol, since I've never used them before....

I got one day to decide to do this cake, or try something simpler =) thanks for the responses!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 14

I know it's not the same size as yours, but I did a 9" cake, three layers tall, and it really did need the support of dowels.

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 14

It's not only the weight of the "cake"....but everything else that goes on top....icing, fondant, decorations, etc. It all gets mighty heavy once it's all put together!

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 14

I have made many two tiered cakes that were not doweled, but never a three tier. Even now I always dowel the two tier cakes....just in case!

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 14

I'm fairly new to all this but I have always used dowels in anything I'm stacking just in case!! The cakes are much heavier than you think. I did a 9", 7" and 5" half ball and used dowels for fear of it sagging. It really was no problem at all and it's better to make sure. Believe me if I can do it, anyone can!!! icon_lol.gif good luck

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 14

Don't be intimidated by dowels. Its super simple. Put each cake on its own same sized cake board. Buy wodden dowel rods (or I have seen people mention they use straws). Frost, (and covered in fondant if that is your plan) your cakes, and start this process with the bottom tier. Insert the dowel rod in, make a mark with a pencil level with the top of the frosting/fondant, remove it, cut the rod with some kind of shear, and reinsert in the hole you already made. Probably do 3-4 per layer, but make sure they arent too far out. You want the tier above to cover them. Do that with the middle layer as well (no need to dowel the top). The dowels will give support to the cake board/cake above it, without causing sagging, or worries about colapsing. Hope that makes sense. Anyone is free to correct me or add some tips to help out if I wasn't very clear. Maybe look on youtube as well, I'm sure someone has posted a video of some kind. Good luck!

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 14

Edna has a great video for dowling/stacking tiers.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 14

I wouldn't do it without some kind of support in there, unless you want to be on here shortly after you make it talking about the disaster!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 14

When in doubt...dowel. And have fun!

JanessaJo Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 14

thanks for all the responses, im on my way to walmart here in a few to pick some up and try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%